Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell All-in-One Printer 944 Problem (Resolved)

Dell Printer

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Thanks for the update Channeal  :thumbsup:

It will do no harm to install the two suggested updates but as per usual please create a new restore point first.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Thanks for your reply,

I managed to install one of the updates. The printer now appears under device manager, but not in 'Printers and Faxes'.  And - of course - nothing will print!

I tried the add new hardware wizard again. It seemed to be going very well, copying files etc. Right at the end though, I got this: -

cannot install this hardware.JPG

When I go into device manager now, it tells me the following drivers are installed: -

printer driver file details.JPG

Tho only other thing I can tell you is that when I was in device manager I saw that - along with the expected exclamation marks besides the printer and also Creative SB - when I clicked on 'show hidden devices', there are also exclamation marks by 'Parport' and 'Serial'. I have no idea what that means, but am telling you in case it has any significence for the printer.

If none of the above is any use....... do you think it is now time for me to give up and take this infernal machine into a shop to let somebody else have a bit of fun with it? :killcomp:

We were thinking of upgrading to a new operating system, but am not sure it would be worth doing on such an old computer.

Cheers,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Channeal

Dell drivers are notorious for being difficult to install and so much so that after a fresh install of the OS or any major change of the hardware the drivers have to be reinstalled in a set order so as to avoid issues, see here

Have you tried logging on as Administrator and installing the update, it may even be worth a try at installing the printer that way!

To see if your computer can run Windows 8.1 run the upgrade advisor, I suggest 8.1 so as to try and avoid upgrading to W7 only to find that you then need to upgrade to W8.1 due to support for 7 being withdrawn by MS, it does make sense for you to upgrade from XP if you are able to and you intend keeping the same computer, this due to the risk of malware attack if the computer is used online, Windows Upgrade Advisor

Did I ever ask if you have an XP installation disk for your computer.

'Parport' and 'Serial'

Parallel and Serial ports are not commonly used with the advent of the USB port and will not be affecting your USB printer.

Got to head off out now but will be back between 5 and 6pm.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

I have spent so long now in trying to fix this printer..... but nothing ever seems to work.

What do you think about restoring to the 8th April again, i.e. when the printer was on here..... but then trying to uninstall it via an uninstaller program to clean everything up? I have used Perfect Uninstaller in the past. I could always go back to April 8th a 3rd time if that didn't work: that date seems to be becomimg my Groundhog Day!

Did I ever ask if you have an XP installation disk for your computer.

Sorry, that question made me smile....... I seem to have come full circle back to the beginning here! In message #23 of the previous thread, Godawgs wanted me to use my disk (yes, I do have one!) when running scannow to check whether there were any errors, due to the fact that the computer was doing some strange things like taking ages to start up and hanging on the wallpaper-only screen during start-up. The result of attempting the scan was: -

When I attempted to run the System File Checker, I got the message telling me to insert my Windows XP Professional CD Rom. Here's the thing.... when we got this computer, it came without a disc but we requested (and got sent) one later. So, I got out my 'Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005' disc and put it into the CD Rom - only to be told that it was the wrong disc! Then I realised that when we had the new hard drive put in last year the guy in the shop didn't take our CD, but presumably used his own. It wouldn't let me proceed any further without the correct CD.

I subsequently contacted the computer shop about this, but they told me: -

Us using our own discs should make no odds to your PC – any disc will work on any system; then part that makes it unique is the license code affixed to your machine.

I too have been faced with similar problems in the past when running SFC scans, where it will not accept the disc, when it is more than clearly the correct version of Windows. Over time we have just put this down to a bug within XP that is sometimes present. As I’m sure you are aware, support for windows XP is stopping in the next couple of weeks, as it has come to the end of its existence. Over time, and since Vista, 7, and 8 operating systems have come out, it has become harder and harder to make a PC work from scratch with Windows XP.

Godawgs then got me to copy some registry files to the desktop and we tried to run the scan from there, but I was still asked to insert the disk. The changes he made are still on here - he said he would help me clean up after you have finished helping me. Sorry, I assumed you knew about all this....... I guess that is the downside of having had two different people helping me!

I am beginning to get the idea that nothing at all ever works on this computer!!!!!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Channeal, 30 April 2014 - 04:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Have you tried logging on as Administrator and installing the update, it may even be worth a try at installing the printer that way!

So this was tried but did not work.

What do you think about restoring to the 8th April again, i.e. when the printer was on here..... but then trying to uninstall it via an uninstaller program to clean everything up? I have used Perfect Uninstaller in the past. I could always go back to April 8th a 3rd time if that didn't work: that date seems to be becomimg my Groundhog Day!

Before you do this can you provide an updated Speccy url with the computer exactly as it is at the moment.

Sorry, that question made me smile....... I seem to have come full circle back to the beginning here! In message #23 of the previous thread, Godawgs wanted me to use my disk (yes, I do have one!) when running scannow to check whether there were any errors, due to the fact that the computer was doing some strange things like taking ages to start up and hanging on the wallpaper-only screen during start-up. 

It was easier to ask the question rather than read back through your malware topic  ;)

I guess that is the downside of having had two different people helping me!

Who are also helping a multitude of other people at the same time  :unsure:

I am beginning to get the idea that nothing at all ever works on this computer!!!!!

The printer and computer are potentially 8 - 9 years old and Windows XP 12 years old (and retired) if these are the first major problems that you have had then you have done well.

Did you run the Windows Upgrade Advisor.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

First of all, I am really sorry if anything I said in my previous posting gave you the impression that I was in any way complaining about either you or Godawgs. You guys here all do a wonderful job - and I am always very mindful of the fact that you are helping lots of other people at the same time. When I made my remark about the problems of having 2 people helping me, I was thinking more about my own inadequacies in so far as my memory is not so good now I am in my sixties and it is hard to remember who I told what to! In addition, I was not too sure what Godawgs had told you when you took over the onerous task of assisting me! There is no way though that I would expect you to have looked through the many pages of previous messages between me and Godawgs!

I did find it amusing that things had come full circle and that you also were wanting me to try to check if all the Windows files were okay, but there was no criticism of you implied in that. It was probanly due more to my weird sense of humour. (I don't know if you are from the U.S. but if you are, Americans always seem to find British humour weird!)

Apologies again.... I was already aware that in my last message I had not fully dealt with all the points from your previous post. I had a really bad day on here on Tuesday.... I spent too many hours trying to fix this thing and in the end was very stressed about not getting anywhere. I am not in the best of health and I am really trying to reduce the stress in my life - so it isn't good if this starts to stress me out. Although I have very limited technical knowledge, I generally enjoy playing around with this stuff. This is really beginning to get to me now though.... it doesn't seem logical to me that I cannot just put the CD in and reinstall the printer! I had assumed that you could always just put a CD in and reinstall programs without any problems; now I know different though.......

Yes, I have tried (and previously also) to install logged into Safe Mode/ Administrator. The CD still doesn't work that way and does the same as always, i.e. goes no further than the first installation screen. Using the Found New Hardware wizard, it did begin to copy files but fell down right at the end. I got a new message this time: the RPC Server is Not available. I do not remember getting that one before!

I did manage to install the scanner yesterday! The scanner comes up as a separate 'Found New Hardware' item and I am not sure I even tried to install it before, but this time it actually did install. I found out something I had always suspected might be the case though...... just installing the drivers does not reinstall the Dell All-IN-One Center: -

To install the extra non-Dell (3rd party) software (such as the optical character reader or OCR etc.) that came with your printer, the only place to get it is from the Compact Disc or DVD that came with the printer. These non-Dell software are licensed and can not be put on our web site. As an alternate there is a free (shareware) version of an OCR available for download titled Simple OCR

We really liked the original software - so we really want to either find a way to get the CD working, or to do another system restore back to a time when the printer was installed and somehow fix it so it works! Alternatively, we could buy a new printer - but would we have the same problems with that, I wonder?

Sometimes when attempting to install the printer drivers via the Found New Hardware Wizard, it has told me that an error occurred while copying the files..... but by trying to bypass them 1-by-1, I got a long list of files which could not be copied. I wrote the names of some of these files down..... and if I explore the CD, they are there okay.

Taking an expample of one such file dlcdHPEP.DLL.... if I search the computer for it, it is already there in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\dell_photo_aio_print0e85. I mentioned the various assortment of files in the spool folder to you before.... is there no way that some of them can be deleted? I am wondering if the CD cannot install them because they are already present. Just trying to guess.... but there must be a reason why they cannot be installed!

I was trying to Google whether it is possible to clean up the spooler files. I found details of a tool called cleanspl.exe and first of all this looked a great idea and I wanted to try it.... but then I read that it can remove the USB Print Monitor. So, maybe not such a good idea?

Another thing I was thinking about (and I suspect you have too, by the fact that you mentioned trying to install as Administrator) was the question of Permissions etc. I only know about this because, since the new hard drive was installed, there has been a problem with accessing photo files. The problem seems to be that if any photo files are moved, we cannot then access them. After much googling for info, I found out how to change permissions on the individual files. I did not know how to stop it happening again though.

I did look at the link you gave to check whether we can install Windows 8: most things were compatible, but not all. I remember one of these was that we might have to install something else (cannot remember exactly what!) to make the CD player work. This kind of put me off! To be honest, I don't really like the idea of installing a new operating system on a computer not really designed for it. I know there are problems with the latest system anyway (and actually Godawgs told me to get Windows 7 instead!) and to me it seems crazy to install it on an old computer. I would really like to keep this old computer (and yes, it has been a brilliant computer so far) until my husband agrees that we can buy a new one! Meanwhile, I may well end up taking it back into the computer shop, to see if they have any more luck at sorting the problems.

Oops..... nearly forgot the Speccy URL. I just noticed it appears to be showing that both the printer and the scanner are on here! If the printer is here, then I would like to know where it is! (Could it be because the USB cable is connected at the moment?)

http://speccy.pirifo...1DnQOuJaDPOADIC

Sorry this has been so long!
Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 01 May 2014 - 08:40 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

2ND MESSAGE

I was just reading through the message I posted a short while ago and realised that some of it did not make sense to me (and if it doesn't make sense to me, what chance do you have?).

On the one hand, I was saying that it told me the files couldn't be copied.... whilst on the other, I was saying that they were being copied but fell down at the end..... So, I went back and checked again and will now clarify: -

When I try to use the Found New Hardware Wizard whilst logged in as administrator (inserting the CD as well) it now starts copying the files okay (they all seem to be going to System 32). At the end I am told about the RPC Server error. Exactly the same thing happens when I use the same process logged into Windows normally, but this time I just get told access is denied.

Now.... why is it that I was previously getting the messages that it couldn't copy the files? I actually wrote the details of this in a draft message to you on Tuesday (the day I was so stressed!) but never sent it. Why the difference beween then and now?

In my earlier message I mentioned the possible issue with Permissions. I was not sure if I should do it or not..... but yesterday I went into Windows Explorer and looked again at the Spooler files in System 32 and tried to give User full permissions. Do you think that is what brought about the changes when I attempt to use the Add New Hardware wizard?

Cheers,

Chris.

PS No, I must be mistaken.... as in message #17  above I got the 'Access is Denied' message too. Am not sure now when it was it told me it couldn't copy the files at all! Am very confused now!!!!! Perhaps it was when I was trying to install the new drivers from the Dell site. Maybe I will try them again later...... I cannot do it again now as I am going out (and need a rest from all this, as my head is spinning and I am getting more and more

confused!) :headhurt:

UPDATE

Nope...... I tried to load the drivers from the Dell site and it wasn't doing that which told me the files couldn't be copied. So, whatever it was, it is at least telling me now that it is actually loading the files - even if it cannot finish! A small bit of progress, perhaps!

It tells me that it is attempting to load the files into System 32 - which is not where we tried to put the new Dell drivers. I think the exact location is probably

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\dell_photo_aio_print0e85 (see Message #7)

I couldn't see the whole file name, but I saw System 32 and then the dell photo aio bit.

Edited by Channeal, 01 May 2014 - 04:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Channeal,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, I have not been around since Thursday so had no access to a computer  :mellow:

Thank you for the comprehensive updates  :thumbsup:

No need for any apology, I like yourself am a Brit, unfortunately for me I don`t have a thick skin and can sometimes take a sleight when there was none intended (I am very self critical btw  :whistling: ) .

Anyhow to the task at hand, I asked for the Speccy report to see what was picked up printer wise, the Dell information is all there so there should not be an issue, I did note that the Dell printer is not set as the default printer, OneNote is, can you make the Dell the default printer please and see if it will then print.

Send To OneNote 2007 (Default Printer)
Printer Port: Send To Microsoft OneNote Port:
Print Processor: OneNotePrint2007
Availability: Always
Priority: 1
Duplex: None
Print Quality: 300 * 300 dpi Color
Driver
Driver Name: Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver (v4.00)
Driver Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\msonpdrv.dll
Network

I will be out until about 4pm today but will check back then.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I like yourself am a Brit, unfortunately for me I don`t have a thick skin and can sometimes take a sleight when there was none intended (I am very self critical btw  :whistling: ) .

I have been there and got all the t-shirts in the over-sensitivity shop, so I understand what you are saying completely! :-)

can you make the Dell the default printer please and see if it will then print.

Okay..... I am probably stupid, but I do not know how to do this! I am not saying I do not know how to make a printer in 'Printers and Faxes' the default printer - that would be easy if my printer was showing up in there, but it isn't! All that shows is 'Send to One Note 2007' and 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer'. There is no sign of the elusive Dell 944 anywhere to be seen!

Maybe you will tell me to click 'Add a Printer' - but I cannot seem to find which port it should be installed to. I saw that if I click 'Create a new port' it tries to add one called 'Dell 944 Port' - but I was nervous of actually doing that without knowing whether it was correct or not. I did try clicking on 'USB001 Virtual Printer Port For USB' and that took me to a page where I was asked to specify the manufacturer and model for my printer. Dell was not included on the list which came up, so I clicked 'Have Disk' and put my disk in. I was then told: 'The specified location does not contain information about your hardware'.

I also read on a microsoft.com page that: "to add and set up a non-Plug-and-Play printer connected directly to your computer, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group". I duly logged in as Administrator - but when I went into 'Printers and Faxes', I was surprised to find that no printer at all was there, not even the One Note thing. When I clicked 'File' and 'Add Printer', it told me that my old friend the spooler service was not running. I logged back into Windows normally, and both 'Send to One Note 2007' and 'Microsoft XPS Document Writer' are present in 'Printers and Faxes' once again........

Cheers,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
I have been there and got all the t-shirts in the over-sensitivity shop, so I understand what you are saying completely! :-)

Failure is not a chosen option but it cannot be avoided if it is inevitable  ;)  

You are connecting the printer to the computer by way of a USB port and so it is a recognised Plug and Play device, adding a printer in XP is better explained than I can here

For print spooler issues please see the following information;

Click on Start and then Run.
Type in services.msc and then press Enter

Scroll down the Services window and look for Print Spooler >  double click on that.
In the centre of Print Spooler Properties window you will see Startup Type.
Set that to Automatic and then press the apply tab found to the bottom right of the desktop.
Select the start button under Service Status and click OK to close the window then test please.

Alternatively, courtesy of the Microsoft forums please try the procedure below;

Clear Printer Spooler files and enable the spooler service

===================

1. Click Start, click Run, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

3. Click Stop and click OK.

4. Click Start, click Run, type "%WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers" in the open window, and delete all files in this folder.

5. Click Start, click Run, type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

6. Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.

7. Click on Start. In the Startup Type list, make sure that "Automatic" is selected and click OK.

Does it work now? If the issue persists, let's use the Spooler Cleaner tool to repair the spooler service:

1. Please extract the file to the Desktop.

2. Double click cleanspl.exe and click the Spooler Cleaner button.

3. Restart your computer and try to print again.

File can be found here:

http://cid-b7ed40feb...re/cleanspl.zip

Edited by phillpower2, 04 May 2014 - 03:47 AM.
Link added

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi again,

I followed your instructions ...... but without success, unfortunately!

I had done the first thing previously, but went into services again and confirmed that it was set to automatic - and it was.

(I noticed whilst in services that the rpc service does not seem to be shown at all. You may remember me telling you that I now get an rpc error when trying to install the printer drivers)

I then ran the cleanspl.exe program, but unfortunately that does not seem to have improved anything either - except that nothing at all now shows in 'Printers and Faxes'! I left all of the print monitors untouched - except for deleting one for 'Dell 922 Port Print Monitor' (no idea why that was there!) There is also one for 'Dell 944 Port Print Monitor' which I left untouched because I was unsure what to do.

I am thinking of restoring to an earlier date yet again and trying to rethink things from there....... but first I am changing tack for a while and going back to what happened when Godawgs was helping me and we tried to run scannow, but failed because I was continuously prompted to add my Windows XP CD - although whenever I did so, I was told it was the wrong one!

I have been reading the links here and here. The first one says to copy the i386 files to the hard drive. We did this and I am sure that Godawgs pointed the scannow thing towards the file on C drive - but it did not work [nothing I try ever seems to work lol ]

The first link says: -

You still keep being prompted for the XP CD yet you have done all in this article! There is another setting in the registry that may be causing the problem. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SourcePath

Make sure the entry here is the same path to the I386 folder as used above.

I have tried to follow these instructions, but cannot find 'source path' in the registry editor.

Please can you help me check that scannow is set up to point towards C drive?

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 05 May 2014 - 06:27 AM.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

UPDATE

I managed to check from Godawg's instructions and it all seems to be pointing to c drive okay.

Any other ideas?

UPDATE #2

I  was looking at 2 Microsoft.com pages here and here.

I was thinking that most likely the info in the second one does not apply to my version of Windows XP so I went and checked which version I have - and it brought up something interesting that I have never noticed before.

My computer tells me that I have:-

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

My installation CD is for: -

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 With Update Rollup 2

The shop installed the operating systen from their own disk when they replaced the hard drive.

Would this be the reason that when I try to insert the disk when running Scannow it keeps telling me I have the wrong disk?

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 05 May 2014 - 01:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

UPDATE #2

I  was looking at 2 Microsoft.com pages here and here.

I was thinking that most likely the info in the second one does not apply to my version of Windows XP so I went and checked which version I have - and it brought up something interesting that I have never noticed before.

My computer tells me that I have:-

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

My installation CD is for: -

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 With Update Rollup 2

The shop installed the operating systen from their own disk when they replaced the hard drive.

Would this be the reason that when I try to insert the disk when running Scannow it keeps telling me I have the wrong disk?

Good catch and yes it would make a difference and in more ways than one, your XP disk if it was the one provided with the computer will have Dell OEM drivers specific to your model of computer, please see the attachments below, does your XP packaging etc have Dell embossed on it/them

You will recall in my reply #18 that I mentioned the following;

Dell drivers are notorious for being difficult to install and so much so that after a fresh install of the OS or any major change of the hardware the drivers have to be reinstalled in a set order so as to avoid issues, see here

Later versions of the software will include all of the earlier software and drivers etc + enhancements, this is not normally a problem if you have the later version of the disk only if the situation is reversed, my concerns are 1: If they have not reinstalled the correct OS have they also not installed all of the correct Dell drivers etc and in the correct order. 2: The Microsoft product key that is in use on your computer will be different to the one that you have on your XP COA sticker, second attachment.

Please run The Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder to locate the XP product key that is in use on your computer, once you have made a note of it compare it to the one on your XP product (please keep the details private and I am not asking that you post them here)

When done post back with an update please.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello again and thanks for your reply.

I am writing this via my phone as the computer is out of action as I am running chkdsk again (it was run previously when Godawgs was helping me. I am a bit worried about it at the moment though - it ran all night without problem, but this morning the dodgy monitor decided to play it's tricks. The past week it has gone off a couple of times and Benn impossible to get back, other than for a few seconds - and this has happened now, with chkdsk running. I can get it back only for a second or two to see what percentage has been done. Am not sure if or how I can complete the scan now!

It is not actually letting me see your message on here as I type this, so sorry if I miss responding to any part. I looked at your two pictures though and yes to your question about the Dell thing. Our computer was purchased from Dell and the tower has a label like the one on your pic with Dell on it (and I just noticed that it has Windows XP Media Center 2005 on it as well!) The computer was shipped without a CD, but I later requested - and got sent - one. So yes, it is a bona fide Dell CD.

The guy in the shop who dealt with us when the new hard drive was put in told us he knew all about our particular Dell model as he used to have one himself!

I think I mentioned before that I emailled the shop the first time I was unable to run the scannow thing. I emailled again last night just,telling them that I had noticed the discrepancy and did they think it could be causing my problems running scannow. They replied saying yes it could, but made no further comment.

chkdsk is now at 75%

Cheers,
Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

You are really going through the mill with this I am sorry to say  :(

Whoever replaced the HDD could be more helpful than what they are, I will wait until you have the computer back before we continue if you like.

As an asides do I recall correctly in that the people that swapped the HDD when asked told you that they had reinstalled the same OS as what was on the drive originally.