Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fastest FTP Client?

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello Ladies and Gents. I have been pretty happy using Filezilla for the past 4 years, it's really been everything that I have needed. But something has come to my attention, I really don't know much about FTP clients. I know for the purposes that I require, I can also use the program known as CuteFTP. However, what is the difference that makes some versions of CuteFTP free and some paid?

What would be the difference between CuteFTP and Filezilla?

What do you use?

Thanks!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I've used both CuteFTP and Filezilla extensively. I started using CuteFTP. As far as I know there are no free versions, only a trial and the paid version. There were some educational discounts available.

The reason I switched to Filezilla was simply because it was free. Even though I had a license for CuteFTP it was a pain to reinstall. I also use multiple PCs, and didn't want to buy a license for each. There's really little difference in my opinion. If you've used one, you can use the other. Performance seems identical. CuteFTP has a nicer looking interface in my opinion, but it's not $59 nicer. ;)

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Can I just add in FlashFXP. It isn't free but is cheap ($29) and I use it as my main FTP program. It can also be installed on 4 computers.

I also use filezilla on other computers and find it is excellent. But the feature that sets flash apart if FXP site to site transfers. If you don't use this feature then I would stick to filezilla but it is handy if you ever need to send files between servers as it bypasses your connection.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Thank you guys for your insight. I appreciate it

humble2k14

humble2k14

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Hello BearCavalry,

I would like to chime in if you don't mind -- when it comes down to CuteFTP or FileZilla, is there really a $59 difference? (short answer is no) If anyone would had to pick out the details, what would they be for someone to put a $59 price tag on CuteFTP versus a free FTP that does just as good of a job. Most would agree that $59 is absurb for something that can be done with an FTP such as FileZilla since it gets the job done painlessly enough. So ask yourself are you really willing to spend $59 on minor details that do not show any real significant difference to justify the steep price tag on CuteFTP? I ask you these questions so that you end up making a rational decision, this line of questioning will assist you in making a logical decision.

Edited by humble2k14, 09 April 2014 - 02:19 PM.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello BearCavalry,

I would like to chime in if you don't mind -- when it comes down to CuteFTP or FileZilla, is there really a $59 difference? (short answer is no) If anyone would had to pick out the details, what would they be for someone to put a $59 price tag on CuteFTP versus a free FTP that does just as good of a job. Most would agree that $59 is absurb for something that can be done with an FTP such as FileZilla since it gets the job done painlessly enough. So ask yourself are you really willing to spend $59 on minor details that do not show any real significant difference to justify the steep price tag on CuteFTP? I ask you these questions so that you end up making a rational decision, this line of questioning will assist you in making a logical decision.

I appreciate your words very much. I have weighed out the benefits, and I do not see them being worth the $59. I believe I will stick with the free Filezilla. Thank you for the carefully crafted opinions/suggestions.

humble2k14

humble2k14

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

You're welcome BearCavalry:thumbsup:

Edited by humble2k14, 09 April 2014 - 11:26 PM.