Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell All-in-One Printer 944 Problem (Resolved)

Dell Printer

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Our Dell All-in-one Photo Printer 944 developed problems (the cartridge kept stalling), so I uninstalled the printer and attempted to reinstall from the original CD. The first installation screen comes up, but when I click on the option for personal installation (as opposed to network) the screen disappears and nothing happens. I tried copying all the files from the CD onto the desktop, but the same happens when I try to install from there. If I try to install using the 'Found New Hardware Wizard', it tells me there was a problem installing.

I found a copy of the download files for my printer on download.com and tried to use that to install the printer. But something strange is going on here..... I got the same message that I got once before in my earlier attempts, telling me that several of the dll files cannot be copied to the destination directory. The first of these files is dlcdDR5C.DLL. I have found this file (and at least one of the other files mentioned as not being able to be copied) in C:\dell\drivers\R147270\drivers\Win_XP2K\i386

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 22 April 2014 - 09:46 AM.

Advertisements

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Was your uninstall complete with reboot afterwards and manual check for it's remains on hard drive and in registry? 

I'd try to look for what processes are blocking the copying of your .dlls

How about some older driver?

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks for your reply and for helping.

I rebooted after uninstalling. I also ran a program called DellXpClean which is supposed to get rid of everything. I wouldn't know how to manually check the registry files myself though.

Not sure what you mean about the older driver.

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Channeal

Download and save to the desktop the driver and utilities package from here

Create a new system restore point.

Uninstall all of the present Dell printer drivers and utilities software + if you have ever previously used any other printer and there is software for that present uninstall that as well.

Shut down the computer and disconnect the USB cable.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode and install the previously saved printer software following the steps below, only connect the USB cable for the printer when you see an on screen message asking you to do so;

Installation instructions

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for G9Aweb32944EN.exe

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
window appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled G9Aweb32944EN.exe.
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\944. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3.The Self-Extractor window appears.
4.Click OK.
5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
window is still open, close it.
6.Click the Start button and then click Run.
7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\944 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

If the software installs correctly, restart the computer as normal and test the printer, if all is ok create a new restore point and you are done.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi Phillpower2,

I have done everything you said..... but the printer still refuses to install. It brings up the initial sctreen, bur when I click on the Personal Installation option, everything disappears and nothing further happens. I have tried so many times, but it is always the same......

Maybe my computer has some problem dealing with with vbs files?

Chris

Edited by Channeal, 24 April 2014 - 07:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Channeal

As an outside chance please try using a system restore point that is before the issue first became apparent;

How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state

To use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state, follow these steps:
  1. Log on to Windows as an administrator.
  2. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

2731526.png
  3. On the Welcome to System Restore page, click to select the Restore my computer to an earlier time option, and then click Next. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

2731529.png
  4. On the Select a Restore Point page, click the most recent system restore point in the On this list, click a restore point list, and then click Next.

2683283.jpg
    Note A System Restore message may appear that lists configuration changes that System Restore will make. ClickOK. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

2731530.png
  5. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, click Next. System Restore restores the previous Windows XP configuration, and then restarts the computer.
  6. Log on to the computer as an administrator. Then, click OK on the System Restore Restoration Complete page. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

2425659.png
If you successfully restored your computer to a previous state and the computer runs as expected, you are finished.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again!

Okay, I did the system restore. I wasn't sure when the problem first started, so I restored to the 8th April.

Well, the good news is that the printer is now showing as being installed..... but the bad news is that it won't actually print anything! Now I am getting the message that 'Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close'!

Some things you need to know...... When the system restore finished, I got a message to say that it had been necessary to rename some files (mostly by adding a (2) or other number to the original name). From a quick look through the list it briefly gave me, I thought that they were most likely files associated with the printer.... so I have now had a quick scout around via Windows Explorer and here is what I found: -

1) I have the new drivers etc that you told me to download still present in the now renamed C:\dell\drivers\944(2).
I also now have another lot of files located in C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer

2) I found my way into C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool. There are 4 files in there: drivers, PRINTERS (this file is actually empty though), prtprocs and XPSEP.

The drivers file contains a file called w32x86 and this in turn contains a file called dell_photo_aio_print0e85 and a dell_photo_aio_print0e85(2). I can click on the first one and look at its contents, but the (2) version says access is denied. The one I can get into contains several dll files including dlcdPP5C.DLL. None of the files here are duplicated or renamed.

The prtprocs file contains another w32x86 file which in turn contains another dlcdPP5C.DLL file. Rather interestingly though, there are no less than 24 other versions of this same file.... now numbered from dlcdPP5C(02).DLL through to dlcdPP5C(25).DLL!

I think that is all I can tell you for now. I hope you are able to make some sense out of the above information!

Cheers,
Chris

Edited by Channeal, 26 April 2014 - 08:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Channeal

Apologies for the delay, I either missed or did not receive notification of your last reply, the error message may be caused by the previously saved drivers, repetitive but necessary Im afraid,  as per the steps in my reply #4 but please also create a new restore point now;

Download and save to the desktop the driver and utilities package from here

Create a new system restore point.

Uninstall all of the present Dell printer drivers and utilities software + if you have ever previously used any other printer and there is software for that present uninstall that as well.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode and install the previously saved printer software following the steps below, only connect the USB cable for the printer when you see an on screen message asking you to do so;

Download

window appears.

Install

4.Click OK.

If the software installs correctly, restart the computer as normal and test the printer, if all is ok create a new restore point and you are done.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi there.... and thanks for your message.

With regard to you not getting notification of my new messages, there seems to be a problem here as I am no longer getting emails when you post a reply. I checked my settings and it seems that I should still be getting them, but I am not.

Please could you just clarify your instructions for me: -

I have created a new restore point, downloaded G9Aweb32944EN.exe to the desktop and uninstalled the drivers in

C:\dell\drivers\944(2)

I assume you also want me to delete all the files which the system restore just put back on here in C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer?

Do you want me to leave all the files in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool untouched? I only ask this because I was really expecting you to say that the duplicated files in there would be certain to cause problems for the printer.

Cheers,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Channeal

Is this topic showing in your list of content which can be found in your profile.

Please only uninstall the drivers and associated software by way of the Device Manager, at present do not delete anything directly from the HDD.

Create a new folder on the desktop, rename it Dell AIO and then  place the latest drivers that you have just saved into the new folder and then follow the shortened steps below please.

Download

window appears.

Install

4.Click OK.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again!

I found out what happened to my notification emails! Because the new topic has the name 'Dell' in it, the emails are going straight into my 'Dell' folder! I never thought of that before!!!! :laughing:

I followed your instructions......

I went into Device Manager and deleted the printer driver there.

I got a bit confused by you telling me to open a folder called 'Dell AIO' on the desktop..... but I put the G9Aweb32944EN.exe file in there. Then I got a bit unsure about whether this was what you wanted..... but anyway, that is what I did.

I then turned the computer off and disconnected the cable. I restarted in safe mode and then proceeded as on previous attempts. When I tried to reinstall, once again nothing happened - just as it failed to do before.

When I go back into device manager now, the printer isn't showing up (in fact, the heading it was under before - Imaging Devices or something similar - is no longer there at all). If I go into Control Panel and then Printers and Faxes though, I was surprised to find that the printer is still showing up...... whereas before the system restore I do not think it was.

Btw, I have no sound at all on here now as the system restore obviously undid the changes..... but I don't want to start dealing with that until the printer is sorted out!

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 27 April 2014 - 01:20 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

I restarted in safe mode and then proceeded as on previous attempts. When I tried to reinstall, once again nothing happened - just as it failed to do before.

Sorry but what do you mean by nothing happened as in do you mean that no drivers or software were installed or did the drivers and software install but the printer still does not work - if the drivers and software installed, did you get an on screen message prompting you to connect the USB cable.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Oh sorry!

When I got to this step, all the files in C:\dell\drivers\944 came up. I clicked on the setup launcher and then the first installation screen came up: -

printerinstall.JPG

When I tried to click on the Personal Installation option, nothing at all happened..... and the set-up screen disappeared! Just the same as happened the very first time I tried to reinstall the printer - and at every attempt since.

I hope this is clearer now. Sorry for not explaining properly before.

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 27 April 2014 - 02:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Thanks for clarifying  :thumbsup:

Things to try,have the USB connected while installing the driver package and booting into Windows as you normally would and then install the drivers.

Do you have the Dell Download Manager installed, details here

Going offline shortly as I have an early start tomorrow, sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again!

Trying to install with the USB connected did not seem to have any effect, aside from telling me that Windows had found new hardware.

I had a few problems trying to use Dell Downloads...... I never realised that the printer has its own service tag number and that I needed to put that in! I figured it out eventually though! The file that it led me to is actually G9Aweb64944EN.exe whereas the version you gave me was G9Aweb32944EN.exe (I think the difference is due to the fact for some strange reason there are different versions for the U.S. and the U.K. - and I am in the U.K.).

Anyway, I had no more success with the new version (which installed to c:\drivers\printer) - although the difference this time was that I got a Microsoft VBScript runtime error (Code 800A004C) when I clicked on the VBScript file: dlcdEN

I am close to giving up on this stupid machine!

Bye for now,
Chris.

PS I had a look at Windows Updates. Do you think it might be any good to try and install either of these: -

windowsupdates.JPG

Edited by Channeal, 28 April 2014 - 02:38 PM.