Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Linux distro will work for me?

distro memory install

• Please log in to reply

*J*

*J*

• Pip
  • 6 posts

I am almost completely clueless when it comes to computers and totally dumbfounded by linux OS requirements. Giving up Windows XP (support ended), I'm trying to install a linux based OS. Two days have gotten me no further to understanding and finding the OS that works for me! I'll outline my pathetic computer specs (it's a dinosaur) and what I would like to be able to do. Then I would be extremely grateful for suggestions! Remember, I'm a newbie and don't understand all the lingo so please dumb it down for me. I'd prefer any installation involving DVD-R. I bought ten so I could use one to load UBUNTU (not enough space).

My computer:

COMPAQ-Presario-SR1500NX

3000+ AMD Sempron Processor

256MB-PC2700 memory

80GB-7200RPM hard drive

What I would like to do:

Surf the web (Firefox)

Use GIMP

Use INKSCAPE

Use AUDACITY

(basically, use open source freeware stuff)

Download music/movies

(basically, everything I could do on WINDOWS XP)

Advertisements

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Try Ubuntu. it's the easiest Linux distro for beginner.

Just read the instructions carefully. And be prepared to study lots of new stuff.

just download the image from their site,

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

burn it to the dvd-r, boot from it and answer the questions.

Have fun!

*J*

*J*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Try Ubuntu. it's the easiest Linux distro for beginner.

Just read the instructions carefully. And be prepared to study lots of new stuff.

just download the image from their site,

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

burn it to the dvd-r, boot from it and answer the questions.

Have fun!

Looks like you didn't read that I started with Ubuntu and it won't work on my older computer...need a smaller OS suggestion.

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

It runs also from live-dvd, so you can first try it without installing. If you won't get scared of that, go on installing.

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

how much real space for linux do you have? if evrth is so bad, try DamnSmallLinux.

Is it really impossible to free some space at 80 GB drive? 

*J*

*J*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

how much real space for linux do you have? if evrth is so bad, try DamnSmallLinux.

Is it really impossible to free some space at 80 GB drive? 

See, I'm not sure...is that the space it refers to? I thought it was the 256MB part...I replaced XP with Ubuntu, thinking that would work.

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

There are also very small ubuntu distributions https://help.ubuntu....ation/MinimalCD

*J*

*J*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

After installing Ubuntu, I kept getting the "low graphics mode" window and read that was because my system wasn't up to snuff.

*J*

*J*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Soooo...I still need some ideas of which distro may work for me...please.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Yes, ubuntu is too resource needy for that pc. Try Lubuntu. Any other distribution with lower system requirements you will not find very user friendly.

Advertisements

*J*

*J*

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Yes, ubuntu is too resource needy for that pc. Try Lubuntu. Any other distribution with lower system requirements you will not find very user friendly.

Thanks, man! That's all I needed...to whittle down the list so I'm not still trying distros out next year! So, that is my new request..."User Friendly", low resource distro suggestions!

sakamx

sakamx

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Any other distribution with lower system requirements you will not find very user friendly. 

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

You can always try Arch Linux.

https://wiki.archlin...tallation_guide

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

You can always try Arch Linux.

For a rookie? Really? Arch, as I understand it, is great if you've had previous Linux experience. Considering its basically a bleeding-edge, rolling release, I wouldn't exactly call it a great starting point, even if you can customize it in such a way as to be low-resource.

Maybe consider installing Debina - 5G hardrive and 128 MB (512 recommended) for minimum requirements, should be able to satisfy most, if not all of your requirements. (In general: Look for distributions that come with LXDE/XFCE for a desktop environment, avoid Gnome and KDE if possible.)

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

He never said he didn't want to try something of that sort.

I agree. It's not for a rookie. But rookie's can always learn the hard way. That's the way I did. Some like them, some don't.