Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell All-in-One Printer 944 Problem (Resolved)

Dell Printer

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

You really will not believe this!!!!

I was sitting here admiring our new monitor and my newly-tidied desk and just happened to spot the printer usb lead lying there idle.... and something made me have one more try to install the printer. So, I connected the lead and the new hardware wizard came up, so I put in the CD and waited! For ages, it didn't seem to be doing anything.... then it started to copy the files...... and I sat here just waiting for the usual error message at the end. Instead, the Dell bar showing me the progress of the installation came up for the first time.... and it actuallly completed the installation this time! It still took me a while to be able to make it print - I had to disconnect all the leads from the printer itself and put them back in - but in the end I managed to print out a test page!

I am very, very, very happy.... but also very puzzled! Why has it suddenly done this? Do you think it was to do with the chkdsk thing I ran just before the monitor died? It is very strange, but very good news indeed! Computers seem to have a will of their own....... :yes:

I feel as if I should go out and celebrate now! Lol!

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 08 May 2014 - 04:31 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Channeal,

Great news and a job very well done your behalf  :thumbsup:

Running the last chkdsk may have indeed resolved an underlying issue, we never know for certain though.

Have you created a new restore point now that the printer is working correctly.

Your new monitor is plug and play and so it is presently using generic Windows, see if you can adjust the display to a way that you are happy with but without installing the HP drivers, this includes brightness & colour settings etc, the monitor does not appear to have built in speakers, please advise on the present audio situation.

Once again well done, your determination is admirable  :yes:

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello again,

Once again well done, your determination is admirable  :yes:

Thank you lol! If there is one thing you can say about me, it is that I do not give up easily! And I always think I can fix things.... sometimes unrealistically so though! I am very happy that all my efforts eventually paid off this time with the printer. I couldn't have done it without your help though, so thanks very much indeed for everything. I am very grateful.

I couldn't make a new restore point last night (my husband grabbed the computer to look at some very important football news lol), but I did do so this morning. If there is one thing that both you and Godawgs have taught me, it is to regularly create new restore points. I don't think I ever did this before!

Yes, the sound is still not working. The time I restored to the 8th April, I think it undid most of what we had done as far as this is concerned and left me with no sound at all. I have left the sound issues well alone recently though, concentrating completely on the printer, but I did notice on one occasion - when looking at the Dell Downloads page for possible printer drivers - that this is now showing a 'Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D) Audio Driver'. So I guess my first step now is to try to install that?

Cheers,

Chris.

PS I haven't looked at any monitor settings yet, but have got more used to the brightness now. I was completely unsure when we were in PC World buying the monitor about whether or not to get one with speakers, but in the end we didn't. To be honest, I was not even aware before that some monitors now have speakers. I would have asked for your advice on this if I had realised. Silly me!

Edited by Channeal, 09 May 2014 - 08:46 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Channeal,

Please use the Dell driver scanner tool for your audio drivers, scan tool  here , please let us know if anything different is suggested.

Restore points are good and they can be a safety net but they cannot beat backing up all of your important data on a regular basis, just in case  ;)

NB: Mutual respect to Godawgs and the staff over on malware, they are most knowledgeable in many areas and the first folk to help all of us if they can  :thumbsup:

How is it going with the audio/drivers - was the Creative Labs driver suggested by the Dell driver scanner.

Edited by phillpower2, 10 May 2014 - 04:02 AM.
Request for update added

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hi, it's me again!

I have spent most of the day today trying to fix the sound issues!

I did the dell driver scan..... which was what I was talking about in my last message when I said: -

the Dell Downloads page .................... is now showing a 'Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D) Audio Driver'. So I guess my first step now is to try to install that?

I installed this today and it seemed to install okay. Creative SB X-Fi previously had an exclamation mark by it in Device Driver, but this was gone after the installation of the driver. However, there was still no sound. I eventually went to the Creative page that you gave me before and after letting it scan the computer, I installed all their critical downloads. This took an absolute age...... I am not sure I needed it all - the CD player for example - but anyway, I have the whole kaboodle now! One driver took about 3 attempts to download, although it was successful in the end. Now everything should be completely up to date.

The audio situation now is kind of interesting...... It is pretty much back now to how it was just before I did the system restore really.  The Creative Console is set to '5.1 Speakers' and 'Synchronise With Control Panel' is ticked. CMSS-3D is enabled and it is set to 'Stereo Surround'. There is a facility to test the different channels.

if I plug the 3 leads (green, black and yellow) individually into their corresponding sockets, the channel test confirms that there is sound from the centre and two rear speakers, but none from the two front ones. If I actually play a music track in Windows Media Player, it is the same (though I am not sure about the centre speaker).

If I connect the 3 leads up with the connector lead and put that into the green socket (relating to the front speakers) - the way it was connected before all the problems started - I get no sound at all.

I did however - just as an experiment - try putting the single lead (with the 3 colour-coded leads connected up) into the other 2 sockets and the results were as follows: -

If I put it into the black socket (relating to the rear speakers?) the channel test tells me there is sound  from only the rear right and rear left speakers  - although if I actually play a music track in Windows Media Player it appears to be coming from all the speakers - including the two front ones - at the same time.

If I plug it into the yellow socket (relating to the centre speakers?), the channel test tells me there is sound from the centre speaker only, although I think I can hear it in the left front as well. If I actually play music. In Windows Media Player though, I cannot hear anything.

(I do not know why there is this difference between the channel tester facility and what happens if I play a music track).

I hope I got everything above correct..... it is a bit confusing with the different coloured sockets producing different results! My logical (or maybe illogical) mind says that there might actually be a fault with the green socket on the back of the computer as nothing plugged into there ever seems to produce sound. Is that a possibility? I was previously thinking it might be a fault with the two front speakers themselves, but now I have heard some sound coming from them I think that cannot be correct.

Sorry if any of the above is not very clear; I struggle sometimes to explain what I mean well!

Cheers,
Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 10 May 2014 - 05:57 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

It does appear that there is a problem with the green jack port, can I ask if you are able to check in the BIOS to ensure that the onboard audio chip is not enabled.

As I understand it from your computer manual, when using the add on sound card the 3 coloured leads should be plugged into their corresponding colours on the add on sound card and the 3 into 1 cable is only used to connect the speakers to the motherboards integrated audio chip green socket or alternatively not using the 3 into 1 cable and connect the yellow, black and green plugs directly into the MBs corresponding colour coded audio ports.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello and thank you for your last message.

When I first set up the speakers, I used the Dell instruction card entitled 'Setting Up Your Speakers' from which the diagram you posted in your message yesterday was taken (only our copy does not have the red text bit - this was obviously added later).

I did not fully understand the instructions at the time. The lay-out of the computer in the diagram is different from ours, plus I had no understanding about the motherboard or sound card options. I was just trying to follow the diagram. It is only during the course of this dialogue with you (before the printer went wrong and distracted me) that I have learned that the only place the speaker leads can be connected to on our computer is actually the sound card sockets. I also spotted on another Dell instruction card (entitled 'Set Up Other Devices Last') the bit saying 'If your integrated sound connectors are covered by a cap, connect your speakers to the optional sound-card connectors. Do not remove the cap' which finally explained to me why our computer looked nothing at all like the one in the 'Setting Up Your Speakers' diagram.

That's my big complaint about computers.... most people (particularly those like us who are getting on in years) do not have much technical knowledge - and the instructions given are often not clear enough for nerds like us to understand! Because my husband was at work and I was at home when we bought our first computer, I somehow got lumbered with the job of doing everything computer related. My husband thinks I know a lot, although actually my knowledge of computers is still very miniscule really. I guess a lot of people just take their computers into a shop at the first sign of trouble (or better still, know a friend with enough technical knowledge to fix it for them).... whilst I stupidly try to find out how to do it myself, often with disastrous results! My husband knows nothing about computers really, apart from having used them at work. He is not really into technical stuff, his line of work involved mathematics and accounting type things. He is always complaining that I should write the little bit of computer knowledge I do have down, in case I was ever to die suddenly and leave him to learn how to do it all by himself. :-)

Sorry, I have been rambling on..... The whole point of what I was trying to say above was to tell you that I remember being very confused about whether or not to use the integrated sound connector. I guess I questioned whether the fact that they had given us one - coupled with the confusing diagram - meant that we had to use it. However... my increasingly bad memory is not serving me very well here, but I am pretty sure that at one time the three leads were connected to the three different sockets according to their different colours. At some point though (I cannot say when or why), it must have been changed so that the integrated sound connector was used. I assume there must have been some reason for this, but I have no idea what it was!

I am going to have an attempt at looking at the BIOS as you asked, but will wait until the house is a bit quieter before doing so, so that I am not interrupted. When I have done it, I will post another message here to let you know what (if anything) I find (please see below for update).

Cheers,
Chris.

PS I am still really rejoicing at having the printer reinstalled and working. Thanks once again for this.

PPS As soon as I finished this message, I unexpectedly got a few moments to myself while our daughter went out for a run and I sneaked a quick look at the BIOS. The only audio-related thing I could find was 'Integrated Audio' which was set to on. I don't suppose that could be what you were talking about?

Edited by Channeal, 11 May 2014 - 12:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the comprehensive update Channeal  :thumbsup:

All of us are still learning and regardless of what the subject matter is it is good to keep the old grey matter exercised  :)

Regarding the Dell 3 in 1 cable, this will have been automatically shipped with your computer by Dell, the Creative sound card was an optional extra that will have been fitted to enhance the computers features in the hopes of boosting sales, the cable btw would have been packaged with the speakers and not the computer.

I can`t take the credit for getting the printer working, it was your perseverance that did that.

I will look out for your next update, you are most welcome btw  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi again,

I think your message crossed with my update, which was as follows: -

As soon as I finished this message, I unexpectedly got a few moments to myself while our daughter went out for a run and I sneaked a quick look at the BIOS. The only audio-related thing I could find was 'Integrated Audio' which was set to on. I don't suppose that could be what you were talking about?

Bye for now,

Chris.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Channeal,

Yes the integrated audio is what I was referring to, it should be set to disabled when you are using an add on sound card.

NB: I am on and offline atm as I am dismantling a notebook but I will reply in between when I can.

Advertisements

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hi again,

It is very late and I should really be asleep..... but must just tell you quickly that changing the setting in the BIOS has indeed solved the sound problems! I cannot believe it! Once again, thank you so much; I really cannot tell you how pleased - and how grateful - I am.

I am a bit puzzled about why I was getting sound before, but then it suddenly went. I am assuming that the BIOS settings cannot just change themselves? If not, then I guess it must have been the guys in the shop who gave it back to us like that. I do know that there was no sound when we first got the computer back and I was a bit cross because when I rang and told them, the guy wouldn't spend any time telling me what to do, but just told us to take it back in to them. I don't know what it was I did to get sound then, although I know it involved downloading something after doing a Dell scan. Anyway.... none of that really matters now that the problem is solved!

I didn't post a message earlier as I thought I would leave you to dismantle your notebook in peace. I hope it went well.

Once again, thank you so much.
Chris.

PS What should I do about the changes Godawgs made when we were trying to get the scannow thing to work? I believe he said that he would clean up once you had finished helping me. I saw the other day that he had closed off the previous topic as solved; no doubt he thinks that I am no longer around!

Edited by Channeal, 11 May 2014 - 07:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Channeal,

Great news that you have now also resolved the audio issue, I am pleased for you  :)  :yes:

Well done again for staying with it and thank you for persevering with me and for checking out the suggestions that I put forward  :thumbsup:

One final suggestion if I may, you have no doubt already created a new restore point now that everything is as it should be, please create a back up image of your HDD using Macrium Reflect free, details here this will avoid you going through this aggravation if for some reason you ever need to replace/upgrade your hard drive.

I will ask Godawgs to advise you regarding the conclusion of your malware topic.

Please continue to visit the forums as you do not need to have computer problems to do so, you may find yourself sharing your knowledge with another member in order to help them  ;)

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hi again,

I actually meant to ask you about the back-up question...... We have an external hard drive and a program called Acronis. When the hard drive failed, I retrieved our documents from it..... and some from another last-minute back up of documents which was stored on our second hard drive (originally, we never even knew we had a second hard drive  :)). I do not think I really made use of the Acronis program though, because I didn't really understand what to do with the information it had stored on the external hard drive. At the moment, I want to wipe all the documents from both the second hard drive and also the external one, install Acronis once more and start from scratch once again.

Thanks for saying you will contact Godawgs for me. I have been on a long - and occasionally stressful - journey here, but on the whole I have enjoyed it (I guess I must have a kind of problem-solving brain buried somewhere inside the redundant grey matter.!)

I will indeed still keep an eye on the forum - though I am not sure about being able to help anybody else! You guys at Geeks to Go do an amazing job on here......... I cannot believe how long both you and Godawgs have spent in helping lil' ol' me, it must add up to hours and hours! :)

Thanks again,

Chris

PS Oh how nice it is to be able to play music on here again: I cannot live without my music lol!

Edited by Channeal, 12 May 2014 - 05:25 AM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Hi Chris and Phill,

I knew you were still here. I've been lurking in the background  :ph34r: . Looks like you and Phill have had quite the adventure. I was afraid that your monitor was going. That was one of the reasons I asked a Tech to take a look. I leave almost all of the system and hardware issues to the Techs. And Phill is one of the best.
If you want to reverse the changes we made when we were trying to get the SFC to scan, we can do that.

The first thing you need to do is create a restore point. I'm sure you know how to do that by now :)

You should still have the setupbak.reg and currentversionbak.reg files on the desktop (we didn't delete them during the cleanup).

After the restore point has been successfully created:

1. Delete the C:\i386 folder that we created.
  2. Right click the setupbak.reg file on the desktop and click Merge on the context menu. OK any prompts you get.
  3. Right click the currentversionbak.reg file on the desktop and click Merge on the context menu. OK any prompts you get.
  4. Reboot the computer to make the changes effective.

If you have any questions, stop and let me know.

Once the computer has rebooted, run it for a while and make sure everything is OK. There shouldn't be any issues as all we are doing is returning the Registry keys to what they were originally.
Once you are satisfied, you can delete the setupbak.reg and currentversionbak.reg files.

I'm really glad that everything got sorted. You did an awesome job :thumbsup:

Regards,
godawgs

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thank you both for your kind words  :)

It has been a team effort here and I have learnt much from it  :thumbsup:

Channeal, we are most willing to help you to back up your data as a safeguard but please back up the HDD that has your OS on it as a priority (regardless of which software that you use) please get back to us if you are unsure.