Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

ralgonzo

ralgonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

It looks like this is a known bug with Windows and Kaspersky. When you open Kaspersky, does it say that protection is enabled?

Trevorever,

So, this known bug.... You think this could possibly affecting my wireless adapter connection problems along with Windows? It's interesting to say the least. :headscratch:  

When I opened Kaspersky, it says upon opening the program that: there's no treats, Protection Components Enabled, Databases Up to Date. I'm lead to believe that I am being protected based on what Kaspersky says and what I have posted here.

I don't know if this has anything to do with this post, but also when I opened Kaspersky, apparently I have a License Notification notice letting me know that my subscription is going to expire soon. I'm not one hundred percent sure if I'll be able to pay to renew my subscription, but I am keeping it in mind and seeing what I will be able to do as far as the subscription is concerned.

It be interesting to see what happens next, and what your thoughts are, so that we can continue to move forward.

Ralgonzo

Advertisements

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Most likely you are using two firewalls because of the bug and that could cause problems. Can you check and make sure the firewall in Kaspersky is enabled, then disable Windows Firewall and reboot your computer? http://windows.micro...n-off=windows-7

Edited by Trevorever, 27 April 2014 - 04:34 AM.

ralgonzo

ralgonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Most likely you are using two firewalls because of the bug and that could cause problems. Can you check and make sure the firewall in Kaspersky is enabled, then disable Windows Firewall and reboot your computer? http://windows.micro...n-off=windows-7

Trevorever,

I have turned off the Windows Firewall from Windows. As for The Kaspersky Firewall...It's strange and I'm confused that I don't see the Firewall for Kaspersky. :headscratch:  I went to Settings/Protection Center in Kaspersky and Firewall is supposed to be listed there with the other options there, but It is not.

I went ahead and restarted my computer with Windows Firewall off. Currently, my Windows Firewall is still off. Would you still like for me to have the Firewall off for Windows and since for some strange reason or another the Firewall for Kaspersky is not there?? Perhaps this is the work of that virus you had mentioned to me earlier. :headscratch:

Well, either way the further we go the more challenges we come across here. It's amazing to me that what started out was hopefully only going to be a wireless adapter issue, and now turned into a virus that I'm guessing I have. Your help to me have been very good. I welcome each and every single effort you give to help out. I'm still willing to fight this thru the end. I look forward in hearing from you again soon.

Ralgonzo

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
I no longer think there is any virus problems, as the problems that speccy showed have been explained. Let me check and see if the firewall in KIS is actually called something else.

You should turn Windows Firewall back on until we can confirm the KIS firewall is running.

Edited by Trevorever, 27 April 2014 - 07:03 AM.

ralgonzo

ralgonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

You should turn Windows Firewall back on until we can confirm the KIS firewall is running.

Trevorever,

That's good to know that there is no virus problems. My Windows Firewall is now back on. :D  Talk to you soon.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

In KIS can you go to Settings  (bottom right) then Protection Center (left side) and see if the Firewall is enabled like in this picture?

kis2014_9733_02_en13-208040.jpg

If it is enabled, try disabling it and rebooting your computer, see if there is wireless, and if not, try your usb wireless adapter

I am also working on some scripts and instructions to continue our work with the drivers.

Edited by Trevorever, 27 April 2014 - 04:48 PM.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

If trying the above does not cause anything to work then try this.

1. Do not have the wireless usb adapter plugged in and make sure you are disconnected from the internet

2. Restart into Safe mode by taping F8 when the computer is starting up.

3. Disable both the Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Firewall

4. Uninstall REALTEK Wireless LAN Driver and Utility and Atheros Client Installation Program

5. Go to Device Manager and uninstall both the Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter and the Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI drivers.

6. Open up RAPR  and remove all Wireless drivers (use the force delete checkbox).

7. Create a folder on your Desktop call Driver and paste the contents (3 files) of Wireless LAN_Pro-Nets_6.1061.0926.2008_W7x86W7x64_A\WLAN_PRO-NETS_6.1061.0926.2008_Win7x86x64 (the one driver you downloaded from Gateway)

8. Go to your Start Menu and type cmd and right click and select Run as Administrator.

9. Paste this into the console and press enter pnputil -i -a "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Driver\net8190p.inf"

10. Restart  again into Safe mode by taping F8 when the computer is starting up.

11. Install the liteon driver package (the other driver you downloaded from Gateway)

12. Reboot normally, make sure ethernet cable is still disconnected.

13. Wait 15 Minutes then check device manager for Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI  and see which driver it is using.

14. If it is working, make sure you enable your KIS firewall before going on the internet.  

ralgonzo

ralgonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

In KIS can you go to Settings  (bottom right) then Protection Center (left side) and see if the Firewall is enabled like in this picture?

kis2014_9733_02_en13-208040.jpg

If it is enabled, try disabling it and rebooting your computer, see if there is wireless, and if not, try your usb wireless adapter

I am also working on some scripts and instructions to continue our work with the drivers.

Trevorever,

Here's the thing about Kaspersky and it's Firewall. I went to Kaspersky's Settings and then Protection Center like it's shown on the picture above. Well Firewall was not listed like in the picture above and what I ended up doing to give a try was uninstalling and then reinstalling Kaspersky to see if that would bring back the Firewall to the settings section. After the reinstallation there was still no firewall showing up. I think for some reason I'm not shown the Firewall in Settings and Protection Center is cause of the upcoming expiration usage of KIS. So lastly what I ended up doing was uninstalling then reinstalling Kaspersky again and this time kept it as a trial version. As a trial version with 30 days to use the Firewall came back as it's suppose to. :D

So with the Firewall being back in KIS I followed your instructions in disabling the firewall and then rebooting my computer. After the reboot, I tired my wireless adapter and it's USB and nothing happened. Things remained the same unfortunately. 

So with all this being said. In regards to your latest instructions you have posted to me above this post, about entering safe mode, I will let you know how that goes a little later today. Hopefully I will have some success with your latest instructions. But either way though, if I have any questions to you I'll be sure to ask you. Ask me anything you like as well, and any more suggestions or advice on what I should do moving forward. I'll be back soon with some results.....(fingers crossed) :)

Ralgonzo

Edited by ralgonzo, 28 April 2014 - 07:12 AM.

ralgonzo

ralgonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

If trying the above does not cause anything to work then try this.

1. Do not have the wireless usb adapter plugged in and make sure you are disconnected from the internet

2. Restart into Safe mode by taping F8 when the computer is starting up.

3. Disable both the Windows Firewall and Kaspersky Firewall

4. Uninstall REALTEK Wireless LAN Driver and Utility and Atheros Client Installation Program

5. Go to Device Manager and uninstall both the Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter and the Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI drivers.

6. Open up RAPR  and remove all Wireless drivers (use the force delete checkbox).

7. Create a folder on your Desktop call Driver and paste the contents (3 files) of Wireless LAN_Pro-Nets_6.1061.0926.2008_W7x86W7x64_A\WLAN_PRO-NETS_6.1061.0926.2008_Win7x86x64 (the one driver you downloaded from Gateway)

8. Go to your Start Menu and type cmd and right click and select Run as Administrator.

9. Paste this into the console and press enter pnputil -i -a "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\Driver\net8190p.inf"

10. Restart  again into Safe mode by taping F8 when the computer is starting up.

11. Install the liteon driver package (the other driver you downloaded from Gateway)

12. Reboot normally, make sure ethernet cable is still disconnected.

13. Wait 15 Minutes then check device manager for Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI  and see which driver it is using.

14. If it is working, make sure you enable your KIS firewall before going on the internet.  

Trevorever,

I have followed your above latest instructions and I have just finished what was required, but with no success again unfortunately. I don't know what's going on and I don't know what to think either.

Here are some results that I have gone thru with the steps you have provided to me.....First when I went to Device Manager to Uninstall from step 5 in your instructions... Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter was already gone and only Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI remained, to which I uninstalled per your instructions. Next, what puzzles me is when I installed the Liteon Driver Package a little later, the computer told me to finish the installation with the Wizard program...BUT How do I do that?? It seems like the installation is not finished until l use the Wizard feature thing.(actual name of the Wizard setup escapes my memory at the moment) And finally in step 13 of your instructions, I checked for Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI in Device Manager and at first it was not there in Device Manager. It was after I have installed the software of the Wireless Adapter when the Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI came back. The Driver that Realtek RTL8190 802.11n Wireless LAN (Mini-)PCI is using are once again both either rtl819xp.sys and vwifibus.sys  Should have I not reinstalled the Wireless Adapter with the disc software? :headscratch:

I strongly believe that I have correctly followed each and very steps in your instructions you have provided me. However I don't understand how nothing has worked. I mean maybe I did something wrong?? It don't feel like I did and I don't think I missed something. Maybe this has something to do with having to use the Wizard setup to finish the process of the Liteon installation. :headscratch: Maybe I should go thru these 14 steps again. What do you think??

Your help to me has been wonderful and I look forward to any other advice, suggestions, and help you may have to offer me. It's been very crazy with this Wireless Adapter situation to say the least.

Ralgonzo

Edited by ralgonzo, 28 April 2014 - 06:06 PM.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

No it's Ok that you installed the USB wireless adapter. Have you always been using the disc when installing it? Does the USB adapter show up in Device Manager now?

The Liteon installation was just to cover all possibilities. I don't think that is the right driver, anyways. The installation probably could not finish because the wireless device it is looking for is not there.

Advertisements

ralgonzo

ralgonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

No it's Ok that you installed the USB wireless adapter. Have you always been using the disc when installing it? Does the USB adapter show up in Device Manager now?

The Liteon installation was just to cover all possibilities. I don't think that is the right driver, anyways. The installation probably could not finish because the wireless device it is looking for is not there.

Trevorever,

Well, I would plug in first the USB adapter but the installation would not go thru. So yes, I've mostly been using the disc to install the software for the wireless adapter. Yes the USB adapter does show on the Device Manager. But I have no wireless connection going. Only got internet access via Ethernet Cable. Do you think we would need to continue using the Liteon installation moving forward? That's interesting of not having the right Driver. Is there a way we could get the right Driver? Or is this driver for the liteon installation?

I look forward hearing from you soon. :D

Ralgonzo

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

The Pronet one should have been the right one. Let's go back to trying to get the USB adapter to work. Do you get an error message when the installation does not go through without the disc?

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Is this your usb wireless adapter?

ralgonzo

ralgonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Is this your usb wireless adapter?

Trevorever,

Yes, that's exactly my usb wire shown on the link you have provided. The error message I get with out using the disc, is something like installation failed or,  installation could not complete. I would have to uninstall and reinstall the wireless adapter to give you what it exactly says. Would you like for me to provide you what exactly the error message is? I look forward in hearing from you.

ralgonzo

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Can you uninstall the software, and uninstall any drivers from Device manager. Then remove the wireless drivers from the driver store using RAPR. Download the driver here. Disable the Kaspersky firewall (windows firewall should also be disabled). Remove the ethernet cable. Then reboot into safe mode, install the driver, reboot into safe mode again, then plug in the usb adapter.