Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop not seeing external drive

• Please log in to reply

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I have an HP Pavillion notebook that doesn't see a Toshiba Cavio external drive. I plugged the drive into a desktop and it saw the drive. I plugged a mouse into both usb slots on the laptop and it worked.The laptop is Windows 7 and the desktop is Windows 8.1  Any idea why the laptop isn't seeing the drive?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Larrycleve

Two things that comes to mind are low power or a weak signal from the notebooks USB ports.

Can you try the device on another notebook type computer and preferably with an alternative USB cable.

Is there a battery low warning light on the Toshiba device.

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I seem to have narrowed it down. I've been trying to install Storagecraft Shadow protect. It doesn't install due to snapman.sys being detected. I followed the instructions to remove snapman.sys and Shadowprotect installs but the external drive is not seen. If I restore to a time where snapman.sys is back the drive is seen but Shadowprotect will not install. What to do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I am not familiar with the software so took a look at it online, did you uninstall all of the Acronis associated software as most of what I have just read suggests that the two softwares do not go well together.

It may be worth contacting the software provider here

Sorry that I could not offer any suggestions for you.

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I never used Acronis so I don't know where snapman.sys came from. I'll contact Storagecraft. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Have you ever used Apricorn Snapshot API or Seagate DiscWizard as they also use snapman.sys

You are welcome btw  :) 

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Got it to work! I noticed in device manager it saw the drive but in properties, general, it said the driver software could not be installed due to corruption, error 39.

Looking on the net it said this was due to a registry problem. Following the shot in the dark theory I ran this registry cleaner called Ace Utilities. I've used it before and it's very reliable. It found 750 errors which were removed.

Then I noticed an icon on the desktop for Seagate Diskwizard which was pointed out to be made by Acronis and used snapman.sys. I removed it with Revo Uninstaller and rebooted.

The drive is now seen and works with Shadowprotect backup software. Thanks for everyone's help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Have you ever used Apricorn Snapshot API or Seagate DiscWizard as they also use snapman.sys

You are welcome btw  :) 

Have you ever used either of the above!

Glad you got it sorted in any event and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: