Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 8.1 running very slow [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,991 posts

Are you referring to the first scan or the custom fix? If the former, the extra log is in my very first post in this thread.

Oh dear my mistake. Yes I see it there and I don't see anything in that will help us with the problem you have.

Yes, latest Firefox version. I have tried with IE and Chrome and the same problem occurs with those as well.

Suggests to me that it is not Firefox but Comodo that is doing this.

Without knowing what programs are involved I can't determine if this is malicious activity or not.

As I understand it there is a way to see connection activity with Comodo but you have to download some software that allows you to identify what's going on.

The link below gives you instructions on how to this:

http://help.comodo.c...-451-4747-.html

If you are happy to install this and report back what it tells you then hopefully we can see whether there is a problem or not. :)

Advertisements

jn1000

jn1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

I downloaded Killswitch. I don't see anything suspicious in the network activity, but I don't know that I have the knowledge to make such determinations. What should I be looking for?

Suggests to me that it is not Firefox but Comodo that is doing this.

Hmm. But the browser related problem started suddenly, after months of having Comodo installed, and no tweaking of settings. I don't see any explanation for it.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,991 posts

I don't see anything suspicious in the network activity, but I don't know that I have the knowledge to make such determinations. What should I be looking for?

Can you show me a screen shot of what it is reporting?

Hmm. But the browser related problem started suddenly, after months of having Comodo installed, and no tweaking of settings. I don't see any explanation for it.

Maybe a result of a Windows update or another program updated or added?

Or

Maybe a result of a cookie or data sharing activity.

You could try emptying cache and cookies and disabling Telemetry and Firefox health report.

Go to the link below for a guide on how to clear cache in Firefox:

https://support.mozi...r-firefox-cache

Go to the link below for a guide on how to clear cookies in Firefox:

https://support.mozi...ookies&r=1&as=s

Go to the links below for a guide on how to turn data sharing (Telemetry and Health Report) on and off.

https://support.mozi...report&r=0&as=s

https://support.mozi...report&r=1&as=s

jn1000

jn1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

I always clear cache and cookies, plus it doesn't explain why the same problem occurred even on new browsers that I've never tried before (Chrome). However, for whatever reason, now the browser problem seems to be gone... Perhaps yesterday's Windows update did something.

I've sent you screenshots of Killswitch via PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,991 posts

Hello again jn1000,

I've sent you screenshots of Killswitch via PM.

I have answered you PM.

As I said earlier I am not seeing malware in your logs. I think there has been some technical problem, maybe something to do with Win 8 that was fixed with an update or maybe some conflict going on somewhere. In any event you would be better off getting technical advice.

You can open a new topic in the Windows 8 forum here if you wish to pursue it.

For now we have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.

• Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

To remove AdwCleaner double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Uninstall, then confirm with yes to remove AdwCleaner from your computer.

Any remaining tools may be deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder:  Remember to (re-install if uninstalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Java warning

Java is a popular point of entry to your computer for malicous programs. The United States Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java, see here. Unless you need it to run an important software the safest approach is to completely uninstall Java. Where you do require it, then the next safest option is to disable it in your browsers until you need it, then enable it.

How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser

If you do still need Java then regularly check that it is up to date. Older versions are the most vulnerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.

• Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

• Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CryptoLocker Warning

There is a particularly nasty infection out there at the moment.

Go here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware

Download CryptoPrevent free for home use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
    * Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
    * Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

Have a safe and happy computing day!

jn1000

jn1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Ok, thank you very much! I'll follow the advice.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,991 posts

You are very welcome. :happy:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 19,991 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.