Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB all stopped working Acer Aspire 5750

• Please log in to reply

daveyroo

daveyroo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello, I have had an aspire 5750 for a couple of years now, and a few months ago every USB port stopped recognising things, they still charge my phone, and the light on my mouse comes on but doesn't work. I am a loss, I have tried everything. Deleted and reinstalled all drivers, done a system restore, all devices work on other computers etc. Even today I reinstalled windows and all the drivers and still no avail.

Another thing I just remembered, I think the built in webcam stopped around the same time, kept notifying me of an unknown device which kept disconnecting and connecting, and the webcam doesn't work, so I disabled one of the root usb things to do with it

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

If you disabled the root usb device, then all of the devices under it would not be accessible. Go back and enable it and see if the other devices start working.

It is possible that the USB controller failed, which means you might need to install a USB board into your computer.

Your web cam might have died, which might mean you need to disconnect it.

daveyroo

daveyroo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I tried, still the same problem :( if I run my finger over the laser on the mouse it lights up so surely it must be working??!

Thanks

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

It means it has power. I suspect if you connected the mouse to a USB charging device, it would do the same thing.

If you re-enabled the device that you disabled, it is possible that the USB controller failed. If that is the case, then you would need to replace it, which since often it is on the motherboard, you would need to replace the motherboard or install an additional USB controller.