Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with a new router for my Nvidia Shield 5ghz

router switch ethernet streaming wireless

• Please log in to reply

Themkman

Themkman

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

hello, 

im slightly noobish when it comes to networking so please be patient :)

ok so i currently live in a 3 story house and i had a problem with getting internet to the top floor, so my current set up is:

a 2.4ghz g modem router (isp's own netgear about 6 years old) downstairs feeding a pc and then connected to a power line sender which then connects to another 2.4ghz modem router (isp own hawaii router) on the top floor acting as a switch with 2 pc's using Ethernet and wireless access point.

I have purchased an Nvidia shield and it requires 5ghz, so im looking to get a new router, I have seen a good deal at my local argos

http://www.argos.co....ber/1437256.htm

this will be installed up stairs as a switch to replace the current 2.4ghz router

the question is,

will this make any difference to my Ethernet speeds and bandwidth and will the wireless work as effective as it would if it was just plugged straight into the phone line as its being routed through the 2.4ghz router downstairs in not sure if this will bottleneck its possible top performance???

I would like to start streaming games which is why i would like to know about the Ethernet speeds, will this make a difference or do both routers need replacing to get the most out of my ethernet and wireless speeds???

any help will be much appreciated 

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Where do you want to use the Nvidia shield downstairs or upstairs?

If upstairs why do you want a router with adsl?

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello Yes I would like to use the router upstairs. I have chosen an ADSL router so that if I move out of this house as I'm only renting the top floor I will be able to use it in another property.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hello Yes I would like to use the router upstairs. I have chosen an ADSL router so that if I move out of this house as I'm only renting the top floor I will be able to use it in another property.

Ok. How do you have it setup now, the router upstairs have the DHCP disabled?

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

yeah downstairs is issuing the IP address for all devices on the network

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

yeah downstairs is issuing the IP address for all devices on the network

I ask that because not all the routers will work without DHCP disabled especially for wireless.

Now I got the picture and can try to answer your questions...

will this make any difference to my Ethernet speeds and bandwidth and will the wireless work as effective as it would if it was just plugged straight into the phone line as its being routed through the 2.4ghz router downstairs in not sure if this will bottleneck its possible top performance???

I would like to start streaming games which is why i would like to know about the Ethernet speeds, will this make a difference or do both routers need replacing to get the most out of my ethernet and wireless speeds???

The TP-link router have Gigabit Ethernet port's, if your cables are Cat 5e not very long and the network cards on your devices are also gigabit you will notice a speed boost because most likely the old ISP router is only 100Mbts.

What is the internet speed you have contracted?

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I recieve 18927 kbps into the router and pay for 20mb. I am using cat 5 cables one is 1.5m the other is 15m. The routers I am using are downstairs is a ecolife hg520b and the one upstairs is a netgear dg834g.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I recieve 18927 kbps into the router and pay for 20mb. I am using cat 5 cables one is 1.5m the other is 15m. The routers I am using are downstairs is a ecolife hg520b and the one upstairs is a netgear dg834g.

Both routers have Ethernet ports only at 100Mbps. Replacing the router upstairs and the cables with cat 5e is needed to have gigabit transfers in your cabled network.

Themkman

Themkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Both routers have Ethernet ports only at 100Mbps. Replacing the router upstairs and the cables with cat 5e is needed to have gigabit transfers in your cabled network.

ok so if i replace just the router upstairs and upgrade the cables, i will see a increase in performance, even though its still routing through the ecolife downstairs???

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

ok so if i replace just the router upstairs and upgrade the cables, i will see a increase in performance, even though its still routing through the ecolife downstairs???

Yes for your internal network if you connect the more demanding devices upstairs.

For internet access there will be no changes because the speed is limited by the ISP/line and the power line adapters you use to extend the network to upstairs will limit the speed also.

It will depend on the type of data transfer that you will do, streaming video applications use buffers and other techniques to avoid video flickering and probably work with your current hardware depending also on the video quality you choose/want. For sure you will notice differences transferring files between the machines over the wired network.