Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old Gateway runs on ME won't boot

• Please log in to reply

suicide

suicide

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: ;) My dad just gave me his old desktop. It runs on Windows ME, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. When I plug it in, the internal green light comes on, so the power is connected. But, when I push the power button, instead of the button turning green, it turns orange-yellow-green. (not just orange) Nothing starts to move inside, not even the fan. I put in a boot disc that I downloaded from the internet, but the floppy drive doesn't move. Any ideas what might be wrong with it?? ;)

Edited by suicide, 09 June 2005 - 02:29 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It sounds like the psu (power supply) is dead and you can't just plug any old psu in to test because it is specific to the gateway brand meaning any old one won't fit.

To order one from gateway could be expensive so first I could explain how to check

Remove the psu from the computer and disconnect it from the motherboard then plug it into the wall outlet. On the 20 pin connector touch the green and any black wire with a paper clip, this should turn the psu on if not then it is bad. If it does turn on it could still be the problem among other things but try this first.

Rick

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
You should be able to tell what kind of Power Supply you at least need.

AT = two white connectors (sit side by side)

ATX = One big connector (20 Pins)

Next you wanto to count the number of molex connectors (5.25" connectors)
you have in use to your hdisk(s) and cd-rom, etc.

Then the number of 3.5" connectors

And finally any other odd used connectors to such things as case fans, cpu
fans, etc.

Then go pick a new one up. Most PS are standard (AT or ATX). Gateway
is pretty standard of keeping things "standard".

I would recommend buying on off line, most shoppes will charge you a pretty
penny unless you find them on sale.

I HIGHLY recommend looking at www.pricewatch.com to look for a decent price
on a PS let alone ANY other parts you need for your PC!

(no its no the William Shatner site...)...

I.... need.....a ..... new.... power..... supply..... now.......Scotty!

suicide

suicide

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You're probably right, because now when I hit the power button, this terrible burning smell comes out of the psu. I think my dad pt in a new psu before he gave me the computer, because it is duct-taped into the comp.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The reason for the duct tape is because the psu not mount up, the gateway I have is about from the same erra and only a psu from the manufacturer will mount in it.

Rick