Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FixMBR error message - Non-Standard or Invalid Master Boot Record

MBR

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

To import your data from IE:  https://support.mozi...ternet-explorer

I was looking at your Speccy log and noticed you have both Wireless and Wired connections.  Sometimes this confuses Windows so it might be better to turn off the wireless and just used the wired.  (Or the other way around but wired is generally better than wireless).

Also wondering if the temps might be going up on it.  Install Speedfan:  

Download, save and Install it  then run it.

It will tell you your temps in real time.  Speccy was showing 69 -if it goes much higher I would worry about it.  Time to take it apart and clean it.

Start, Run, services.msc, OK then find the GoogleUpdate Service and right click on it and change the Startup Type: to  Disabled then OK.

Did you ever install  UPHClean?

1. Download UPHClean. To download and install UPHClean, visit the following Microsoft Web site: You will be prompted to validate your copy of Windows.
  2. As soon as you have downloaded the UPHClean installer (UPHClean-Setup.msi), double-click the installer to begin the installation.
  3. In the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service installation wizard, click Next.
  4. In the License Agreement page, read the license agreement, select I Agree, and then click Next.
  5. In the Select Installation Folder page, click Next.
  6. In the Confirm Installation page, click Next.
  7. When UPHClean is installed, click Close

Note UPHClean runs as a service in Windows and will start automatically every time that Windows starts.
  8. To confirm that UPHClean is installed and running, click Start, and then click Run.
  9. In Open box, type the following text, and then click OK:

services.msc
  10. In Services, in the Name column, locate User Profile Hive Cleanup. In the Status column, confirm that the User Profile Hive Cleanup service is Started.

Advertisements

vhende2000

vhende2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hi, Ron,

A couple of things:

I haven't imported the data from IE to Firefox but I will.

I originally had both the wireless and the wired connections set up, the wireless for a laptop computer in another room, and the wired directly to my desktop computer off the gateway/router.  I did not, however, realize that I had my main desktop PC connected to both at the same time.  Since my daughter is not now staying with us, I just disconnected the wireless service.  Yes, the wired connection was set at 100Mbps and the wireless was set at 54Mbps. 

I installed SpeedFan and get 64 deg C on the CPU and 36 deg C on the Harddrive.  I have the cover off it, so I'll just get in there and see what gives.

I did,now, install UPHClean and it is started.

Now, an interesting situation.  I did go in and found GoogleUpdate Service, but I found two different ones: (gupdate) and (gupdatem) and I disabled both.

I also found Google Software Updater set to Manual which I left as is.

I do have a Google Toolbar on IE8 and I did have, but uninstalled, Google Earth from the desktop.

Can I safely just get rid of any of these, or should I just leave them as is?

Vernon

Edited by vhende2000, 29 April 2014 - 06:29 PM.

vhende2000

vhende2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

ALSO

I have managed, I believe, in importing at least a majority of the stuff over from IE to Firefox, however, I need help in trying to move over the list of recently visited sites that shows up whenever you click on the small down arrow at the right side of the URL box in IE8, right next to the refresh arrow.. 

In my case this includes sites like https://Chaseonline.chase.comhttp://www.geekstogo.com, http://netflix.com, http://comcast.com, http://ebay.com, etc.

I don't see where this might be on the Firefox page.

I use this a lot to jump from one site to another, frequently, without having to retype the URL again and again.

Any suggestions?

Vernon

Edited by vhende2000, 29 April 2014 - 12:21 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

If you don't have any google products then you can uninstall the updaters.

The most visited sites that you see with the down arrow should have come over with browsing history when you imported the other stuff.  I suppose as a work around you can just copy the site url from IE then switch to Firefox and paste it in.  That should teach Firefox about the site tho it's a bit of work.

Temperature increases are usually the result of dust build up on the CPU heatsink or in the case vents.  I usually leave it connected but off so that it has a ground then use a vacuum hose and a small brush to clean.  Sometimes you actuatlly have to unscrew the 4 screws that hold the fan in place to really clean the heatsink.  Do not lift the heatsink off of the CPU!  If you do  the two surfaces will need to be cleaned and a new coating of thermal paste applied.  Before you put the lid back on, turn it on and watch the fan.  It should zoom up to speed in very little time and should not make a lot of noise.  Otherwise it needs to be replaced.

I think you can safely turn off (set the Startup Type: to Disabled):  Universal Plug and Play Device Host service.  It's not working and just causing errors and boot delays.

Doesn't look like you turned the SNMP off.

I suppose we still have an ipsec problem?

vhende2000

vhende2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hi, Ron,

I turned SNMP service off and also Disabled SNMP Trap Service and Stopped it.  Note that I know that I had stopped these previously.

I still can not start the Ipsec service.

I still can not install either the FTM 2005 program nor the FTM 2005 SE program, same errors as before.

Vernon

I still cannot attach one of my data files, they are too big.

Edited by vhende2000, 02 May 2014 - 06:22 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

IPSEC may be the reason you can't install your programs. 

I wonder if the Fixit here would help:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811259

or if it won't help let's just reset the winsock and tcp/ip

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt.  Type with an Enter after each line in the code box:

ipconfig  /flushdns

netsh  winsock   reset  catalog

netsh  int  ip  reset  \reset.log

Reboot and try the

net start ipsec

Does it give you an error?

vhende2000

vhende2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hi,

I'm confused.

I did not do the FixIt part above but I did just reset the winsock and tcp/ip.

I rebooted, and hit Start/Run/cmd.exe/net start ipsec, and it came back with "The requested service has already been started".

I then went to Start/Run/Services.msc/OK and IPSEC Services/properties/ and it was set to manual/stopped.

I tried to Start but got the error message about unknown authentication service.

So, which is it?  First it says that the service has already been started and then it doesn't let you start the service because it is stopped?

no wonder people get confused with XP.

Vernon

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Ipsec should be set to Automatic.  Is it?  If not can you change the Startup Type: to Automatic and click OK.

vhende2000

vhende2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

OK,

I reset IPSEC service to automatic, but still could not start it.  I still get the same error message.

I rebooted hard shutdown and tried again, it came up Automatic, but I still can not start it without getting the error message.

This may be a bit late to ask, but just what does this service really do?  You seemed really worried that it would not start up properly.

What are the consequences if we can not get this to play nice?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Vernon

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

It is a security protocol used to encrypt packets.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPsec

I'm not 100% sure what the consequences are that it won't run.  Not sure if you will be able to connect to hpps sites or not.  

Going to have to dig out my XP and see if I can figure out where else it is looking.  Will get back to you later tonight.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

From my XP:

The following services are dependent on the IPSEC driver service.
Stopping the IPSEC driver service will also stop these services.

IPSEC Services
   Network Location Awareness (NLA)
   TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
   DHCP Client
   NetBios over Tcpip
   IP Network Address Translator
   DNS Client
   Bonjour Service
   aswTdi
   aswRdr
   Apple Mobile Device
   TCP/IP Protocol Driver

So that's some of the things that won't work correctly.

I see I was getting confused between ipsec driver and ipsec services so I have a new zip for you.  Download it and save it then right click and Extract all.  The lsass.exe file goes in c:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe.  Overwrite the old one if you can.  The PolicyAgen.reg file you right click on and Merge then reboot and see if things work better.

vhende2000

vhende2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Ron,

I could not copy and paste the Isass.exe file because the original file was "in use" and I could not delete the original file from system32 either, getting the same error message.  I did check the version # of the original file and the downloaded one and they are the same version.

I did merge the .reg file into the registry, no problem.

Interestingly, the list of services you posted above are, in fact, started.  Just not on a couple of them that I do not have.

What now?

Where do we stand with virus and malware problems?

Vernon

Edited by vhende2000, 03 May 2014 - 11:51 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

What does:

net  start  policyagent

say if you type it into a command prompt and hit Enter?

Right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Driver then View, Show Hidden Devices (or Drivers).  Look in the right pane and click on the + in front of non-plug and play ... and then find ipsec.  Right click on it and select Properties.  Does it say it is working?

We can use OTL to replace the lsass.exe file

Copy the lsass.exe file to c:\

Then:

Copy the text in the code box by highlighting and Ctrl + c 

:files
C:\WINDOWS\System32\lsass.exe|c:\lsass.exe /replace

:reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command]
""=""%1" %*"

:Commands
[Reboot]

then Rightclick on OTL and select Run As Administrator to start. Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste (ctrl +v) the text.  Verify that you got it all and Then click the RUN FIX button (NOT THE QUICK SCAN button!) at the top
Let the program run unhindered, OTL will reboot the PC when it is done.

vhende2000

vhende2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Ron,

Net start policyagent

The IPSEC Services service was started successfully.

... and then find ipsec.  Right click on it and select Properties.  Does it say it is working?

The device is working properly, and the IPSEC driver is started.

OTL

The OTL program ran but did not reboot.

I rebooted the PC but got no OTL.log file.

Vernon

Edited by vhende2000, 04 May 2014 - 01:54 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like both are working now.  Let's clear the alarms and reboot and see if we have any errors left:

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc, OK to bring up the Event Viewer.  Right click on System and Clear All Events, No (we don't want to save the old log), OK. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:

2. Double-click VEW.exe
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.