Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade advice requested!

Best Answer phillpower2 , 29 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

If the card at the attached link will fit in your case you are all good, Gigabyte 256 - bit R9 270 Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Have a read of the thread here

Advertisements

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Thanks for the link, it made for an interesting read. I gathered from it that a modern AMD card is, well, off the cards! It would seem my choice has been narrowed down to an Nvidia card that runs at less than 110 watts, am I correct?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If you were to go for an add on video card that did not require a supplementary power dongle (or two with some cards) it would have to require a lot less than 110W I`m afraid.

The 460W non proprietary Dell PSU is again a limiting factor, if you had a PSU that was powerful enough and it had the appropriate power connectors you could consider the GTX 560Ti, here is a used one and here is a new one, full card specs here You would also need to confirm that you have enough room inside your case.

I`m off to see if I can find a PSU upgrade for you.

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

But I do have a supplementary power dongle- a 6-pin one; it's plugged into my 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT as we speak. On the manufacturer's website they list it as running at 105W (I know this is a bit of a push for the PSU).

That GTX 560Ti looks like a beauty, and it would indeed fit in the case. Unfortunately it needs two 6-pin connectors; would this PSU work: http://www.ebay.com/...-/161264906720?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I have just spent more than an hour trying to find a suitable PSU upgrade, in short there is none, the 600W version of the PSU is not compatible with your MB as it has an 8 pin ATX CPU power connector, this is often not a problem as it can sometimes be gotten round by only plugging in 4 of the connectors and having the other 4 unconnected, apparently you cannot do this with your MB as there is a capacitor in the way, the PSU at your link is similar to what I have looked at, you should also consider the cost of the shipping from the USA, I have found one here in the UK but for what is being asked for it you could actually buy a new PSU + a new case to put it in, see here

There is apparently an adapter cable that you can buy that plugs into the 8 pin adapter which converts it to a 4 pin, I will see if I can find one and post back.

If a PSU only has one PCI-E 6 pin adapter but your card needs two you can buy a 4 pin molex to 6 pin PCI-E adapter, I will also find one of them for you. 

** Please also note that the PSU at my link is advertised as 650W but the picture shows that the PSU output will not exceed 500W on the +12V rail, please check anything that you may buy very carefully first.

8 pin female ATX to 4 pin male ATX power supply adapter

X2 female Molex to PCI-E 6 pin add on video card adapter

Various ATX power connection information for reference. 

Edited by phillpower2, 22 April 2014 - 08:35 AM.
Links added.

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Thanks so much for taking up your time to help me; I really appreciate it! I take pride in getting the most out of things; always try to fix/ upgrade things before throwing them away as is the norm in our disposable culture :P

I opened up the case and I can confirm that there is indeed a something that would get in the way of an 8 pin CPU power connector. Found an 8pin to 4pin adapter: http://www.ebay.co.u...&ff14=95&ff19=0

Also found some SATA to 6pin adapters, should a PSU have a SATA connection surplus: http://www.ebay.co.u...m-/151190285603

Thanks for the heads up RE the maximum output... it seems that it would still be a squeeze to run the GTX 560Ti even with the new PSU?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Was there something wrong with the adapters that I suggested, both are less expensive than the two that you link to (+ 1 is in euros).

The PSU at my link is 650W, I was just letting you know that the +12V rails are shown not to exceed 500W, sorry for the confusion.

A less expensive 650W PSU here, I would send the seller a question asking them the dimensions of the PSU to make sure that it will fit in your case.

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Not at all; I didn't see the edit in which you included the adapter links until after I had posted my response. I will be going with what you found as they are indeed cheaper :)

After reading the PSU label from your link more carefully I now see that it is the combined +12V rails that will not exceed 500W (I was in a bit of a rush to get ready for work! :P )

That 650W PSU that you linked looks like a good candidate. I will ask the seller for the dimensions. (At worst I could live with the PSU not fitting perfectly. As long as the power gets to where it's needed :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It is important that the PSU fits correctly so that it is properly earthed/grounded and so that there is no risk of cables becoming detached.

Please don't risk anything that is not 100% safe, it is not worth it to you or anyone else  :no:

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Fair enough,  I took off my PSU to compare it against the picture and the dimensions are an exact match. (This was after unsuccessfully attempting to contact the seller: " Unfortunately, due to the high number of emails this seller receives, they aren't able to respond to your specific question right now...")

​I browsed a few other adverts for the same PSU, and after a while I noticed that the CPU power cable appears to have a 10pin CPU connector, not an 8pin one:http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00C79DDYM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Genuine-Dell-XPS-600-650W-N650P-00-NPS-650AB-D-Power-Supply-Working-US-/271457329234

(4th picture)

Edited by Locla, 23 April 2014 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Never seen a 10 pin connection before tbh.

There is an adapter that you can buy that converts a molex connector to a P4 connector, see here

This only if the PSU is compatible in every other way.

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

The 10 pin connection is labelled as 'P2' in the 4th picture of the second link in my last reply, but I could be confusing myself.

I'm gonna buy the PSU that you linked; in a couple days when I have time off work to double check it. 

I'll report back; thank you so much for your help man.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Keep us posted  :thumbsup:

Locla

Locla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Well hello again!

PSU arrived today; now installed and operational :D

I've just been paid so I can up my GPU budget to 150. Is the Nvidia GeForce 560Ti still the best bet, do you think?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Locla

Pleased to hear that the PSU swap went ok and well done on your behalf  :thumbsup:

Can you run GPU-Z and post a screenshot so that we can see what PCI-E revision is detected, details here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.