Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LaCie External drive keeps disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
I have a LaCie external 1TB drive that keeps disconnecting itself. I can leave my machine for a while and when I come back to it and try to access the drive, it tells me the folders are empty. It will not show anything until I kill the power to it and turn it back on.

I don't know how long the drive stays connected before it doesn't show on my computer anymore, but this is a daily occurence.

The drive is: 1TB LaCie Hard Disk USB2.0 U

It's malware free :) as I've run scans on it and it's clean. Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello pystryker

Have you backed up all important data from the drive as a precaution.

Due to the folder behaviour I am not sure if it could be this but some LACIE devices have three physical power switch positions which are Off - Auto - On, if the device is normally used with the switch in the On position (permanently active mode) but has been accidently switched to Auto (power saving mode) position it could explain the device disconnecting itself.

Checking the USB cables and ports** + trying the LACIE drive connected to another computer to see how it behaves would be a good starting point. 

** The computer that the drive is connected to could be losing/turning off the power to the USB ports, again as a power saving measure or as a result of a possible fault.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hello pystryker

Hi :)

Have you backed up all important data from the drive as a precaution.

In progress. :)

Due to the folder behaviour I am not sure if it could be this but some LACIE devices have three physical power switch positions which are Off - Auto - On, if the device is normally used with the switch in the On position (permanently active mode) but has been accidently switched to Auto (power saving mode) position it could explain the device disconnecting itself.

I checked the power switch and it's only a On/Off switch.

Checking the USB cables and ports** + trying the LACIE drive connected to another computer to see how it behaves would be a good starting point.

I've checked the cables and there doesn't seem to be any problem, but I'm going to hook it up to my laptop and see how it does for the next couple of hours.

** The computer that the drive is connected to could be losing/turning off the power to the USB ports, again as a power saving measure or as a result of a possible fault.

I'll post back and let you know how it did with my laptop and we can go from there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Well, it seems to have done fine on the laptop. I'm going to reconnect it to my main machine, but in a different port and see what happens.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

That is a good sign on behalf of the drive itself.

robertd12

robertd12

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Hello, go to device manager, find your disc and go into properties and look if there is power saving management.

If there is not try to localise the USB port the disc is connected into and turn off the power saving mode.

Edited by robertd12, 07 April 2014 - 02:29 PM.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hello, go to device manager, find your disc and go into properties and look if there is power saving management.

Hi :)

No joy there, no power saving management found for that disk.

After a few hours, the drive has disconnected itself. I've located the USB port, but do not see how to turn off power saving mode.

BTW, running 64-Bit Vista OS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello pystryker

Have you made any progress with this.

NB: As a courtesy I held off chiming in again until Robert had had the chance to respond to your reply #8  ;)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hi, yes I do. For some reason, Robert's post disappeared and it shows him as a non active member. :unsure:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Most odd  :wacko:

I suggest that we check the voltages first.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Here's a screenshot of the results. :)

speedfan_zps41d11e5c.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Please download and run HWMonitor and then provide a comparison screenshot for us, details here

Your temperatures are not alarmingly high but they are high for a computer that is not under load, can I suggest that you keep either HWMonitor or Speedfan installed so that you can monitor your temps.

Please refer to the attachment below for how to keep the power maintained to the USB ports, uncheck them all and see how it goes, if the issue is resolved check the boxes one at a time until you identify the one that supplies the port that the LACIE device is connected to.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Here's the shot, also, when looking at the USB ports, I checked all the ones that had the Power Management tab.  Some of them didn't have the Power Management tab.

screenie_zps7e9fb03e.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Voltages are spot on  :thumbsup:

Did you uncheck the USB options that were available, if yes all you can do now is see how it goes, if the issue still happens please try all available USB ports until each one has been tested.