Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hanging Indents

• Please log in to reply

acmatters

acmatters

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I have a word processing question for MS Word. Have been testing with a company and they tell me that I am creating a hanging indent by using the sliding marker in the ruler bar, rather than using a tab to indent the first line of the paragraph. All other lines in that paragraph are going out to the left margin. I am simply hitting the tab key to indent that first line. They say that "Whenever a new paragraph is automatically indented by Word, instead of being indented using the default tab settings, it is a hanging indent."

Are there some default settings that I need to change to prevent this from happening? I'm pretty confused as to why this is happening. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Advertisements

acmatters

acmatters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Let me rephrase this question to hopefully simplify things ...

How do I tab the first line of a paragraph in without creating a hanging indent?

bc16972

bc16972

• Pip
  • 2 posts
acmatters: Here's what the MS Word 2003 Help has to say-->>

Set an indent by using the TAB key:

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
Under Automatically as you type, select the Set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces check box.
To indent the first line of a paragraph, click in front of the line.
To indent an entire paragraph, click in front of any line but the first line.

Press the TAB key.
Note To remove the indent, press BACKSPACE before moving the insertion point. You can also click Undo on the Edit menu.

Create a hanging indent:

Select the paragraph in which you want to create a hanging indent.
If you don't see the horizontal ruler, click Ruler on the View menu.
On the horizontal ruler, drag the Hanging Indent marker to the position at which you want the indent to start.

Tip
For more precision in setting a hanging indent, use the Indents and Spacing tab (Format menu, Paragraph command). In the Special list under Indentation, select Hanging. In the By box, set the amount of space for the hanging indent.

Hope that helps!