Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem: 12gb ram installed but only 8 physical usable

ram

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

At the moment we are trying to rule out the obvious so please bear with me, some checks to do below, one at a time please;

Windows normally allocates the size of the page file automatically, typically one and a half times the physical memory that is installed.

Please try making the minimum box 12GB and the maximum 18GB.

Create a new restore point first then see below;

Open My Computer. At the top right, there is a search field...type pagefile.sys and click the search icon. In the search results, right click on the file (pagefile.sys) and choose Delete...confirm the deletion.

Restart your machine. A new pagefile will be created automatically when the machine starts.

Try running Windows own memory testing tool, details here

Advertisements

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I really appreciate your help! I set the minimum at 12 and the maximum at 18 but still it recognize 8gb.
Then i looked for the pagefile.sys but apparently it does not exist. There's literally no such file and it's strange i looked in the net for this problem and that's probably the reason i cant set manually the page dimension...

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Windows memory tool found no error.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

How much Ram is detected in the BIOS.

Does Windows report 12GB of Ram as being detected;

To find out how much RAM your computer has

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

2. In the System section, next to Installed memory (RAM), you can see the amount of RAM your computer has.

You are welcome btw  :) 

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

it detects 8 gb only

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

it detects 8 gb only

What does the BIOS or Windows.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

the bios detect 8gb 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Are you using the stock heatsink and cooling fan that was provided with the CPU.

Remove all of the Ram.

Remove the MBs CMOS battery for 10 minutes (see attachment below)

Place the 3 new sticks of Ram into slots A1 - B1 and C1 and the original 3 sticks in A2 - B2 and C2.

Replace the CMOS battery, reassemble the computer and test.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Yes i'm using the heatsink and cooling fan that was provided with the CPU. 
Ok now i do that and i'll let you know! Thanks for your awesome support!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome  :)

Advertisements

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Remove all of the Ram.

Remove the MBs CMOS battery for 10 minutes (see attachment below)

Place the 3 new sticks of Ram into slots A1 - B1 and C1 and the original 3 sticks in A2 - B2 and C2.

Replace the CMOS battery, reassemble the computer and test.

I did this the exact order you said it but unfortunately still i have 8gb usable.. i take a photo of the bios so you can see it. It says i have 8gb usable.. i don't know if it only detects 8gb i just have that information.
0nPPBAr.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the picture which prompted me to check the CPU specs, see below;

The CPU memory controller is the limiting factor and not a problem with the MB, Ram or OS, please see the details below that I have highlighted in red;

Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor 
(8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI)

SPECIFICATIONS -

Essentials Status End of Interactive Support Launch Date Q4'08

Processor Number i7-920

# of Cores 4 # of Threads 8 Clock Speed 2.66 GHz Max Turbo Frequency 2.93 GHz Intel® Smart Cache 8 MB Intel® QPI Speed 4.8 GT/s

# of QPI Links 1 Instruction Set 64-bit Instruction Set Extensions SSE4.2 Embedded Options AvailableNo 

Lithography 45 nm Max TDP 130 W VID Voltage Range 0.800V-1.375V Recommended Customer Price BOX : $305.00

-

Memory Specifications

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 24 GB

Memory Types DDR3-800/1066

# of Memory Channels 3

Max Memory Bandwidth 25.6 GB/s

Physical Address Extensions 36-bit

ECC Memory Supported ‡ No

You may be able to get the full amount of Ram recognised by underclocking the system (but I doubt it) this can lead to stability issues and I would recommend against it.

It is not the point I know but 8GB of Ram is more than adequate for the average user.

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Unfortunately i need the ram to use after effect and it's really a pain watching the pc working without being able to do nothing :D
So basically if i buy a new processor i will be able to use the full amount of ram? In this case can you suggest me a good processor i can use on my system?
Thank you for your time!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

8GB of Ram is adequate for After Effects CS6.

I edited my previous reply as I intended to say underclock the system, apologies for the blip  :oops:

Before going to the time, trouble and expense of possibly upgrading the CPU try clocking the Ram back to 1066MHz in the BIOS, save the settings etc, restart the computer and see if the 12GB is recognised/detected by the BIOS and Windows, I meanwhile will look for possible CPU upgrades should it be the way you wish to proceed.

You are welcome btw  :)

Mebi

Mebi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

i tried 1066 with 1.35 QPI/DRAM and 1.65 VDIMM but still no success :( have i to put them in 1066 with automatic settings on the voltage?
Ty