Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 KB2919355 update fails

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

My machine is set up to mimick windows 7, in fact one may think it is windows 7 till they catch onto the gag and find there way onto the app screen..I have trouble with the app screen because once I am in there I can't find my way out of it sometimes...it is just miserable for me to deal with. 

The way your link describes to get into safe mode causes me grief because it is more steps than the way I get to safe mode.

Safe mode is actually useless to a PC that has a crashed operating system and won't boot up because as you say you can pound on F8 and most likely you won't get to safe mode. 

The dual boot option is the only logical answer, as far as I know anyhow, to be able to restore a damaged operating system from safe mode and I remember now that if you don't select either option it will by default boot up to windows normally in 3 seconds.if you set it to 3. The drawback is you have to wait another few seconds for the machine to boot under normal operation. I take my chances without it being that I have a back up SSD.

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

I know the feeling I don't like Windows 8/8.1 to me it doesn't make sense on a Desktop.

I use Windows 7 on my machine with tweaks also...

The remove of F8 to access Safe Mode its a very bad move. This is one of the reason that makes very important to have the Windows 8/8.1 install DVD or at least to create a System Repair Disk

Note: On Windows 8.1 you can only use a USB flash drive as destination for the System Repair Disk.

I have been working with computers for 16 years and by no means am I any kind of an expert. I do what I have to do with them and I get by and know a few tricks and how to trouble shoot a little bit and sometimes have to rely on a little help from my friends :-)
In all due respect I find Windows 8 absolutely useless to me and if there was not a way to get windows 7 on this latest notebook I would have done so.
What the heck was Microsoft thinking.
I use Rhapsody as an example to download music on my 7 machine so I find a Rhapsody app on the 8 machine and an hour later and 10 bucks I still cannot burn a disc...It won't allow it. What a croc. Another hour goes by and I call them and get my money back and go to the desktop and download the Rhrapsody program the old fashioned way and I was burning a disc in a few minutes for 99 cents a song.
I don't know if windows 8 is a big hit or not but if I had my guess I think microsoft shot themselves in the foot.
I appreciate the help. It is hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

Every time a new OS is released it will take sometime to find all the tricks and ways to polish the dam... thing, specially on this case where they did so many changes to worst...

I started studying IT at 23 years and everyday I learn something new. Sometimes from someone that know very little about computers...

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

In my opinion the right thing to do would have been to build 8 with the normal desktop as the boot up screen and have the app screen available to switch to if the user prefers. It would have been better for business to do it that way.  

Computers are hard enough for most people and 8 threw a monkey wrench into the cogs for normal people some of which is all they can do to get their email. Some people in business' who use computers because they have to, learn by repetition and I see why so many busness' are fighting replacing XP. You can't make a person learn a new system if they are un-interested and fight it. 

Now that safe mode is un-available in a boot up emergency we have to rely on the discs and USB as you said and I have never had any luck with fix-it discs for some darned reason other than to reload the system.

Chances are if we could get into safe mode at boot a simple restore to a previous point would solve the whole problem in minutes !!. I am talking myself into installing the dual boot options again :-)  

When 7 came out I bought 7 pro because I have devices made for XP such as automotive scan tools and programmers and turns out 7 Pro was useless in XP mode, I wasted 100 bucks or whatever the updrade was. I managed to get the devices connected in Win 7 mode by being persistent and kept plugging away at it. They even work on this 8 machine..I have to install a different USB driver for different devices but made it work somehow LOL  :-) 

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

It was real hard for me to learn anything I was not interested in but had to learn it...like I fought it. Same goes with computers. I didn't mean to imply people are stupid  because that is not the case. People who have no interest in computers but have to use them fight it just like I did, and still do on some other things. So keeping things the same or close to the same would have been in Microsofts best interest with the app screen as an option to keep up with all the gadgets people carry around with them these days.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Chances are if we could get into safe mode at boot a simple restore to a previous point would solve the whole problem in minutes !!. I am talking myself into installing the dual boot options again :-)  

That is one of the possibilities if you have the Windows 8 DVD or the System Repair Disk.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I'm back :-)   Now that 8.1 and the pesky update has been running for a while I have a couple of hiccups that are really annoying. SFC passes and for the most part runs good but the darn desktop will quit responding for 20 seconds or so every once in a while..The cursor works but nothing happens when I click on something....it does not "highlight" but remembers what I did and all of a sudden when it starts to respond again the folder I clicked on a few times will open as many times as I was clicking on it..Like I will have 5 copies of it open all at once.

Problem #2 is the centrino wireless adapter 2230 does not auto-connect half the time when I turn the notebook on. I have to connect manually. Loaded the latest and greatest driver from Intel and no difference. Ran the trouble shooting routine and didn't help either.

hmmmmm

Alain Eros Prestige

Alain Eros Prestige

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hey all,

I have a great running win 8.1 machine, or so I thought, but this update fails every time.

I have run the DISM restore health and it cannot find source file. I pursued the issue farther and was instructed to set Group Policy to

download any needed fiiles from Windows Update but on my start screen nothing shows up when I type in Group Policy.

I tried..

Thanks for any advice.

its useful?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

I'm back :-)   Now that 8.1 and the pesky update has been running for a while I have a couple of hiccups that are really annoying. SFC passes and for the most part runs good but the darn desktop will quit responding for 20 seconds or so every once in a while..The cursor works but nothing happens when I click on something....it does not "highlight" but remembers what I did and all of a sudden when it starts to respond again the folder I clicked on a few times will open as many times as I was clicking on it..Like I will have 5 copies of it open all at once.
Problem #2 is the centrino wireless adapter 2230 does not auto-connect half the time when I turn the notebook on. I have to connect manually. Loaded the latest and greatest driver from Intel and no difference. Ran the trouble shooting routine and didn't help either.
hmmmmm

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Minidump Files

Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Thanks.

The desktop became un-responsive for a time just before I ran the mini dump program. (part of the problem) 

Attached Files

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Before we proceed I happen to think I did a rogue-killer scan a week or 2 ago and I want to restore to an earlier point and see how it goes.....seems these problems happened after this..

I will report back.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Ok I restored back to just after the KB2919355 pesky update and the machine passes SFC and seems to connect to the internet upon startup every time. Now, the only problem

that I have is the desktop becomes un-responsive for 25 seconds but the cursor moves and remembers all my "clicks" and after a time folders or whatever I had clicked on all open at once.

What a pain in the rear. But, it only does it once after a re-boot. Never saw anything like it.

I may have to just live with it but I wonder what controls the desktop folders ? 

Thanks

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I see others having windows explorer problems with 8.1...Here is a snip of my reliability report.  Same problem over and over upon first use of a desktop folder or file icon after a start up..

Thanks. 

Attached Thumbnails

• crash - Copy.JPG

Edited by woodrow896, 04 May 2014 - 03:52 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

The log show some errors related to IAStorDataSvc and this is associated with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology try to update the software/driver. Download the last version from the Intel site here.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I updated the Intel Rapid Storage driver and it didn't help. Put the cloned SSD back in and restored back to 4 18 which was before the goofy KB2919355 update. All was well with the desktop.

Installed updates up to, but not including 355 and still all was well with the desktop.

Installed KB2919355 again and the desktop F'd up again.

The machine was and is flawless except for that now.

I figured out if I click on a text document or exe on the desktop it is fine but if I open a folder, it opens but nothing else on the desktop will respond for a while, like 30 seconds again. Maybe longer.

And again it remembered my keystrokes of me pounding on something to open and it will open about 27 copies of it when it gets around to responding again LOL !

It only screws up 1 time on the first folder on desktop I try to open and is good from then on but what a pain and it appears to be a glitch in the update.

What a pain LOL

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I boot to desktop using Classic Shell which is updated and didn't help. Maybe some or most people do not see this issue because they are not using desktop...never thought of that.  hmmmmm 

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Also I should mention that before I put the cloned SSD back in, I disabled Intel Rapid Storage in services for a couple of boot ups and it didn't solve the problem.