Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Have just finished new build, What's first item on to do list?

• Please log in to reply

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Have just finished new build: AMD A6-5400K APU; MSI A88X-G43 mobo; 4G Ram; 1T HDD; LG Super Multi Drive Optical drive; 430W ATX PSU; Win 8.1 64bit Full Version OS!  I have MSI mobo disc with drivers  and both 32 & 64 bit Win 8.1 discs, USB2 file transfer cable to transfer files from retiring XP PC, plan to leave bios in default mode to begin with {mobo manual is very clear about procedures for change}.

All items are new,

Have not fired it up yet.  What should be first item on agenda?  I have never set one up from scratch.  And I have seen so many references to partitions for booting system and partitions for storage only, so I am a little confused.  Any suggestions or sage advice?

Oldrailroadgeek

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday oldrailroadgeek, welcome back.

First step is to do a final check of the most important cabling, you should have,

2 main power cables to the MB.

Power and SATA cables to the HDD and OD.

CPU heatsink fan plug connected to the CPU fan header on the MB. 

Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor. Internet .

​Question,   What instructions do you have for using the DATA transfer cable? a link would be useful.    

Please read throught this Tutorial, NB.   When you select "custom instal." at step #9,you may not see steps #10 to #14, most likely you will get step #15, just carry on with the install. > http://pcsupport.abo...tall-part-1.htm

First Boot will be to the BIOS to set time and date, check the SATA Controller is set to AHCI, Set first boot order to Optical Drive.  

Please get back to us first before switching on for the first time as clarification of the transfer cable is needed.  

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Iammykyl,

This is not the PC I had planned to build, but budget took a hit and I had to lower expectations.  The instruction manual with the MSI mobo is very thorough and leads you through each step of the installation of all components and cable connections on the mobo. including the ram chips, HDD [SATA & power]; optical drive [Sata & power];APU installation and cooling fan 4 pin; 2 power connections to main board plus three case fans [2 4pin & 1 3pin]; the case front panel power button, power led, HDD led, usb2, & usb3 cables.  The APU has integrated graphics so there is no graphics card installed nor has a SSD been installed. 

The transfer cable is MicraDigital and came with a disc for installation on old PC and then install on new PC prior to connection of cable to both computers. Cable is designed for use from XP to Win8.

All connections on mobo have been checked at least three times in manual sequence so I feel confident in the connections, a grounded wrist band to earth ground was worn anytime case was opened, I tried to maintain good cable management to facilitate good case cooling.  Intake and one exhaust fans are variable speed, 1 exhaust fan is 1500rpm only, intake fan is filtered, other air intakes are screen filtered. Case is Cougar Solution AF2  Monitor is 22" LCD from old PC. NO power applied yet

Oldrailroadgeek

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the great detailed information.

I asked about the transfer details because sometimes, an old HDD is installed/left in the new computer and if connected at the same time as installing the OS to a new HDD, can cause problems, i.e. stupid windows can place part of the installation on the old drive or see there is a MBR (on the old drive) and not place one on the new drive, in fact, gets as muddled as my explanation reads, :whistling:

Please read, > http://winsupersite....em-image-backup > and > http://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html

So first step is to turn on the monitor, > power up the computer and enter the BIOS by tapping the apropriate key, usually Del.

> set the time/dat and if feilds are present, Langauge and Location.

> Find the SATA controller and check it is set to ACHI.

> Find the Boot Priority, set the Optical drive as First Boot.

> Open the OD, > instert the W8.1 disc, > leave the tray open.

> Press the F10 key to save settings and exit, > at the prompt, select Y, > Press enter. > computer will restart, > install windows.

When complete.

> Remove the W8.1 disc, > insert the MB Driver disc, > restart the computer, > choose Express install for drivers.   When complete.

> Install utilities and software, > Choose Custom Install, (your choices) I do not install free or Trail Software.  When complete, > remove the MB disc.

> Wait for Windows to complete any updates.

> Create a drive image.

> Create Recovery Media.

> Install Anti Virus software, I use Avast.

I would play with the computer for a few days before installing any other software or transferring your Data. 

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Iammykyl,

One quick question, during installation of Win 8.1, should I have my DSL internet line plugged into the new PC?  I am set up with both computers on the same work station and was hoping to have the internet available on the retiring computer as I set up the new PC {hopefully unnecessary}.  I only have one internet line available. Any suggestions? :headscratch:

Sid- Oldrailroadgeek

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello Oldrailroadgeek

As iammykyl is offline I will chime in if that is ok  :)

The installation of 8.1 will require checking for updates and registering the OS with MS online as part of the process, you can do this later but I find it far easier to do as you go so as to avoid any possible hiccups + Windows 8 and 8.1 install in no time compared to the likes of the early days of XP.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for stepping in Phillpower2. :thumbsup:

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Iammykyl & Phillpower 2,

Evidently I have done something right and yourall's advice and suggestions must have been right on.  I am currently writing on the new PC.  Start-up and Win 8.1 installation went smooth as silk.  Thanks for all the help and support these past few months.

Sid Oldrailroadgeek

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

You are most welcome iammykyl  :)

Glad to hear that it all went well and a job well done on your behalf Sid  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome oldrailroadgeek, also glad it went well :rockon:

When you have a handle on the OS, install new programs, (create manual restore points each time) do not transfer application from the old HDD, only DATA.

When you are satisfied with the system, create another drive image.

If you have any further questions, please post.

Good luck.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Iammykyl or Phillpower2,

I have disc for Malewarebytes AntiMalware Pro (paid for version) and ZoneAlarm Extreme Security (paid version) are these better than Win Defender and Avast?  I know Defender will turn off when I load Malewarebytes.  I read in one of the forums where 8.1 doesnot support playing music dvd's so I need a software, the optical is an LG24NSBO OEM so no support disc.  I am back on my old PC as I want to limit exposure on the web until I solve the malware & virus questions.

Thanks a heap!    {For Augies & Flatlanders this is Mountain Folk slang for Thanks a lot!!}

Sid   Oldrailroadgeek

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Sid.

If you have had no problems in the past running them and not been infected,  Trying different products together takes a bit of experimentation. I would carry on using you paid for software.  \

Windows 8/8.` does support playing of music, 

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, and then clickSearch.)

2. Enter music, and then tap or click Music.  > http://windows.micro...windows-8/music

• Your welcome.  :thumbsup: