Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion a1310n / loads xp and then shuts down

• Please log in to reply

chucksue

chucksue

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

My desk top will format the hard drive when I reinstall XP. After XP is completely loaded it directs me to remove the OS disk and the computer will reboot. Computer reboots and the windows logo appears showing the moving line below the logo. It runs only for a few seconds and the computer turns off. Is this a sign that the processor is bad? Any ideas?

Advertisements

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

First thing you should do is boot to a CD and run a hard drive test. Here are some instructions for Seatools.

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I downloaded the Sea Tools and will try it. The hard drive I am using in the computer came from another computer that was working.

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The disk would not load. I set the Biose to first boot cd boot and second hdd boot. I loaded XP on a second hard drive that I had and the computer does the same thing. Windows screen will come up and then the computer will shut down.?????

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Hmm, it does complicate things that you can't boot to cd. Can you test on another computer to make sure that the cd is actually bootable? Did you use a CD or a DVD?

If you are unfamiliar with installing RAM take a look here. Open up the computer and Take out all the RAM sticks except for one. Then try to boot up the computer. If that does not work, remove that stick and put in a different one in a different slot and try to boot.

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I ran a hard drive test and the drive had a few bad sectors. The dvd/cd drive recognizes a boot disk. I just can't understand why after loading the OS it shuts down.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Bad sectors is not good, but that doesn't explain why it does the exact same thing on the second drive. If you don't want to open the computer up and play with the RAM, you could boot to a Memtest86+ to test it.

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I will try the memtest. I have the computer open. I ordered a new hard drive. It is a sata the others are for the ribbon. I don't know if I have any ram like the one the mother board has. I will remove one as you said and try it.

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I could not get memtest to run.I also loaded win 98. Guess what it did the same thing. I( also noticed that when I was directed to remove the disc and let the computer reboot (the computer never shut down.) I have a hi res boot disc that I will run to check the memory.????????????

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Did you get a look at the RAM? Take them all out except one and try to boot. If it does not work, remove that stick and put another back in but in a different slot than the last one.

Advertisements

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I took one out and it would not boot. I will swap the ram and try again. Where does the computer get the command to restart? I installed the new hdd and no change. Before I changed it the computer came up and asked if I wanted to start windows in safe mode and it came up.

Edited by chucksue, 20 April 2014 - 12:29 PM.

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Generally restarting happens for a couple reasons
Overheating
Bad power supply
Bad hard drive
Bad ram
Incompatible component
Bad mothetboard.

I do not think it is the first two because you were anle to go through the installation without issue.

You should also try booting to safe mode, that might give some more insight.

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
If the power supply was bad it would not let me run long enough for the OS to load. So ram or mother board are left. The hdd is new. What about the cpu???

Trevorever

Trevorever

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
CPUs very very very rarely go bad.

What is all connected to the computer, does it have a separate graphics card or any add on cards?

chucksue

chucksue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
The computer is bare bones. Has no cards.