Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Dilemma?

• Please log in to reply

Blue Robin

Blue Robin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I’m working as a temp at a large, busy legal office that employs 50-100 people.  I was given a private cubicle and computer for data entry.  My computer is loaded with the bare minimum of files and programs.  I tried to access the calculator once, pulling up the start menu>all programs, but all programs was completely empty.  I think I am given restricted access to files.  While goofing around, I checked out recent documents.  Under recent documents, I was able to see shortcuts to folders belonging to my boss, not otherwise on my desktop.  I snooped when I shouldn’t have.  I came across a naked picture of my boss’s wife.  She looked like she had had the sh*t beaten out of her.  In a moment of reckless courage or idiocy, I saved the picture on my own desktop, renamed it, and loaded it on my thumbdrive with some crazy valiant intention of taking it to the police to report domestic abuse or something crazy like that.  Too late, I figured that perhaps my boss has a way to monitor my desktop or has real time access to see what I am doing on my computer screen.  I immediately unplug the internet cable, delete all of the files I created, the shortcuts I viewed under recent documents, and empty my recycling bin.  The question is… how likely is it that my boss knows I snooped and accessed/saved his files?  Is it because we have a shared desktop or network?  I'm not very computer savvy.  Please help!

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Hello Blue Robin,

:welcome:  We wouldn't have any way of knowing if your boss has a way of checking your activities on the computer. It's possible that there could be software installed that tracks such things but we wouldn't have any way of knowing that. Nor would we get involved in that kind of thing. Sorry, but that's between you and your employer.