Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Locks up/Freezes during gaming

• Please log in to reply

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello, I've been having this issue where my computer will freeze when gaming for a couple of months now and I've yet to find a solution to the issue.

What would happen normally is that I would run a game and everything will be fine until all of a sudden I can hear a loud sound and notice the image completely frozen. I've left it for several minutes sometimes and the image never changes; I've also noticed that no keyboard commands will work, mouse won't work, if I toggle the capslock key then the keyboard's LED won't toggle on or off and I'm left with no option other than a hard reset.

This happens on basically any game I've tried (Battlefield 4, Skyrim, Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-String: Global Offensive, Shadow Warrior, even at some point Doom 1 and Quake 1 too). If I lower the settings and resolution in some of the games I can play for quite a while, for example I tried Global Offensive at 1024x768 (native atm is 1920x1440) and it ran well for several hours, it froze, then I lowered the resolution to 800x600 and it hasn't frozen yet. I play the games with everything on low yet they still freeze when I could comportably max them out. I can do everyday tasks normally and encounter no freezes whatsoever.

These issues started happening right after I upgraded my CPU and motherboard (I used to have a Gygabyte 880GM-USB3L motherboard and an AMD Phenom 2 x4 955BE CPU) every component worked perfectly right before upgrading and I could game enslessly with no issues.

My PC specs are as follows:

• Mobo: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
  • CPU: AMD FX-8350 
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 660Ti GC 3GB 
  • RAM: 2 x 4GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G
  • PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W
  • HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 (2TB)

I don't have anything that's overclocked (the GPU comes "factory overclocked" I believe though, it shouldn't be much of a problem).

I can replicate the issue easily and quickly by running the 3DMark benchmark. It always freezes. I've also tried the Heaven Benchmark and it did freeze too, it didn't freeze when running Furmark for about an hour though.

Other than that what I've tried doing so far is:

Reinstalling Windows.

Reinstalling drivers, I've also rolled back and then I also tried the newest drivers, games still froze.

I've made sure I have the most recent BIOS.

I've monitored my temperatures and they never get too high.

I've run memtest 86+ for about 7 hours with no errors.

I've run Prime95 for 29 hours with no errors.

I tried every stick of RAM by itself and I still got the freezing.

I've cleaned the gold contacts on the RAM and video card with an eraser.

Checked for bent pins.

At one point I put my old CPU back in (the 955BE) and it still froze in game, but I could alt tab and close the game in the task manager, the entire system didn't freeze. I have to say I only tried it once though.

This has led me to believe that it might probably be the PSU giving me the issue, but I have not had access to another PSU to test this on, I've even looked at several PC shops locally and none can help me, I also tried contacting several local technicians but every time they just stop contacting me and never really come around to help.

I'm willing to try anything I can do to help fix the issue but at this time I really don't know what to do other than buying a new PSU. I just need to know for sure if it's the PSU I need because the stuff I've seen that's 80Plus silver (or gold) and 850 Watts (or more, it depends on the availability) is pretty expensive.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday 8Bitterness,  :welcome: 

It would be helpful to see the voltage outoyt frin tge OSY,

Thanks to Phillpower2 for the instruction below. 

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Okay I installed SpeedFan and took a screenshot, it didn't display voltages though, I don't know why.

Here are the screenshots.

1o9qFiv.jpg

XUqXfCI.jpg

If there's anything I should've done or something I gotta do to help I'll do it.

These were taken just right now, I could also try running a benchmark that would freeze my system and take a screenshot with my phone of the readings when my pc freezes.

Edited by 8Bitterness, 18 April 2014 - 12:27 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

From HWM, voltages look OK so another test is needed.

Please download AIDA64 Extreme 30 day trial, (exe or portable, up to you) Run as many of the tests as possible.  

> you do get a freeze, yes, take a photo.

I really don't know what to do other than buying a new PSU. I just need to know for sure if it's the PSU I need because the stuff I've seen that's 80Plus silver (or gold) and 850 Watts 

Let's wait for the test results first then if needed select a PSU, 500/600W will be OK.

http://www.galaxytechus.com/__US__/Product6/ProductDetail?proID=8&isStop=0

Minimum System Power Requirement (W)   450W, 24 Amps. 

Supplementary Power Connectors One 6-pin,One 8-pin

http://www.game-deba...-ii-top-edition

http://www.hardocp.c...13#.U1G2jlWSyRg

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Okay I downloaded the portable version of AIDA64 Extreme and did all the test I could find (maybe I missed some) except for the HDD stuff, I could get through all of them and my PC didn't completely freeze, though I must say that during the stability test (ran it for an hour, games usually crash way quicker than that) my PC was very slow.

Here are the results:

Cache & Memory benchmark

ZNDUy9C.jpg

GPU benchmark

RhTjXaN.jpg

Memory read benchmark

tdVQleI.jpg

Memory write benchmark

NI366xf.jpg

Memory copy benchmark

CDw5mra.jpg

Memory latency

pKycSUo.jpg

CPU Queen

SXiZMt7.jpg

CPU PhotoWorxx

SpPlgQZ.jpg

CPU ZLib

9yy30KP.jpg

CPU AES

JbEvQPd.jpg

CPU Hash

nMiqVqn.jpg

FPU VP8

GDHYHPY.jpg

FPU Julia

sleoP7x.jpg

FPU Mandel:

oMr12z2.jpg

FPU SinJulia

YHOpuMO.jpg

I also ran 3DMark again, it froze as usual and I took this picture of HWMonitor (had it running on another monitor) once everything was frozen:

70e5k20.jpg

Here's also a picture of the stress test screen shortly after I stopped it too, just in case:

8idXYxq.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but since I didn't really know what to check for I took screenshots of everything.

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Earlier today I downloaded OCCT and performed the benchmarks it has, I can confirm that my PC will freeze completely with the GPU and the PSU test (the PSU test seems to be the GPU test + CPU running at the same time). These benchmarks are very similar to Furmark.

Now obviously I used this GPU for months before I upgraded and it always worked 100% right up to the point before I made the upgrade to my mobo and CPU. So I would assume it's not a GPU issue.

I have no clue what the issue could be though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Don't worry about long posts, the more info the better. 

I had a collogue,  phillpower2, look at the results and he has made some suggestion, so will paste his reply to me Below.

The Ram values are incorrect in every test, the Ram is Cas latency 9 but reported as 11 etc.

Took a look at the said topic and find that the voltages are consistently out of wack, the memory is rated at 1.5V but if you look at the HWMonitor readings the VIN 3/4 and 6/8 are reading at circa 1.6V, 1.176V, 1.380V and 1.656V, these are typically the voltages for the memory slots and the North and Southbridge, whichever two readings apply to the memory slots they are clearly not right.

(please do this first)  NB: I would ask 8Bitterness to confirm that the appropriate A2 and B2 memory slots (blue) A2 is the second one away from the CPU and B2 is the one closest to the edge of the MB

Suggestions would include restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS, using the MemOK button on the MB, doing some gaming and restarting the computer to check the voltage and temp readings in the BIOS.

I note that 8Bitterness said nothing had been overclocked, if the reported voltages are accurate and resetting the BIOS does not correct them it suggests a faulty MB voltage regulator or a bad PSU imo.

If it helps use the canned below for the OP. (yes, many Thanks)

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Finally running Everest and providing a screenshot for you.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

end.

Phillpower2 noted you said no overclocking, but I see readings of a 3/5% overclcock applied.   Have you any overclocking/tweaking software installed?

Also include a new HWMonitor and stress result as you did in the previous reply. 

Lastly, please run the ADIA64 Memory Latency bench again and include a screenshot.

Thanks. 

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Okay, I made sure to load the optimized defaults in the BIOS then I did the MemOK! button thing and the PC booted and said it was successful. Before resetting to the motherboard defaults the temperatures were:

CPU Temp = 46C

Motherboard Temp = 27C

Voltages were:

CPU Voltage = 1.356V

+3.3V = 3.240V

+5V = 4.950V

+12V = 11.943V

After loading the optimized defaults and performing the MemOK! the CPU temp and Mobo temp stayed about the same; a tad higher. The voltages remained exactly the very same.

The RAM timings then set themselves to 11-11-11-28 @ 669.0 MHz (dual channel). The RAM sticks were already placed in the correct slots.

I downloaded the free version of Everest but it wouldn't work correctly because of some unsigned 64 bit drivers, so then just looking up some info on the issue I found out that AIDA64 is just the new Everest so I did the Everest stuff in AIDA64 Extreme.

Here's the report on the system summary:

--------[ AIDA64 Extreme ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version                                           AIDA64 v4.30.2900
    Benchmark Module                                  4.1.611-x64
    Homepage                                          http://www.aida64.com/
    Report Type                                       Report Wizard
    Computer                                          DIEGO-PC
    Generator                                         Diego
    Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 6.3.9600.16452 (Win8.1 RTM)
    Date                                              2014-04-20
    Time                                              16:17

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
      Computer Type                                     ACPI x64-based PC
      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional
      OS Service Pack                                   -
      Internet Explorer                                 11.0.9600.16659
      DirectX                                           DirectX 11.2
      Computer Name                                     DIEGO-PC
      User Name                                         Diego
      Logon Domain                                      Diego-PC
      Date / Time                                       2014-04-20 / 16:17

Motherboard:
      CPU Type                                          OctalCore AMD FX-8350, 4200 MHz (21 x 200)
      Motherboard Name                                  Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0  (1 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 4 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
      Motherboard Chipset                               AMD 990FX, AMD K15
      System Memory                                     8092 MB  (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
      DIMM3: Kingston 99U5471-012.A00LF                 4 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM  (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz)  (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz)  (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz)  (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz)
      DIMM4: Kingston 99U5471-012.A00LF                 4 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM  (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz)  (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz)  (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz)  (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz)
      BIOS Type                                         AMI (11/22/2013)
      Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti  (3 GB)
      Video Adapter                                     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti  (3 GB)
      3D Accelerator                                    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
      Monitor                                           Samsung SyncMaster S22A300B/S22A350B (Digital)  [21.5" LCD]  (H9NBA00929)
      Monitor                                           Sony CPD-G520P  [21" CRT]  (8028528)

Multimedia:
      Audio Adapter                                     nVIDIA HDMI/DP @ nVIDIA GK104 - High Definition Audio Controller
      Audio Adapter                                     Realtek ALC892 @ ATI SB900 - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
      IDE Controller                                    Standard SATA AHCI Controller
      Storage Controller                                Asmedia 106x SATA Controller
      Storage Controller                                Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
      Disk Drive                                        ST2000DM001-1CH164  (2000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-III)
      Optical Drive                                     HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS70  (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:22x/8x, DVD-RW:22x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
      SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
      C: (NTFS)                                         1862.9 GB (1392.0 GB free)
      Total Size                                        1862.9 GB (1392.0 GB free)

Input:
      Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device
      Mouse                                             Logitech HID-compliant G500 Gaming Mouse

Network:
      Primary IP Address                                192.168.1.70
      Primary MAC Address                               B0-48-7A-B3-A4-74
      Network Adapter                                   Qualcomm Atheros AR5007G Wireless Network Adapter  (192.168.1.70)
      Network Adapter                                   Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
      Network Adapter                                   TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 (Tunngle)

Peripherals:
      Printer                                           Fax
      Printer                                           Microsoft XPS Document Writer
      Printer                                           Send To OneNote 2010
      USB1 Controller                                   ATI SB900 - OHCI USB Controller
      USB1 Controller                                   ATI SB900 - OHCI USB Controller
      USB2 Controller                                   ATI SB900 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
      USB2 Controller                                   ATI SB900 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
      USB3 Controller                                   ASMedia ASM1042 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
      USB3 Controller                                   ASMedia ASM1042 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
      USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
      USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
      USB Device                                        USB Input Device
      USB Device                                        USB Root Hub
      USB Device                                        USB Root Hub

DMI:
      DMI BIOS Vendor                                   American Megatrends Inc.
      DMI BIOS Version                                  2201
      DMI System Manufacturer                           To be filled by O.E.M.
      DMI System Product                                To be filled by O.E.M.
      DMI System Version                                To be filled by O.E.M.
      DMI System Serial Number                          To be filled by O.E.M.
      DMI System UUID                                   A090A47C-3FB8DC11-8466AC22-0B5119AF
      DMI Motherboard Manufacturer                      ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
      DMI Motherboard Product                           M5A99FX PRO R2.0
      DMI Motherboard Version                           Rev 1.xx
      DMI Motherboard Serial Number                     131017478000620
      DMI Chassis Manufacturer                          To Be Filled By O.E.M.
      DMI Chassis Version                               To Be Filled By O.E.M.
      DMI Chassis Serial Number                         To Be Filled By O.E.M.
      DMI Chassis Asset Tag                             To Be Filled By O.E.M.
      DMI Chassis Type                                  Desktop Case

And here's the sensor screenshot:

FlpYAAV.jpg

I am pretty sure I don't have any OC software installed. I also thought it was weird when I saw the 3% OC on the CPU but I am 100% certain that I've never fiddled with it at all.

Here's the memory latency benchmark:

lB7QvaL.jpg

I ran the benchmark again and it still froze my PC, here's the HWMmonitor screen from when it froze as well as the benchmark's info screen:

PDZVSPG.jpg

BPBCrXw.jpg

Finally, I ran the AIDA64 system stability test for about 8 mins (takes less than that to freeze the PC) but this time I had the voltages tab opened:

cyDL5rd.jpg

I hope this is useful since I would really like to see this issue solved.

If there's anything else you need me to do just post it and I'll do my best.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

RAM speed/voltage is still incorrect.

An uppdate of the BIOS may be useful, please note the Asus warning about doing so. > https://www.asus.com...pDesk_Download/

BIOS, fixes stability, Check if you need any other updates.

After updating, restart the computer to the desktop.

> restart > enter BIOS, Check time/date/ (if present, language/location) are correct.

> Press F5, if prompted, > Press F10, Save and exit.

Please check the MB on board LEDS, there should be just one lit to indicate the power is on.

At the desktop, check the clock to make sure time.date and and time zone are correct.

Please test and upload new screenshots as you did in the previous reply. 

Do you have any other compatible RAM we could use on the MB?

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I updated the BIOS to the most recent version (it was released march 27) and loaded the optimized defaults, made sure date and time were correct. When my PC is on and booted the only LED that's on is the green one that states that, well, the PC is on. I performed the tests again, as usual I encountered the freezing on the benchmark.

HVruqBT.jpg

0xs72Dp.jpg

These are when the PC froze:

Moq2wLC.jpg

6ik887R.jpg

And here's the stability test:

gt6rM2s.jpg

I don't have another compatible RAM I can use at the moment, but 2 days ago (Saturday) I was over at a friend's house and he let me borrow his RAM (it was some Kingston HyperX RAM), I tried it and my PC still froze with it.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

So the new setting have made no difference to performance.   my recent findings.

The slight overclock of the CPU is normal for the MB due to the BIOS tuning, Default is standard, the amount of overclock is dependent on each CPU installed, you can apply "performance or Extreme".   

The wrong timing is present on many Asus boards when using the AMD FX 8350, even though the SPD may be 9-9-9-9-24 the BIOS decides it knows better.   Solution is to > enter BIOS, > set the timing manually and then then the voltage as is specified on the sticks, all other fields left on Auto. > Press F10 to save settings.

Please test again and post screenshots.

INFO.

https://docs.google....uning_Guide.pdf

https://www.google.c...am timing wrong

on ties page, the BIOS, > http://www.hitechleg...howall=&start=2

Videos, setting up RAM, > https://www.google.c...sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I note that the +12 volt rail varies and does show outside the + - 5% tolerances.  If no improvement with the new settings, Consider a new PSU, if then still a problem, different RAM. 

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Alright, I manually set the voltage, frequency and timings according to the SPD. Here are some screenshots of that:

fbMuUk6.jpg

hjLA2fm.jpg

hNcguYl.jpg

After doing this I attempted to do the benchmark again, but I still had my pc lock up, here's the pictures of that:

wZAJmH4.jpg

Db7SuIc.jpg

After that I got the sensor readings, latency benchmark and ran the stress test for 8 mins again:

8AFJXpR.jpg

L8TtPO4.jpg

bRnAl2w.jpg

I can't for the life of me even start to figure out what could be wrong specifically in the computer. Given that I also tried with some different RAM on Saturday, would this leave me with it being a power issue?

If so, how can I test whether it is the motherboard (possibly a faulty one?) or the PSU (it would be weird for it to fail all of a sudden on an upgraded system). Honestly, if it's the board the RMA takes like 20 days (not living in the United States) and buying a new PSU will be expensive, so both situations are basically just as inconvenient.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Correcting the RAM setting has improved the Memory latency and appears not to have caused further issues.

Yes, I think it is a power issue and I don't think there are any specific tests for the MB Memory controller available for the User and without a bench test of the PSU (under load) you can only go by the software test result, which don't look as they should.

If a new PSU results in the same problem, then a replacement board would need to be tried.  So though inconvenience, I would RMA the MB now. 

In which country are you?

Where would the board be returned to? 

How much longer on the RMA?  

You may get no better indication of the problem but, give the ASUS PC Diagnostics V1.3.4 for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 32bit & 64bit. a run, download from > https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/24/M5A99X_EVO_R20/41 

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I tried the diagnostics program and I passed all the tests I tried.

I actually live in Mexico (up north) and the motherboard will have to be sent to Mexico City (though I purchased it in Texas), there's the Asus service center in Mexico I believe. And well, I've had this issue since the day I put the board on the PC and I called Asus (one of the first things I did) but I wanted to troubleshoot some stuff first before RMAing because it really is inconvenient. They said the whole process would take around 20 days.

I'll be seeing this weekend what I can do, I'll probably get my old board back on and call again to proceed with the RMA.

I'll be glad to report back on this if that fixes it, I've had this issue for months and the info online that is actually helpful on these kind of issues is pretty scarce so it might help somebody in the future to speed up their troubleshooting process (hopefully not necessary though, because having this happen is pretty [bleep] inconvenient).

Thanks for the help though. I guess the most sensitive thing left to do right now is the RMA.

Edited by 8Bitterness, 23 April 2014 - 11:12 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Start the return process straight away as you will need a RMA number.

Just in case you are not aware, some info.

When reusing a HDD on a different MB, you will nerd to do a fresh install of the OS and drivers specified for that MB.   Make sure to remove all traces of the old TIM from both the CPU top and cooler base and apply new TIM before reassemble.

Please do keep the topic going, let us know if any problems reusing the older board and how the replacement one performs. 

This site is useful for sourcing/pricing parts, > http://pcpartpicker....520,630&sort=a9

Just been looking at parts from Mexico, looks like you get ripped off about the same as here in Australia.