Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help to install new HDD

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

i didnt tell them, that it was i different one.. 

they have a system, where i wrote which model it was, and then my product number, and that was it.

i didnt know that I had to tell them it was i new SSD - i didnt had the opportunity either, when I ordered.

SleepyDude appears to have an insight on these disk/s that I do not I`m afraid, what I post below may be secondary if you do not need to enter your product key when using the disk/s that you have.

I know for sure that the Recovery Disks specific for a big OEM will activate windows without the need of any key, the system is restored already activated.

I had an HP Pavillion DV6 in the past...

Advertisements

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i've tried to install my original HDD, but my original HDD is simply DEAD - it makes some wierd noises. 

I think I'll have to try to burn that DVD you mentioned earlier in this conversation - i'm still working on getting my OS product key

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Can you try to boot from the 1st Recovery DVD in another computer?

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

sure - what should I looking for, when i boot i ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

sure - what should I looking for, when i boot i ?

If the machine starts from the DVD I suppose you will see something like this:

5a9vl.jpg

Click Cancel, you only want to check if the DVD works.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

They are just looking to see if the recovery DVD is bootable on another unit. If it is it could be pointing to a bad DVD/CD reader.

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I've talked with an HP supporter who told me, it is because I have changed to  SSD.

So i think that if you maybe could help me getting an appropriate ISO file, so i could burn it on a disk or a thump drive - i'll be able to get my OS product key afterwards - via http://www.magicalje....com/keyfinder/. that's what the supporter told me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Have you made any progress with this Kejserl!

Not sure why HP support would tell you that you could retrieve your product key off the failed HDD once you have downloaded an ISO.

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

i haven't maked any process :(

phillpower2 - U talked about downloading an ISO file and burn it on a disc. 

is it possible for you to show me where i download it?

Or could it be an idea to contact Kingston - where i bought my SSD? - maybe they have an install disc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The problem that you have is that you do not have the 25 digit Microsoft product key that you would need to enter in order for the operating system to be reactivated with MS so that you can download security updates etc, you could try and recover the product key from the broken HDD using Puppy Linux which we can help you with if you like, if the HDD is totally hosed then this option is ruled out, an alternative option (which is also long winded) would be to borrow or buy a standard HDD, use the HP recovery disk  with the temporary HDD (make a note of the product key and store it somewhere safe) make sure that Windows and other important software are fully updated and then create your own back up disk, image or clone the drive using Macrium Reflect (free) which you can get from here

Once the OS is on the HDD you can transfer it to your SSD.

Was there Kingston cloning software provided with the SSD, this to transfer the OS from the temporary HDD to the SSD.

Kingston will not have or would be able to provide you with an OS and product key free of charge, it is also not their responsibility.

Advertisements

Kejserl

Kejserl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

What if i'm willing to pay for a new OS product key?
is there someway i could be able to buy a disc with windows?

if not, i could try to install my HDD from my 2. laptop

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
What if i'm willing to pay for a new OS product key?
is there someway i could be able to buy a disc with windows?

As you have a HP recovery disk that has a product key integrated into the software the above would be an unnecessary expense, you would be better off both financially and for storage space if you obtained a standard HDD ( + an external USB HDD enclosure) installed the recovery software to the HDD, once done you could transfer the software to the SSD, remove the HDD from the notebook and then fit the SSD, you would then have a back up of the OS on the external HDD + additional storage space that you can use on the HDD and enclosure, you can also purchase SATA adapters that do the same thing, an example here

An alternative free software + details for migrating data from a HDD to an SSD is Easeus which can be found here 

if not, i could try to install my HDD from my 2. laptop

Please explain what you are thinking.