Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nvidia Chipset, ATI GFX is that ok?

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Another probably daft question from me im sure you are getting sick of them.
Does the Nvidia Nforce4 chipset mobos support the use of ATI GFX cards or do i need to find an ATI chipset board. Or is PCI express just pci express and it will work on any motherboard and im getting worried over nothing.

Oh and i didnt want to start a new thread for this and it didnt get answered in the last thread i stupidly added to the end. Does the AMD 64 PIB come with the thermal paste/pads or should i get some.

Edited by warriorscot, 10 June 2005 - 07:35 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
In the hope of this thread being looked at ive got another question to dump in here.
If an NF4 mobo says it has support up to pc3200 does that mean that is the limit to the speed of ram you can put on it.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
exactly warriorscot, up to pc 3200

:tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
jrm is right about the ram, get PC3200.

about the chipset, you can use an ati card on an nvidia chipset no problem.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thanks i thought you could i just thought it safer to ask than just go ahead and buy the stuff and regret it later.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Had a great big post typed...but I gave up :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Does anyone know if you get the thermal material included with a PIB 64 processors.

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

exactly warriorscot, up to pc 3200

:tazz:

View Post

I'm not sure.. but can't you put faster memory in and it will just run at the max possible? like for example, say your computer takes pc2700.. can't you put 3200 in and it will be fine but it will only run at 2700 speed?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that is correct. it doenst hurt to put in ram thats faster then what the mobo/processor can run, it will just run at the slower speed.
things become problematic if you puta stick of slower ram in. so if you have a stick of DDR400 (PC3200), and add a stick of DDR333 (PC2700), then both sticks will run at the 333 speed.

also, if your trying to run your ram in dual channel mode, the ram needs to be matched- two sticks of the same make/model, to ensure it will work correctly.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So has no-one bought a PIB 64 processor then?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Another question will an ati card work on an Sli board.
I ask because in looking at fatality boards and the SLi one is better value for money than the plain NF4 ultra model. At the moment its either the fatality or the msi nf4 platinum so i thought i would check in case it affected my descicion. (uguru panel looks so cool)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I imagine it would, no reason for it not to.
I havent done a lot of research into SLI yet, so I dont know fully how it works, but I think gives you 2 PCIE 8x graphics slots, instead of 1 PCIE 16x slot.
the speed of the first slot may change depending on whether you have the mobo jumpers set for single or dual card, I dont know.

all in all, its just kind of humorous that your looking at these nvidia specialized mobos (SLI), and want to install ATI graphics. dont get me wrong, I am NOT laughing at you or making fun in any way! I use ATI myself.

but it is kinda funny :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it is the fact that the sli boards come with better features on the normal board, and i might get a nvidia card later down the line its always good to have options.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ATI is coming out with their version of the dual card thing called crossfire, but I havent researched it all yet. might be something to check into.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh ive checked and checked and raked im even getting a compatible gfx card for crossfire it will be alot better than sli as the cards dont have to be identical. Unfortunatley there ati 200 boards are out but not crossfire ones and there is no sign of there release before the start of july when ill be buildin ma new rig.

Mind you i still want to know if pib processors come with thermal compund seems a daft question but it doesnt tell you.