Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

external cd-rw compatibility

• Please log in to reply

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I connected an external cd burner to a Dell Optiplex GX110 and got this message:

"hi-speed device plugged into non hi-speed USB port: this device will function at reduced speed"
It will function (I think), but will just write slower (I've been told). Is there a way to adapt the non hi-speed USB port so that the device will function to its potential?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Jacamus

Jacamus

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
No. Sorry. Your unit has USB 1.1 and your Drive is USB 2.0.

It kind like Throwing a match on a fire and expecting it to burn hotter.

Just will not work at the faster speed. But yes it will work. If you have a PCMCIA card slot you may be able to find a pc card with USB 2.0 ports on it. This could remedy your situation.

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Jacamus-

Thanks for your reply. :tazz: --I was hoping that wasn't the answer, but it is an old computer. Sorry, I don't know where to look to see if I have a PCMCIA card slot. Where in my computer would it be located? Thanks.

Jacamus

Jacamus

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
What is the model of your unit?

Is it a desktop or a notebook?

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry...It is a desktop (mini-tower) Dell Optiplex GX110. Is this something I could find out on the Dell site?

Jacamus

Jacamus

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
try
support.dell.com without the www.
input the service tag number and see a list of parts and available slots if any.