Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can only one cloning at a time be put on one medium?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I have already cloned a disk of one of my computers.  Using Macrium on another I got the warning that it would erase all data on that external enclosure.

Is it a fact that one cannot add extra cloning on a single medium?

Please advise - thanks.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Cloning make more sense when upgrading to a bigger HDD for example, for backup you should create a disk image you can create several images on a external hard drive for example.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thanks for that. I'm wanting to clone more than one disk on two computers as I'm attempting to add Windows 7 to get round the XP 'glitch' to save the XP as a fail safe  and to use my one enclosure which has only the one clone on it to avoid wasting all the remaining space.

I don't think one can boot from just a disk image, yes?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I don't think one can boot from just a disk image, yes?

It's possible but is not a simple matter... and not using a Macrium image.

http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I have been informed elsewhere that cloning 'assumes' that just that image/copy only will be in situ on the recording medium so it will wipe anything else on it.

As your suggestion as how it might be done is quite tricky I won't be up to tacking that so I'll have to overwrite what's on my enclosure disk - not very critical. I can press on now - thanks.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

As your suggestion as how it might be done is quite tricky I won't be up to tacking that so I'll have to overwrite what's on my enclosure disk - not very critical. I can press on now - thanks.

Sorry, English isn't my mother language maybe because of that I didn't understand your last paragraph!

Creating an Image backup to the external disk will not overwrite anything on the disk, only some big files are created there on the folder you choose.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Right, all understood now - thanks for your time and input on my query.