Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help! Format PC and Win XP istall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jacamus

Jacamus

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

so you're saying that while reinstalling windows you were surfing the internet from the three computers you were installing on?

View Post

:tazz:

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
y would he need to get on during the instalation of windows :tazz:

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just found out that I can't reboot PC2 with a XP proffessional disk because it wants the XP home edition cd. At least I know it will reboot if I have the right CD. By the way, I have a "non-original" Windows XP Professional CD. Will that make a difference? It runs well on my more functional PC1.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
reread last post.....horrible miscommunication on my part

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
plz elaberate "non-original" we do not suport pirated software

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it is a full version of windows it shouldnt matter what version of windows was on pc2 to begin with.
if you boot from the cd it should go to the windows setup dialog and allow you to format/reinstall

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"we"

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well where do you get a Windows XP cd if you got your windows installed when you bought the PC? In fact, the particular version of windows I have now I got from a friend who has the original, but sadly she passed away two weeks ago and she lived alone. It would be a bit akward to ask her family to go seek through her stuff for the CD. Also a bit insensitive. This sounds fabricated but it is true.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this might help http://www.microsoft...ips/doug92.mspx

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i still recomend installing a fresh copy of windows by booting from the xp cd

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is a little better than the other one
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=316941

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Tell me this then. If the PC gives the following message after selecting boot from cd: "please enter a copy of windows XP home edition into cd-rom drive"
is it because I am using a non-original cd or is it because the non-original cd is XP professional instead of XP home edition?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok just to check your process. you put the xp cd in your cdrom drive and then restarted your pc right?

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks dsenette!! but PC2 not accepting the CD.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Well where do you get a Windows XP cd if you got your windows installed when you bought the PC? In fact, the particular version of windows I have now I got from a friend who has the original, but sadly she passed away two weeks ago and she lived alone. It would be a bit akward to ask her family to go seek through her stuff for the CD. Also a bit insensitive. This sounds fabricated but it is true.

View Post

It may be insensitive but the fact remains you are using a pirated/copied version of XP which is both illegal and not supported by this forum..

Should you purchase your own copy or a license for that copy from Microsoft, we will be able to continue support..

Until then, I will be asking a Moderator to close this thread!!

Sorry..

Murray