Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP "Repair Install"`

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Im preparing to do a Windows XP Repair Install.  I am wondering if doing this that I would lose my Desktop Shortcuts, Folders and Icons.  I tried to save them to a folder labelled "Baackup", and I am using  NCH Express Burn, as my Nero program is not working properly, but Express Burn is giving me a messaage that the title is too long(exceeding 64 characters) so where do I go from here.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The repair install should keep the desktop shortcuts but it's always better to do a backup of everything you don't want risk losing.

Zip the files inside the folder and burn the zip instead this will bypass the path long problem when burning to CD/DVD.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

A few  more question before I get into this.  I have instructions on how to do this Windows XP Repair Install. "You will need to select your Region and Language options.  You will also need to set your network connections.  Most users can choose the first option, "' No, this computer is not on a network without a domain."'

Question 1  I am on Dial-up with the phone company being my ISP provider.  Is this considered a network?

Question 2 Is there anywhere on pc where it indicates the domain, if applicable to the instructions?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

No, dial-up is not what is considered a network.

You do not have a Domain. A Domain is something you join over a Ethernet Network, primarily seen in businesses.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Thanks for you patience and replies to this.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Finally one question. It is my understanding that during the Repair Install that Windows will begin deleting files. Does this include my Office Files?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Finally one question. It is my understanding that during the Repair Install that Windows will begin deleting files. Does this include my Office Files?

Where did you got that idea?

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

I have received instreuctions from whatthetech.com and they say this in paragraph 8.8. "Once  you have your copy  highlighted, press ® to start the Repair process.  Windows will begin deleting system files.  After the system files are deleted, fresh copies will be installed."  Am I to assume that these are strictly Windows XP operating system files and not Office files?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I have received instreuctions from whatthetech.com and they say this in paragraph 8.8. "Once  you have your copy  highlighted, press ® to start the Repair process.  Windows will begin deleting system files.  After the system files are deleted, fresh copies will be installed."  Am I to assume that these are strictly Windows XP operating system files and not Office files?

Yes only the system files are affected but there is also the possibility of some program stop working and need a reinstall.

I don't know the guide you are referring to. I know this one where the process is described like this:

Windows XP Setup will now delete the necessary system files from the Windows XP installation that is currently on your hard drive. This step usually only takes a few seconds and no user intervention is necessary.

Note: No data files like word processor files, spreadsheet files, music files, photos, etc. should be deleted during this process. Only system files that Windows XP is able to restore are being deleted.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Now that i am on fixed Wireless network(no more dial-up) what should I indicate as my domain

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Now that i am on fixed Wireless network(no more dial-up) what should I indicate as my domain

Where?

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
A domain as a website's address and a domain as a closed network group (often seen in companies) are two different things. I think that you are confused with this.

What do you need a domain for?
When installing the XP OS on a machine, if it is not company-related, yo do not need to have any domain :)

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Gotcha