Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to retrieve old family photos off XP

• Please log in to reply

nettiemae

nettiemae

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

We found our old XP we had in storage for about 4 years. I want to save the photos I have, to a cd or send them to cloud or even email to myself.

Problem is, the cd writer does not appear to work. I keep getting the message to put cd in the E drive. After several attempts, the drawer stuck shut & I had to use a paperclip in the little hole to pop it open. So I thought ok...send all photos  to cloud...but I'm not familiar with that option. Wanted to email photos but when I turn on IE, it wants to update to latest version. I tried but got a message that XP could not update to latest IE. I tried to go to my yahoo page but it's only a list of headers...no graphics.

How can I get the photos off XP? 

:smashcomp: 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nettie

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Copy then to one or more USB flash drives. They are cheap.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Hi,

We found our old XP we had in storage for about 4 years. I want to save the photos I have, to a cd or send them to cloud or even email to myself.

Problem is, the cd writer does not appear to work. I keep getting the message to put cd in the E drive. After several attempts, the drawer stuck shut & I had to use a paperclip in the little hole to pop it open. So I thought ok...send all photos  to cloud...but I'm not familiar with that option. Wanted to email photos but when I turn on IE, it wants to update to latest version. I tried but got a message that XP could not update to latest IE. I tried to go to my yahoo page but it's only a list of headers...no graphics.

Nettie

I'm no great expert here but I can tell you that Microsoft stopped support for Windows XP three days ago, which is probably why it can't update. I would turn the Automatic Update  off so it wouldn't keep trying.

I agree with using a memory stick, assuming your system has an available USB port. Recently I saw a SanDisk 64GB drive for a fairly reasonable price.

If this system has a battery, it may need to be charged and discharged a few times to allow it to reach full potential after such prolonged storage. Low power could be one reason the disc reader isn't working correctly.

nettiemae

nettiemae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Copy then to one or more USB flash drives. They are cheap.

Hi, and thank you for the suggestion...I do have a usb flash drive to try. I just need to empty it first. And need to check how many usb ports are on the XP. I know one is in use with the keyboard.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

nettiemae

nettiemae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

Nettie

I'm no great expert here but I can tell you that Microsoft stopped support for Windows XP three days ago, which is probably why it can't update. I would turn the Automatic Update  off so it wouldn't keep trying.

I agree with using a memory stick, assuming your system has an available USB port. Recently I saw a SanDisk 64GB drive for a fairly reasonable price.

If this system has a battery, it may need to be charged and discharged a few times to allow it to reach full potential after such prolonged storage. Low power could be one reason the disc reader isn't working correctly.

Hi, And thank you too for your suggestions! I never gave the battery any thought..will check that. Also will turn auto update off if I remember where to find it on XP.

Will give those things a try & let you know.Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Hello nettiemae

Your computer has no AV protection and so it should not be allowed to connect to the internet in any way whatsoever, disconnect the ethernet or wireless connection that you have and then copy your data across, if you remain connected to the internet you risk being infected by malware which you would then copy across to the device that you used to access the data off your flash drive/s, if the computer that you use happens to be connected to a network you could also spread the infection across the network, grim I know but that is the risk.

nettiemae

nettiemae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello...Just wanted to let you know the flash drive option worked very well. I've retrieved everything I wanted and removes some programs as best I could, since I can't use the cd drive to restore it back to new, before getting rid of the pc. 

Thanks again for your help!

Nettie   :yeah:

nettiemae

nettiemae

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi,

Nettie

Hi, And thank you too for your suggestions! I never gave the battery any thought..will check that. Also will turn auto update off if I remember where to find it on XP.

Will give those things a try & let you know.Thanks again!

Thank you for your suggestions & help! I was able to do what I wanted with a flash drive.  

You guys are awesome!  :yeah:

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

You're welcome.

Have you tried the disc writer/reader a second time? What else is wrong with the unit? If nothing major, have you considered just using it as a second (backup) storage place for pictures, documents or other offline tasks? 

Edited by TooNew2, 19 April 2014 - 11:11 PM.