Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive operating outside of normal perameters...

• Please log in to reply

ComputerGirl76

ComputerGirl76

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi, me again. I was just doing an image search on Google when I got a message pop up on my computer about a Dell Diagnostics. Said that my hard drive failed the SMART test and when I investigated further I'm told that I have to replace it. Is this true?

Dell Inspiron laptop 

Windows 7

Advertisements

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Did it give you any more details about what failed in the SMART test? Usually by the time a manufactor utility warns you about a SMART error, there is more than one reallocated sector on your hard drive.

Download, install and run GSMARTControl. It should show a little icon of a hard drive in the window that opens. Doubleclick on the icon, then click on the attributes tab at the top. It will show a table. Let me know the numbers in the Raw Value column for the following rows: Reallocated Sector Count, Power On Time, Spin-Up Retry Count, Current Pending Sector Count, and anything it highlights in red. The Dell utility is probably reading the number from the reallocated sector count, or possibly the current pending sector count.

Edited by Trevorever, 12 April 2014 - 06:19 PM.