Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Random crashing to desktop in games, BSODs after reinstall

• Please log in to reply

mxdz

mxdz

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hello all, it's been quite some time since I had to come here and post. Years have passed by and I work in the domain now. Trying to wrap my head around this one for some time now and I'm fed up.

I have windows 8.1. I had issues with random crashing to desktop with no error messages and 3d applications crashing, hardcore games to very simple ones would do it.

My machine goes as follow;

3770k @ 4.8ghz

raid 0 240gb kingston hyper x 3k SSDs (two)

Gtx 770

Gtx 650 ti

GA Z77-UP4-TH 

4x4g.b g.skill trident X @ 2400hz.

A pretty decent machine, not supposed to bug. Used to be configed with sli 780, no issues, downgraded gpus, started getting problems after a few months.

Got fed up, re-installed the machine, and now, I have straight up bsods with no error messages aside from the classic DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Here attached is my dump file in a 7z, what could be wrong ? Regular gpu intensive apps like hardcore video rendering on sony vegas doesnt bug using cuda, downclocked my cpu, gpu and ram to stock, to no avail, tried torture tests, no crash... tried disabling the 650ti for phyx, physically removing it, memtesting for days. Can't figure it out.

My install is fresh now next to nothing on the machine cept for a few games, my email client, office suite and vegas pro.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, could reward with free game coupons from nvidia or something similar :) just a big digital hug too !

Attached Files

Advertisements

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Memtest doesn't catch all bad RAM issues, I would also play around with the RAM. See if it does it with only one stick installed, swap which stick is installed, change which slot you use to test. Also, might be good to pull the SSDs and try a fresh install (or clone) on a different drive to see if it still happens. You said you tried pulling the 650ti, have you also tried pulling the 770?

mxdz

mxdz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Ram doesn't solve anything, 650ti and 770 dont use the same drivers so it's a pain to juggle them, both work fine in other systems with their respective drivers. SSDs are fine too, cloned and tried from an HDD (and its absurd load time hahaha) 

Could someone take a look at my dumpfile ?

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

The dump file says that hal.dll is causing the problem. Looking online it looks like quite a few things can can cause it. What I would do is pull the graphic cards and run on onboard video. Reset the BIOS/UEFI to defaults. Throw in the hard drive and reinstall windows. Test and see if it is stable. If it is, start adding stuff back and see when the problem returns. If it still occurs, flash the BIOS and start tweaking settings.

Edited by Trevorever, 13 April 2014 - 06:44 PM.