Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am having problem with Resolution

• Please log in to reply

clarisaboo

clarisaboo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I bought a used Toshiba Satellite M40 with Intel Pentium M 1.73 GHZ and 1.50 Gig Ram.laptop to send to my Niece abroad for home schooling (on wheelchair) and the OS is a Window XP Professional.  It was working when I bought it but I do not know what I did and the resolution keep on going back to 800X600 every time I re-start it.  I will change again the resolution to 1024by 768 and after re-start it go back to 800 by 600.  Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by clarisaboo, 23 April 2014 - 12:52 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello clarissaboo

Try Last Known Good Configuration

Let us know how it goes.

clarisaboo

clarisaboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It did not work, still went back to low resolution.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

What procedure are you using to change the settings.

Check the Device Manager for a yellow ! or red X next to the video adapter.

clarisaboo

clarisaboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

All good on device manager no yellow. I go to control panel, appearance and theme, change resolution,and settings, apply.The laptop is using media accelerator driver for mobile and I do not have any cd.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Try resetting the factory defaults, with the notebook turned off, remove the battery and AC adapter then press the power on button for 10-15 seconds.

Re-attach the battery/AC adapter, power up the notebook and immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed, press F9 to restore the default settings, then F10 to save the settings and finally Y (yes) to exit changes, the computer should then start with a full screen.

clarisaboo

clarisaboo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Try resetting the factory defaults, with the notebook turned off, remove the battery and AC adapter then press the power on button for 10-15 seconds.

Re-attach the battery/AC adapter, power up the notebook and immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed, press F9 to restore the default settings, then F10 to save the settings and finally Y (yes) to exit changes, the computer should then start with a full screen.

I did all of what you said but it took me to "check system" and told me to press F1 key, system setup.  Any more ideas please?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Unfortunately not all Toshiba or any other brand name computers BIOS settings are worded or look the same, the default settings option may be in the system set up area.

What happened when you pressed F1.