Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

install mint 16 cinnamon

cd/dvd drivers no write usb drive no os no boot device

• Please log in to reply

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Ok, I have successfully booted to the Linux Mint installer.

Download Universal USB installer and run. In the dropdown menu choose Linux Mint. Then choose where the Linux mint download is (probably in your Downloads folder). Choose you USB stick, check the Format box, and click the create button. Then try to boot to it.

Advertisements

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

after downloading mint i do unzip it to a folder don't i?

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Nope, leave it the way it is.

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

okay, it will have all the drivers necessary for install?  before the boot device error i was having a drive error.

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

i just can't believe this got happy for nothing...  now it says: unknown keyword in configuration file: U-U-  no default UI configuration found!  Trevorever please tell me it is something very simple

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
That error was with when you were trying to install Windows 7? If you were using RMprepusb I suspect that may have been the problem.

It will have all the drivers needed to install. Sometimes Linux Mint doesn't have the correct network adaptet drivers, but that is rare.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

i just can't believe this got happy for nothing...  now it says: unknown keyword in configuration file: U-U-  no default UI configuration found!  Trevorever please tell me it is something very simple

When does this come up?

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

right after the bios page select f1 to boot or f2 to set up..  i don't know why but my pc has forever gone to bios to boot instead of straight to os

Edited by carolmarie4555, 13 April 2014 - 03:42 PM.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
When you reboot the computer, tap the 12 key and see if gives you a menu to choose to boot to usb.

If that does not work, disconnect the hard drive and then try to boot to the usb.

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

the bios is set to boot from the usb 1st then hdd 2nd.  and wahat is an UI configuration?

Advertisements

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
I just want to make sure that it is the USB stick it is trying to boot to.

If you get the same error with the hard drive disconnected, it might be time to try a different usb stick.

Edited by Trevorever, 13 April 2014 - 04:07 PM.

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

okay did that and still got this-- unknown keyword in configuration file: U-U-  no default UI configuration found!  i do have 2 other pendrives just always thought this was the better one...  i will follow your previous steps and see what happens next

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Maybe you want to try the solution posted here.

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

thank you Sleepy dude i tried using that with the first linux os i tried installing had problems with that attempt as well

carolmarie4555

carolmarie4555

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

OMG!!!! Trevorever you are wonderful...  of course i feel pretty dumb going thru this mess for almost 6 dats and it was my pendrive the whole time.  thank you so much.