Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 Update 1

• Please log in to reply

oklajohn

oklajohn

• Pip
  • 3 posts

When I purchased my pc, it had Windows 7 Pro x64.  I subsequently upgraded to Windows 8 Pro x64 (for a small fee) then upgraded to Windows8.1Pro x64 thru the Microsoft Store and finally am at Windows 8.1 Update 1. Pro x64.  So, overall this pc has been thru 4 OS config's.  It seems to be running fine.  All updates have been installed. No fragmentation.  No Trojans or virus per Windows Defender, MBAM, HitmanPro and Microsoft Windows Malicious Removal Tool.  SFC Scannow finds no integrity violations.  ChkDsk indicates no problems on my System  or External Backup Disks. I regularly make System Restore Points and Backup weekly to the External Disk with Mactrium Reflect.  I have a Windows 8 Microsoft DVD which I purchased.

The only problem I may have is with DISM.  When I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth it indicates "the component store is repairable.  The operation completed successfully".  When I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth it indicates the same thing.  When I run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth it indicates "the component store is repairable but the source files can not be found"

Since SFC is showing no integrity violations currently, I am not presently too concerned.  However, what if SFC indicates there are files with integrity violations, and it doesn't fix them, the fact that DISM can't find the source files then concerns me. I haven't been able to find a way to properly find the DISM source files yet, tho I've looked and looked for a solution.     Should I be concerned ? And, if so,  can anyone tell me what I need to do?   Appreciate any input.  Thanks.  

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I had the same problem when I was at Windows 8 Pro X64. I finally upgraded to 8.1 then update 1 and SFC and DISM now both run without errors.

I tried many fixes, none made any difference. I just lived with it until the upgrade.

oklajohn

oklajohn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have not found a solution for this - upgrading to Windows 8.1 is not an option, since I already have done that!  Anyone else have suggestions or can tell me how to find source files for  DISM and make them available to DISM?  

JW0914

JW0914

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Part 1 of Repair Process

The following fixes the Component Store Corruption KB2919355 AND Windows Update causes...

The following DISM commands must be given in the chronological sequential order of:

First

(Fixes Component Store Corruption; Should 1 or 2 fail with an error, rerun. If either fails a second time, you will need to do a repair install, see tutorial at bottom):
1. dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
2. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
3. Restart
4. sfc /scannow
5. Restart

Second:

("Resets" Windows Update; however, if you attempt KB2919355 again through Windows Update, the same corruption will occur again)

1. Create bat and run as ADMIN:

net stop wuauserv
rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
net start wuauserv

2. Restart

Warning: this was not a fast process... component cleanup took almost 5 hours. 

Advice: 

If the above fails to get rid of the Component Store Corruption (steps 1 or 2 fail), then an install repair (upgrade to your same version of windows) will be required.  Although this repair does not eliminate the corruption, if you're unable to fix the corruption using the method above. then the install repair is replacing something that is needed to fix the corruption but which is not able to provide a fix on it's own. Also, download [search] "Microsoft Safety Scanner" from the Microsoft website (I apologize, as I don't remember the thread I found the link on) and run it in full mode either way.

Tutorial for Repair Install "upgrade"

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

• Once KB2919355 causes corruption to the extent that /restorehealth no longer operates without errors, there is nothing further than can be done to repair the corruption, except a Repair Install.  DISM /restorehealth was designed to fix component store corruption and is the only application able to do so. Windows Update and KB2919355 causes system corruption to such an extent that using /source and pointing to the installation media or a working windows 8 installtion without corruption does nothing and /restorehealth still fails.

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT REFRESH/RESET YOUR PC.

DISCLAIMER: 
Microsoft will deny this update caused corruption within end user's systems and will blame it on everything else but components of their own OS, most especially Windows Update.  The only problem with this: thousands of users have reported massive corruption not only to the Component Store, but also within the DISM and System File Checker utilities.  Microsoft closed the two longest running threads on the corruption caused by KB2919355, one 116 pages long, the other 103... all the while telling users to run /scanhealth /restorehealth maybe a /startcomponentrepair in their somewhere, but never in the order which they must be run, or how to explain DISM /restorehealth corruption errors when being used with /source and the source was a mounted install.wim, as well as a VM win 8.1 with no corruption within it's component store.  

Part 2 of Repair

Fix that WILL allow the install of KB2919355

As many discoveries have been made, I discovered this accidentally. and quite by coincidence... 

In order for users, who've been plagued by errors and file corruption, to get a successful completion of KB2919355, all that's needed is to run the 8.1 upgrade installer, and when the 8.1 installer goes to the wait screen after entering the generic product key, start Windows Update for the install of KB2919355

EDIT: It appears, from the input of other users, one must FIRST install the 5 standalone updates included within the Windows Update KB2919355 package, you will then need to restart after the fifth and final standalone, then use Windows Update to install KB2919355 (do not use the standalone installer for KB2919355... use Windows Update).

Steps

1. Run the Windows 8.1 installer from within Windows, as if you're going to do an install repair "upgrade".
  2. Enter the generic product key, and upon clicking next, the installer will say wait... 
  3. Give the installer about 5 minutes, then start Windows Update (it should show the KB2919355 update), and click install.
  4. Windows Update will begin downloading the update... if you have a Windows Update cache problem that causes the speed and percentage to remain at zero, don't worry about it and get the update installed first, then you can clear the cache and remove the directories afterwards.
  5. The install may fail, don't worry... simply hit install again, making sure the 8.1 installer screen is still on the "wait" screen, as whatever the installer is doing during the "wait" screen is what makes the KB2919355 install possible. 
  6. KB2919355 should install and Windows Update should request you to restart... simply do so without cancelling the 8.1 installer.  Windows will finalize the update during the shutdown and restart processes.
  7. Upon rebooting into Windows, you will have a multitude of additional updates that will need to be installed (around 10, give or take a few), and you can verify the install of KB2919355 by going to "view installed updates" 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I suspect this is going to get a lot of use soon. Great work and thanks for posting it.

oldrailroadgeek

oldrailroadgeek

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Ztruker,

Evidently MS has gotten their act together on this upgrade #2919355.  On my first attempt {June 4, 2014} to install this upgrade bundle, the five other upgrades installed and #2919355 failed, however after restarting the PC the upgrade program said I had another upgrade to install #2919355.  I clicked on the install button and #2919355 installed with no problem.  I did not have to go through the procedure outlined above by member "JW0914", although I had already printed-out his procedure to make sure I could complete the installation of #2919355.

Oldrairoadgeek