Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help to install new HDD

• Please log in to reply

Kejserl

Kejserl

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hi

I have bought a new HDD, because my originals were completly done.

i have replaced the HDD without trouble. I have an HP pavillion dv7, i have bought some system recovery disks.

but when i try to install it, i get the message "no bootable device" insert boot disk and press any key" - and I have inserted my disk, of course. i dont know what to do.. i have tried any advise i had found on the internet, nothing works..

i hope you could help me 

best regards

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi Kejserl,

Did you change the Boot order on the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive?

If I'm not mistaken on HP machines you can use the F9 key during boot to select the boot device without the need of changing the boot order on the BIOS.

c02257560.gif

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 April 2014 - 01:45 PM.

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I changed it to boot from my DVD in BIOS, but still got that message.

i have run a test, to check my HDD, and completed the test with no problems. 

is it possible its my DVD drive that dont works? 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

is it possible its my DVD drive that dont works?

It's a possibility! Do you have any other Operating System install disk to test like Windows XP, Linux, etc.?

Inside the BIOS can you see any information related to the Hard Disk like model and size?

If you have more than one Recovery Disk try booting with all of them, maybe they are wrongly labeled!

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

http://www.edbpriser...id-6747767.aspx thats a link to my HDD .

I have tried every disk, with the same result

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Kejserl

Couple of questions while SleepyDude is offline;

What type of system recovery disks do you have - post a link to where you got them from if you can.

Do you have access to another computer that you could use to download an ISO to and either burn it to disk or save it to a thumb drive.

Your link is to an SSD and not a HDD, if you have HP system restore disks that are specific to your model of notebook it is unlikely that there will be drivers for the Kingston SSD drive on the disks,

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i've got my recovery DVD's from best2serve.com, where I gave them my computers Product number.

it is a SSD (so thats the issue), and i've got others computers where i can burn disks. what's a Thumb drive ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
i've got my recovery DVD's from best2serve.com, where I gave them my computers Product number.

Did you tell them that you would not be using the original HDD or a like for like replacement of the original HDD.

As you are replacing the HDD due to the original one being bad you would have been better to either download the appropriate ISO for your Microsoft product that was installed on the failed HDD or purchase a genuine Windows installation disk, the first option would have been free providing that your OS was Vista or above and you have the appropriate product key for the OS.

What OS was installed on the failed HDD.

Do you have the 25 digit Microsoft product key for the OS that was installed on the failed HDD.

In answer to your question;

what's a Thumb drive ?

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

My windows use to be Windows 7 Home premium - my 25 digits are unreadable.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Did you tell them that you would not be using the original HDD or a like for like replacement of the original HDD.

If you did you may be able to return the disk/s, JFYI the disk/s would have been of no present use to you in any event without the appropriate OS product key, this because an SSD was not a part of the original configuration and so there will not be any compatible firmware on the recovery disk/s to recognise an SSD, installing a non OEM version of W7 is the easiest way forward, that or ask HP for recovery disks that will recognise an SSD.

My windows use to be Windows 7 Home premium - my 25 digits are unreadable.

We can help you with obtaining an ISO but you will need a product key, have you checked any paperwork that may have been provided with the computer in case the details are available there.

What was the problem with the previous HDD and do you still have it, there may be an outside chance of obtaining the OS product key off it, depending on what the problem is/was with it.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

If you did you may be able to return the disk/s, JFYI the disk/s would have been of no present use to you in any event without the appropriate OS product key.

Actually the restore disks will not need any key to work because they are specific for HP and will match with the information contained on the computer BIOS to activate off-line without any validation required.

If you have access to another computer try to boot using the fist recovery disk it should boot the system and allow you to cancel without stating the restore process. If the disk doesn't work in other computer most likely it's corrupted and you could probably request for a replacement.

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i didnt tell them, that it was i different one.. 

they have a system, where i wrote which model it was, and then my product number, and that was it.

i didnt know that I had to tell them it was i new SSD - i didnt had the opportunity either, when I ordered.

The problem with my old HDD, was that my computer could start, and when I run a harddisk test it failed.

the product key isnt on the HDD either.

If i somehow can get my product key, you will be abled to help?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

i didnt tell them, that it was i different one.. 

they have a system, where i wrote which model it was, and then my product number, and that was it.

i didnt know that I had to tell them it was i new SSD - i didnt had the opportunity either, when I ordered.

SleepyDude appears to have an insight on these disk/s that I do not I`m afraid, what I post below may be secondary if you do not need to enter your product key when using the disk/s that you have.

The problem with my old HDD, was that my computer could start, and when I run a harddisk test it failed.

Do you still have the HDD and were you still able to boot into Windows on it, if the answer is yes to both then your product key is stored on the HDD itself and you may be able to obtain it using a program such as The Magical Jelly Bean key finder.

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I hasn't tried to boot it on my old HDD - but I'll try, and return afterwards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

It may help if you try booting into Safe Mode with Networking, details here