Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bootable Windows 8.1 USB

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I am trying to reinstall WIndows 8.1 on one of my HDD's. I have read that if I have the .iso file, which I do, then I can create a bootable Win8.1 install disk with a USB drive. I used the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool as recommended and formatted my 8GB USB drive and created the boot disk, only it won't boot. I shut down, remove the Windows 7 HDD and try to boot off the USB to reinstall 8.1 on the other HDD but once it gets past the Asus bios screen, it just goes to a flashing cursor and does nothing, which is exactly what happens when I try to boot off the Win8.1 install that is currently on the HDD. I have the USB drive as the #1 boot option but it doesn't seem to see it. What am I doing wrong? Why won't my machine see the bootable USB drive?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Is this standard BIOS or UEFI

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Well I'm not sure. It's a 4 year old Asus G73 that originally ran Windows 7 64 bit. Does that tell us whether it's standard BIOS or UEFI?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
 it just goes to a flashing cursor and does nothing, which is exactly what happens when I try to boot off the Win8.1 install that is currently on the HDD. 

Have you checked that the HDD itself is not defective - Is the HDD listed in the BIOS, it should look something like ST500LT012 for a Seagate or WD5000LPVX for Western  Digital etc.

Having checked the notebook specs the 4 year old G73 range are not UEFI platform as opposed to standard BIOS so that is not the cause.

The USB device is set as the first boot device but is the target HDD set as the second boot device.

You could try a fresh download of the ISO but using Rufus instead of the Windows download tool, details here

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP

http://www.microsoft...indowstogo.aspx