Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Your Folder Can't Be Shared"

homegroup; share directory

• Please log in to reply

BluePoet

BluePoet

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

I have successfully shared at least one directory with my wife's computer (my homegroup) in the past, but when trying to share another, I can't the generic message "Your Folder Can't Be Shared."  There is no further explanation.  I am not running any VM software.  I am on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate.

I thought that maybe it was an issue with my virus protection (Kaspersky), but I recently uninstalled it in order to upgrade it.  While it was uninstalled, I again tried to share the directory and got the same message.  Every thread I have seen on-line seems to be from someone with VM software, but as I said, I am not running any.  Does anyone know how to fix this annoying problem?

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

You probably saw this Technet string because they mention the VM Network issue but they also talk about an alternate method for creating the share. Have you tried doing it this way?

"I had similar error due to my 'right-clicking' the folder I desired to 'share' on a Windows 7 Pro box.  Found that I instead had to utlize:

'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\ComputerManagement'

Then, 'SystemTools\SharedFolders\Shares' and create a 'New Share'.  Configured with the wizard and all done.  Silly me."

BluePoet

BluePoet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I tried all of the above, and still no joy.  Looks like I will have to do a clean Windows install if I ever want to share any new directory.

BluePoet

BluePoet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I waited a long time to do anything about my problem, not wanting to reinstall Windows, and instead putting everything I sought to transfer in one directory previously shared and still working.  Yesterday, that one stopped working, too.  I was on the verge of a clean install, but as a last-ditch effort, I ran a program called tweaking.com-Windows.  It put me through a chkdsk, which didn't find much, but then after backing up my registry, I had it reset my file permissions.  Voila!  Problem solved (for some reason).

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You mean tweaking.com's Windows Repair All-In-One I think.

Agree it's a good and useful program.