Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 KB2919355 update fails

• Please log in to reply

woodrow896

woodrow896

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Hey all,

I have a great running win 8.1 machine, or so I thought, but this update fails every time.

I have run the DISM restore health and it cannot find source file. I pursued the issue farther and was instructed to set Group Policy to

download any needed fiiles from Windows Update but on my start screen nothing shows up when I type in Group Policy.

I tried..

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture - Copy.JPG

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Can you attach the c:\Windows\Logs\DISMS\dims.log to a new post.

If the file is to big copy the log to the Desktop zip it and attach the zip file.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I have been looking on other forums and it looks like others have problems with the same update.   hmmm

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

I add a reply yesterday but for some reason isn't on the forum now!

I have been looking on other forums and it looks like others have problems with the same update.   hmmm

Yes, it seems so.

Can you check if you have enough free space on the system drive C:, about 15% or more?

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I have much more free space than used....I guess this update is really upsetting the applecart in allot of machines  !

Thanks for the replys.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You are definitely not alone: Microsoft confirms it's dropping Windows 8.1 support

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Disable everything not absolutely required, especially anti-virus and anti-spyware programs like Malwarebytes. Kill all running programs not essential.

Just keep a record of what was running before doing this. I use screen shots to remember the info.

Now try the update.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

OK I disabled the anti virus, firewall, went to services and stopped adobe, all the updaters, all the HP stuff and anything else I recognized and still the update fails...geez.

Is there any way I can get at the download in safe mode? 

Thanks. 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

The dims log you posted contains errors related to the free space on the System Recovery partition!

[2860] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition5\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[2860] [0x80070070] ReadWriteDataInternal:(134): There is not enough space on the disk.

Can you use Disk Manager and check how much free space you have on the System Recovery partition?

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Maybe when I cloned the HD onto an SSD it skipped the recovery stuff ? Odd that SFC fixed an error once a while ago and it got its replacement data from somewhere.

Attached Thumbnails

• recovery - Copy.JPG

Edited by woodrow896, 16 April 2014 - 12:53 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Maybe when I cloned the HD onto an SSD it skipped the recovery stuff ? Odd that SFC fixed an error once a while ago and it got its replacement data from somewhere.

Did you move from a bigger HDD to a smaller SSD? Which tool did you use?

SFC uses data stored on a different place...

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Yes bigger HDD to smaller SSD but the SSD is twice the capacity than I presently use. Samsung 840 Pro and I used the Samsung Data Migration software.

Thanks !

Edited by woodrow896, 16 April 2014 - 02:42 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Yes bigger HDD to smaller SSD but the SSD is twice the capacity than I presently use. Samsung 840 Pro and I used the Samsung Data Migration software.

Thanks !

Did you resize the HDD partitions before cloning to the SSD?

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I didn't do anything. The software handles it except after it completed cloning I un-allocated some space for the drive to use called over-provisioning.To speed  up the drive a little, somehow.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I cloned the original Samsung 840 pro off the HDD a year ago. I cloned another identical SSD once a month or so for backup. This clone job came off an SSD. Sorry I wasn't clear. 

Everything alwys worked perfect with Windows 8 and 8.1 until this update. Looks like itis turning into a disaster. Thank you for the help. Is there a way I can load the "store" onto a partition

and set things up to go there if it needs to?

I did read something when I cloned the first SSD that the partions wouldn't be copied..or something to that effect. I am recalling that now.