Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet connection good but cant connect to internet.

internet connection

• Please log in to reply

meandmy3tees

meandmy3tees

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have an Internet connection but when I double click on Internet I just get a bonk sound. And it goes no where. Is like my icon for intent is not working. Just like the two are not linked together.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

How do you know you have a working internet connection? 

Please do the following:

Click on Start then Run or press Window key (next to left Ctrl key) +R and paste the following into the Run box, exactly as shown, including double quotes:

cmd /c "ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt"

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted and the Command Prompt window will also close.

If you don't have a Run selection off the Start menu, see here: Enable Run Command on Windows 7 or Vista Start Menu, or just press Windows Key (next to the left Ctrl key) + R.

AndrewThegeek

AndrewThegeek

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

A few questions to ask you first of all have you downloaded anything? You either have software that is conflicting with your internet connection such as  to many security softwares or a type of maleware that may be blocking your internet connection. As the post mession what it basically does is to see if informaiton is being sent to the website. Ill wait for your reply. Also  give me a date for when the problem occurred first of all .

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

In addition,  the logs below woulld help us see your issue in  greater detail.

Please go here and download Speccy run the program and when it is finished Hit File >>>>>>Publish Snap Shot>>>> A link will pop-up on your desktop please post it here in your next reply.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Download Security Check by screen317 from here.​
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
  • Please copy and pase log in next reply.

meandmy3tees

meandmy3tees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
My problem with all you have asked for is that I need an Internet connection to do any of the posts above. I can't send any replys with no Internet connection. I am replying to this off my I-pad. I even thought of just replying by typing what it said. So this is the first answer to ztruker. It says:

Windows ip configuration
ping Request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

That is all that came up. But again I couldn't copy and paste since I got it from my I-pad. So I just retyped it on here.
Hope that makes sense. Lol

meandmy3tees

meandmy3tees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I did this with my other computer also and got a lot more info then the first computer it is as follows:

window ip configuration:
Host name
primary dnx suffix
node type. Broadcast
ip routing enabled. No
wins proxy enabled. No

ethernet adapter local area connection

media state. Media disconnected
description. Realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet nic physical address 00-11-D8-94-e6-b9

Ping Request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

media state: media disconnected
description. Realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet nic
physical address. 00-11-D8-94-e6-b9

ping Request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.
So I'm confused. :(

meandmy3tees

meandmy3tees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
As far as per rockmilk's request. I happen to have speccy already so I ran it. When I went to post it I get box with a red X saying the server name or address could not be resolved..

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Can you transfer the logs from your sick machine with a cd or usb device since you have another machine please. :)

meandmy3tees

meandmy3tees

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I am even more confused. I don't have either machines that will go online now. Please reread what I wrote because everything I sent you was all that I got when running speccy. All I'm on right now is just an ipad. There is no place for a cd or any usb transfer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello meandmy3tees

Can i just confirm that you now have two computers that will not connect to the internet + ask how the computers connect to the internet as in by way of a wireless device or a wired Lan connection (ethernet cable) router etc.