Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Locks up/Freezes during gaming

• Please log in to reply

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Put my old motherboard back in (Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3L), I could run the power supply stress test just fine (left it only 2 minutes). For some reason the CPU temps are much hotter with this Phenom 2 955BE.

Will contact Asus tomorrow about to get the RMA process started.

Here's an image of how it would look when I get through the psu stress test:

I2xIQiN.jpg

EDIT:

I had some time left so I called Asus support here in Mexico, apparently the first time I called they made a mistake because the warranty is regional. Looks like I'll be having to send the motherboard to the United States. I will call next week to see how I should proceed with this.

Edited by 8Bitterness, 24 April 2014 - 06:35 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Inspect the socket on the MB before returning, look for any damage, take a couple of pics.   Ensure you correctly fit the protective socket cap. 

Any freezing/slowdown with the older parts?

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

The socket seemed fine, I didn't notice any damage on the board.

With these parts the performance is fine, just like it was before, no freezing or slowing down and really the only issue is how hot the CPU gets, and well, it's not as good as the 8350.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, those temps are hot, 62C is supposed be the top, CPU will start to throttle back close to 70c and should shutdown around 74C. 

The 955 was reported to  have faults with the sensor calibration and was not fixed until late models and completely fixed with the 965 so the readings may not be all that accurate.   leave the side off, use a desktop fan to blow into the case and see if the temps drop.  Cleaning the heatsink fan may help, or clearing off and replacing the TIM, but you probable don't want to mess about to much in case you end up with no working PC. 

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Okay I'm reviving this thread since I just had my motherboard shipped back.

I performed the RMA procedure and  had my motherboard replaced for a brand new one. I installed it and performed the usual PSU benchmark, to my surprise I encountered the same issue once more. I don't know what to do at this time. I'm thinking maybe replacing the PSU will help resolve the issue but I am unsure. Any recommendations?

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I would appreciate any step-by-step procedure I can make, at the moment I am absolutely desperate and have no clue what to do. My RAM is still running at 11-11-11-28 and 668 MHz.

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Sorry for the triple post, but now my computer will not turn on. I power the system and it does the post check I believe then suddenly the CPU_LED flashes red and it powers off. This occurred once I reset the machine. I guess I need help ASAP.

Cleared the cmos and the PC still turns off as soon as the CPU_LED flashes.

Okay, another edit. I just let the computer sit for a while didn't really do anything (because I was contacting Asus tech support, terrible service) and suddenly it turned back on. At the moment I have no clue in what to do and I don't really want to risk it turning off on me again. My first guess would be a PSU issue but I really don't know.

Edited by 8Bitterness, 21 July 2014 - 06:05 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.   I don't recall you mentioning the CPU LED flashing before you last post.

I have to ask.   Was all old TIM removed, new TIM applied,?   

Don't burn yourself doing this.   With the computer running, a temp monitoring utility running, press down gently on a corner of the cooler assemble, do the temps change for CPU shut down?   Wiggle the CPU fan wire and plug.

With the computer off.   Check the CPU fan wiring for breaks, especially at the plug end

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Well the temps didn't change when pushing some of the corners and I made pretty sure to clean off the cooler and CPU (this is the 8350 now) before applying new thermal paste. Right now with regular browsing my PC is at about 30 to 34 celsius, which is basically 6 degrees above room temperature so I think the cooling is working just fine. My GPU and Mobo also seem to be cool.

To further elaborate on the CPU LED, I never encountered this issue before, it just happened once I tried to turn on the PC with 4 of the CPU power pins on instead of 8 (supposed to work this way) then it didn't finish the post and the CPU LED would flash and the system would power down, it then kept happening when I returned to the 8pin configuration. But I left it there waiting for a bit of time (PC off) and then when I retried to turn it on it did boot successfully.

I have absolutely no clue as to what the issue could be right now but I'm leaning towards it being a power issue, I just can't seem to find something that guarantees it.

(PS: The mobo is definitely brand new, I think it's highly unlikely that the same fault could happen on 2 different motherboards.)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The PSU would be the next logical step to troubleshoot.

Without the required equipment, it is not possible for a home use to test PSU under load, only to see if it is live.

Ring around any local PC shops to see if they can test a PSU under load.

See if you can borrow a known working one with enough watts/amps.

RMA if still under warranty and is cost effective.

buy a new quality replacement.

I just can't seem to find something that guarantees it

There isn't one.   the least expensive option is a spare or borrowed swap.

Advertisements

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Well, I don't know any people with power supplies for me to test, but I'll ask around a couple shops I know. If they can't test my PSU under load then I will buy a new one and come back and tell you how it goes. Fingers crossed on this one, hah.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

As I know your choices may be a bit limited and you do have to buy a new one, please post a list so we can weed out the bad ones. 

Good luck.

8Bitterness

8Bitterness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Okay, well available at the moment I have these:

Cooler Master GX II 750W

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W

Cooler Master Silent Pro M850W

Corsair RM750

Thermaltake SP-750M

I guess that since they're all similarly priced here and since the price gap between the Silent Pro M850W and the Silent Pro M2 1000W is about the equivalent to 20 bucks I might get the 1000W one. But I'm unsure if that's the best choice.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Done some Pro reviews searches.   I tend to look at 4/5 sites as each can't review every PSU and they all have their own testing methodology, but none verie wildly when they do test the same unit.

Cooler Master GX II 750W  No.   > http://www.jonnyguru...Story6&reid=353

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W  Yes.  > http://www.guru3d.co...u_review,8.html

http://www.guru3d.co...u_review,8.html

Cooler Master Silent Pro M850W  Possible.  > http://www.hardwarec...roundup-22.html

http://www.techpower...M2_850W/10.html

Corsair RM750 No.  > http://www.hardocp.c.../9#.U89I0eOSzr4

Thermaltake SP-750M  No.   > http://www.techpower..._M_750W/10.html

Looks likde your first hunch was good.   Now you could upgrade to tri sli,  :whistling:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

How is the troubleshooting progressing?   Do you have to wait for a PSU t be shipped?