Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

URGENT: Is it a Malware, a Virus or something else - sounds fishy!

malware virus slow computer sound problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Hi Essexboy, I also just wanted to check something out with you about the first scan results I did. 

Can you explain what the following issue means and what I can do about it?

Error - 17/04/2014 13:24:26 | Computer Name = Frances-PC | Source = Microsoft-Windows-HAL | ID = 12
Description = The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system
 power transition.  Please check for updated firmware for your system.

thanks

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
That is related to the way older BIOS's handle memory when they come out of sleep/hibernation. So unless it is causing problems I would leave it, flashing the BIOS is fraught with problems

How is the computer behaving now ?

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Hi EssexBoy, I wanted to leave it a few days to get a feel if things had improved.

It seems to be working better, the video seems to be playing better with less sound problems, although it still seems slower than I would like e.g. connecting to internet, opening up programs etc.

It is still very noisy when it starts up when I switch it on, it didn't use to do that, it does get quieter during the day for some reason.

Any ideas about what that could be?

thanks

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

From looking at the logs is there anything to be concerned about?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

It is still very noisy when it starts up when I switch it on

There are two possible reasons for this, the first is low RAM causing a lot of disc swapping, or there is a hard drive problem.  I would be more concerned with the hard drive either failing or having some bad blocks.  To check that out we will need to run chkdsk initially  

There is a step by step guide here http://www.howtogeek...-windows-vista/

Once scheduled then reboot to run it

After it has completed is the startup any different ?

The system looks clear of malware or any other known blockages

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

ok thanks I'll run this and report back before you go away.

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I've also been noticing when I am trying to open eg. email, or other windows, often the screen goes white and it says that the prog isn't responding, if I wait a while eventually that clears.

Also I mentioned earlier about the message I often get about needing to reboot as the system is running at full capacity or "high usage". Do you think that all these things are hard drive or ram related? thanks

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Very probably they are all related, an extra 2Gb of RAM would not come amiss and may help

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Hi, ok I've completed the chkdsk scan for the C: drive only, I haven't checked the partioned drive though. On start up it is considerably quieter, although still a little noisy. So hopefully that has helped and will continue to do so.

In terms of getting more RAM can that be easily installed? Can I do that or would I need an expert? Any rough ideas of costs, and best places to learn to do it if necessary?

Is there anything I can do to speed up the processing or help with the RAM that I have?

thanks Essexboy for your help, you have put my mind at rest that my computer is basically ok.

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Oh yes, I didn't get any report from the chkdsk so I'm not sure what the result was.

If RAM or my hard drive may be an issue:

1. How to I check if I am low on RAM?
2. How can I further check if my HD is failing or has some bad blocks, so I am aware if it might suddenly crash and preven that?

thanks

Edited by Feather24, 15 May 2014 - 12:46 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

For RAM then go to Crucial  and run the small system scanner programme

This will let you know how much RAM your system can take, what type and how much

Once the scanner has completed click memory and it will show a page similar to this

[attachment=70587:Capture.JPG]

Then on this page it will show you how easy it is to fit

If you have any questions then do not hesitate to ask

Subject to no further problems   :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems 

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..

The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

delfix.JPG

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

CryptoPrevent.JPG

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide  Best security practices Keep safe  :wave:

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
thanks for all your help, I'll need to do these suggestions tomorrow - I know you are away - if I come across any problems while you are away who is the next best person to speak to in your absence?

thanks again, have a wonderful time whatever you are up to :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

I would suggest that if it is related to RAM etc... Then place a thread in the hardware forum and a Tech will pick it up

Now off to have a few jars :)

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Ok, thanks for that ref, I now notice that when playing videos I'm still getting some break up in the sound still, not as bad as it was but still there.

Perhaps when you are back you can let me know what is best to do with this.

thanks

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Is it just the sound or does the video stutter as well ?