Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High voltages on +12v rail

• Please log in to reply

MarcoThaDon

MarcoThaDon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, recently my system monitoring program notified my of high voltages on the +12v rail of my PSU...It will fluctuate to 12.8v all the way to 13.2v...It will then notify me that it is going past the voltage threshold of 10%. Is this a warning of my PSU giving way or is this soemthing I shouldnt worry about?

I just got this PSU with my sonata case, so I'm reluctant to think it could be my PSU as the root of my problems. My PSU is an Antec 380w TruePower. I don't have much attached to it, just a AMD 64 3500+, 200GB HD, and 2 optical drives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a screenshot of what I get.

Attached Thumbnails

• voltages.JPG

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
That is something to worry about, although Antec makes good psu's it still could be bad.

If you have a volt meter digital is best heres how to check to be sure it ain't a bad software read witch I doubt.

With the computer running touch the red probe of the volte meter to the yellow wirer on one of the spare 4 pin molex connectors and the black probe to the black wirer

If the voltages are indeed that high you should replace. Spec on the 12v rail is plus or minus 5% of 12V witch is a range of 11.4V to 12.6V.

You could also check the voltages in bios to see if they are the same but it ain't as conclusive as a volt meter

BTW good brand of beer

Rick

Edited by Doby, 09 June 2005 - 07:31 PM.