Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

simple question,from a NON expert

xp

• Please log in to reply

abracad

abracad

• Pip
  • 2 posts

USE XP, i do not have credit card info or any personal stuff, that is useful., therefore as a layman can i carry on for a few weeks, and not fret about attack as i have nothing that is of use, plus i never give my real name anyway,

just used for skype chat browser etc. so am i safe for a while ???

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

so am i safe for a while ???

Safety is a relative thing, and means different things to different people.

However, It is not recommended to allow a Win XP machine to connect to the Internet after 8th April 2014 without taking extra ordinary precautions.

If you are sure that it is currently free of virus and malicious elements, and fully patched by Windows Updates with all the security updates available as at 8th April 2014 then many experts would say that its Ok to continue to use it, offline (not on the Internet) and  provided that it is fully isolated from other computers, removable devices, CD DVD flash drives and other removable media and file transmission mechanisms You would also need to review the physical security surrounding your computer to make sure that no one could connect it to the Internet as they may not be aware of the risks.

Regards

paws

abracad

abracad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

so am i safe for a while ???

Safety is a relative thing, and means different things to different people.

However, It is not recommended to allow a Win XP machine to connect to the Internet after 8th April 2014 without taking extra ordinary precautions.

If you are sure that it is currently free of virus and malicious elements, and fully patched by Windows Updates with all the security updates available as at 8th April 2014 then many experts would say that its Ok to continue to use it, offline (not on the Internet) and  provided that it is fully isolated from other computers, removable devices, CD DVD flash drives and other removable media and file transmission mechanisms You would also need to review the physical security surrounding your computer to make sure that no one could connect it to the Internet as they may not be aware of the risks.

Regards

paws

conservative and solid advice,  i'll take it!! tx

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

:thumbsup: