Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a graphics card

computer gpu videocard video card a6-3500 ga-a55m-ds2

• Please log in to reply

Arenas

Arenas

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I am buying a video card for my PC, my pc has:

AMD a6-3500 apu with radeon 6530 as IG ~ (3cpu) 2.1 ghz

4gb ram

Gigabyte Ga-a55m-ds2 as motherboard

The store I bought this is suggesting to have crossfireX and buy 6000 series, but there were some negative reviews about the crossfire

Can you please suggest me some other options?

Can I use 7000 series with this motherboard?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

:welcome:   Arenas

Before we can suggest a video card we need to know the brand and model name or number of the PSU and computer case, if your case is a no name brand what size is it as in full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor) video cards have minimum power requirements + they can be quite large.

If you also let us know your maximum budget + the country where you will make the purchase we can take a look for you.

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for the reply! I have a Powerlogic V17 case (midtower) with a Powerlogic ATX-600w PSU.

My budget would be around 3500php ( I am from the philippines ) that would be around 80 bucks

I look in the websites:

www.pcx.com.ph

www.pcgilmore.com.ph

www.gigahertz.com.ph

for GPU products in our country

Thanks you very much for assistance!

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Well my PSU is a local brand and they're telling me to get a more reliable one, maybe I should stick with that first.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 is offline i will chip in.

unfortunately the PSU is very low quality and information regarding the specification are almost nil.   You can see a picture at the first link.

If yours is the basic model it may not have a PCI-E connection for a graphics card. second link, a 6 pin and an 8 pin.

If you are OK with looking inside the case? let us know if you do have the right plug. 

http://www.tipidpc.c...php?iid=9858492

https://www.google.c...e-beast;600;359

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Yes It does not have a connection like that, I am planning to upgrade everything now and start with the PSU. 

Is this budget PSU do well?

http://pcx.com.ph/co...vs550-550w.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Arenas

You have post this question on at least one other forum where you have received some bad advice;

i would also suggest another 4gb ram

You'll first have to upgrade your processor

I'd suggest you upgrade to an Athlon processor too then.

It is not good practice to follow the guidance of more than one forum as it has the potential to cause confusion and for things to go wrong, decide which forum you wish to stick with and as a courtesy notify any other forum/s that you no longer require assistance.

As an asides Arenas, if you have a 64-bit OS such as Windows 7 etc then adding a second 4GB stick would be a good suggestion, if however you have a 32-bit OS such as XP or Vista etc then it would be a waste as the OS would not recognise it.

Thanks for the additional guidance iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Oops sorry. I thought about taking different suggestions. But the main problem is my PSU it does not have the PCI-E connectors so I thought about solving that problem first.

I'm sorry about the multiple forum posts, I will terminate my other posts now.

Anyway I still don't know what to do next to improve my PC. I strolled around the store (pcx.com.ph) and the availabe GPU for crossfire ( the highest possible ) is 6570hd I don't know if that would make that much change or I really need to upgrade everything.

But now I maybe sticking into buying a good powersupply if that would be your suggestion.

I have windows 7 ultimate 32-bit for that case.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

No harm done and thank you for understanding  :thumbsup:

1: We now know that your OS is 32-bit which rules out adding a second 4GB stick, see attachment.

2: You are aware that a PSU upgrade is required - you must however determine which add on video card you will be fitting before purchasing the PSU, this to ensure that you have adequate power (includings amperage) on the +12V rail + to make sure that you do not spend more than you need on a PSU that is way more than what you need, see my canned text below to help with selecting a PSU;

Please note that there is one thing that is possibly worse than using a known poor quality brand of PSU and that is using one that is unheard of, for brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the attached links http://www.10stripe.com/featured/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208143

PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

Quality brands include Antec, Corsair, EVGA, OCZ and Seasonic.

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I have computed the wattage in newegg,they reccomend 215W including a 6570, I clicked on ( Find PSUs) but no results. What would then be the wattage of PSUs i should take a look? Lets say i would later on buy some upgrades.

Would 6570HD increase performance? I cannot find the specific 12v rail amp required for it..

Advertisements

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Oh wait I found a store selling 6670HD, it's 244 now on the calculator

Edited by Arenas, 20 April 2014 - 10:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Do you have a link for us so we can see the cards details, the HD 6670 typically requires a PSU with a minimum 400W output, an example here

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  thank you for understanding.

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

http://www.villman.c...r_Radeon_HD6670

There. Is this the best possible card my system can get?

Yes 400w minimum 

Edited by Arenas, 20 April 2014 - 12:36 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

I havn`t been able to find anything better for around the same price and spec, the nearest that I get is here

Arenas

Arenas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I can work on that, will that improve my pc dramatically?, btw I am buying a PSU today and I need help. :) Thanks a lot for sticking around for me.