Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LaCie External drive keeps disconnecting

• Please log in to reply

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Voltages are spot on  :thumbsup:

Did you uncheck the USB options that were available, if yes all you can do now is see how it goes, if the issue still happens please try all available USB ports until each one has been tested.

Yes, I unchecked them all.  I'll keep checking it and see if it stops.  Then we can proceed from there. :) :thumbsup:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks pystryker  :thumbsup:

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Thank you as well, phill.  You may have saved me from glaring malevolently with evil intentions at this drive every time I walk by my machine. ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello pystryker

Just checking how things are with the LACIE HDD.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hello pystryker

Just checking how things are with the LACIE HDD.

Hey phill

Still having the same problems with random disconnects. I can see what USB port it is in, but when I click on the properties for that port, all I get is General, Driver, and Details tabs. No power management tab.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update pystryker  :thumbsup:

You may wish to try the workaround suggested by Microsoft that I have copy/paste below;

Selective Suspend Feature;

You might want to disable this feature for server products where power management is not important or required. 

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To disable the Selective Suspend feature, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
  2. Type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor opens.
  3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
  4. If the DisableSelectiveSuspend registry entry is present, double-click it. If it is not present, create the entry. To create the entry, follow these steps:
    1. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
    2. Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.
    3. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
  5. In the Value data field, type 1 to disable the Selective Suspend feature, and then click OK.

NB: Apologies for not checking back sooner, I incorrectly assumed that the issue was resolved  :oops:

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Ok, done. :) Let's see if that solves the problem.

NB: Apologies for not checking back sooner, I incorrectly assumed that the issue was resolved :oops:

No worries, my friend :)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Quick update: I made the change in the registry, and it disconnected again. Not sure how long it took to disconnect, but it did it again.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hey Phill :)

I wanted to let you know you can close this thread.  This problem along with some other problems regarding corrupt files that sfc couldn't fix has led to a nuke and pave of my hd.  So far, the external drive has not disconnected since then.  :)

I appreciate your help! :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello pystryker

A pain in the proverbial having to start from scratch but at least you have resolved the issue  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hello pystryker

A pain in the proverbial having to start from scratch but at least you have resolved the issue  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw  :)

Indeed :)  I think it was about time to scrub the drive and reinstall anyway.  I had been getting errors and such, but this thing hasn't had a format and re-install in about 5 years. :thumbsup: