Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem: 12gb ram installed but only 8 physical usable

ram

• Please log in to reply

Mebi

Mebi

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi guys, i need a help about my problem:
i recently installed 3x2gb ram and now i have 6x2gb (i already had 3x2 gb ram). Speccy notice that all my 6 slots are occupied and that i have 12gb but it tells me that i only have 8gb physical ram.
I installed all the blocks separatley and they all work in every slot. It just seems that i cannot have more than 8gb but it's unlikely to be so (you can see here my specs).

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Motherboard - Asus P6T SE X58 (LGA1366)
CPU - Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
old ram: Corsair 3x2gb DDR3 1600mhz (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9)
new ram: Corsair 3x2gb DDR3 1600mhz (CM3X2G1600C9) they are the same of the old ones just the new model

Hope you can help me, thanks in advance!!
(ask me anything for more specs or questions)

Michele

Advertisements

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I wanted to add a screenshot of cpu-z
h5sKa4K.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Mebi

Your Ram is triple channel is it not.

Please restart your computer and access the BIOS to check that your Ram is detected as 1600MHz and that the voltage for the Ram is 1.5V.

Upon boot, open an elevated command prompt (type cmd in the search box, right click the result and choose 'Run As Administrator')
Type: msconfig
Select the Boot tab and then the Advanced Options button. 
In the window that opens, is there a setting for Maximum Memory, if there is, make sure that the checkbox for it does not have a tick in it, reboot the computer and see if all of the Ram is detected.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The maximum memory box is unchecked. I set 1600 and 1.5v as you said but still same result :(. I didn't get the question about triple channel :D It is but if i run 6x2 it's dual channel :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I asked the question about the triple channel ram in case it needs to be physically tested, one or three sticks at a time etc.

I was hoping that the memory box being checked was the problem  :(

Please refer to the information here, there are some fixes that you can try yourself straight away, this is a well documented problem with the X58 platform btw.

Let us know how it goes.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Ok thank you i'll check right now

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I tried several frequency and voltages but up to now no luck :( i tried to mount them separately again and still if i run the newer ones they work fine in triple channel mode. If i add them in pairs i have some problems: the first 2 work fine on 4gb but if i add 2 more they work as 4gb in mono channel. still trying...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Some rather long winded testing of the Ram needs to be done I`m afraid, see my canned text below;

Testing two sticks at a time in slots A1 and A2 and then reversing the same two sticks so that A1 is in A2 and A2 in A1 etc follow the steps below;

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot A1 and the second in A2, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure with the Ram from A2 in slot A1 and A1 in slot A2, make a note of the results.

Do the above until all Ram has been tested and the results written down.

If the Ram is the exact same spec there should be no issue with mixing the old and new Ram when testing.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

If i run 2x2 in slots A2 and B2 it works fine on 4gb. I tested this with ALL the dimms in pairs .. so there's not faulty dimm..

If i run 4x2 in slots A1,A2,B2,C2 it only use 4 out of 8 gb. (the position of the 4x2 is suggested in mobo manual).
If i run 6x2 in all stolts it only use 8gb out of 12.

So the possibilities are a faulty slot or the much more probable difference between VDIMM and QPI/DRAMM .. i did try some frequences and voltages but up to now i didn't find a good one :(

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If i run 4x2 in slots A1,A2,B2,C2 it only use 4 out of 8 gb. (the position of the 4x2 is suggested in mobo manual).

Do I have the correct MB as the guide that I have shows A2 + A1 + B1 + C1.

Do all sticks work ok in triple channel when placed in A1 + B1 + C1

Download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yes i followed that guide :) I just wrot down the wrong information cause i'm a tard. But i did that correctly.
Yes all sticks work in triple channel in A1+B1+C1

Here's the speccy for 6x2. Now i put on 4x2 and send that image too! Thanks for your support!
http://speccy.pirifo...LtVYRrKNh8fvdEv

I can make screenshots of that, that is soo long xD

Edited by Mebi, 25 April 2014 - 03:43 AM.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Here it is the one with 4x2. http://speccy.pirifo...XU7daVKpRbwnVBH

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem with the Ram being recognised by the MB or your test results so the hardware appears ok.

Try manually changing the size of the page file to 18GB;

1. On the Keyboard Press the WindowsKey + X then click System in the popup menu

2. Tap or click Advanced system settings1f9463c2-c968-47bf-9b4d-939c5d1af477_70. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, tap or click Settings.

4. Tap or click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, tap or click Change.

5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

6. Under Drive [Volume Label], tap or click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

7. Tap or click Custom size, enter the new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, tap or click Set, and then tap or click OK.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I followed all your steps. Only thing is that i had to put 18gb in BOTH minimum size and maximum size box (otherwise the system told me i had an empty box)... after the reboot it's still 8gb :S may be i had to do something different with the maximum size dunno.. :(