Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home computer running slow, not loading web pages, resistant to attemp

slow computer virus resistant

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Good morning,

I am reaching out to the fine folks at Geeks to Go looking for assistance with my home computer.  Over the past week, the computer has started to run slow during start up, internet navigation and at times advises page could not be displayed etc. 

When symptoms first started I wasn't to concerned with them, however my home computer has been severely crippled with any type of task pushed its way and I am actually surprised it has allowed me to post.  Reason I say this is because it seems like the virus or issue I have is pretty darn smart and tries to combat me...its doing pretty good at blocking anything I've thrown its way.

Friends and family have suggested Malwarebytes and others that located (3) known issues being defined as a PUP, Trojan and something else I cant remember...we would select remove, restart and there is no improvement.

I am basically at a loss here...don't know which way to turn other than turning tower into a cool looking doorstop....   : )

Oh one last thing I can throw your way for insight and pondering.  We recently replaced our Comcast modem (older style) with the new one provided by them through rental/service agreement.  Anywho...once we hooked it up, my computer was lightning fast....I was able to jump appox. 10 websites as fast as I could type them in the browser.  It would load as fast as I could type, but a few minutes after that, my computer was sick again....the evil lurking inside raised its head.

Just thought I throw that in there as well.

Thanks in advance for looking at this post and possibly assisting with a remedy.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi lets have a quick shufti at the system

Download OTL to your Desktop
Secondary link
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

OTL_Main_Tutorial.gif
  • Select All Users
  • Select LOP and Purity
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
    BASESERVICES
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    c:\program files (x86)\Google\Desktop
    c:\program files\Google\Desktop
    dir "%systemdrive%\*" /S /A:L /C
    /md5start
    rpcss.dll
    /md5stop
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Attach both logs
THEN

Download aswMBR.exe ( 4.5mb ) to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it Click the "Scan" button to start scan

AswMBR%20scan.JPG

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hello....

Gonna try..it wont let me DL OTL....

Still plugging away at it

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK lets try a different programme to see if we can fool it :)

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Select both shortcut  and additions at the bottom
  • Press Scan button.
    frst.JPG
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from. 
  • Please attach all 3 logs generated.

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Sorry for delay...got the OTL to DL....

Computer is sooooo slow and difficult, its hard getting back to your posts is a timely manner...

Both OTL's are on my desk top....going after ASW thing you suggested.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

If you wish you can attach the OTL logs and I will look at them whilst AswMBR is running

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Here is what I can provide thus far....

Attached Files

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

I do apologize....we must be on the right track because computer is having all kind of fits with speed and DL issues

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

What is the Antivirus you are using at the moment as I can see three ?

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Norton at this time....

My brother-in-law advised to run AVG so you might see signs of that and we have always had MalwareBytes on desktop to click to run a scan when computer was acting up

Attached Files

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK I can see the problem, this may take several runs to cure

Once AswMBR has finished then do the following :

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

[img width=426 height=293]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/ried7/NSIS_disclaimer_ENG.png[/img]

NSIS_extraction.png

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks

This may take me awhile....Ill report back as soon as I can.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Aye it will take a while as you have a Java script running at start which is the main cause, plus a rootkit or two

If need be run Combofix from safe mode

Maxboost25psi

Maxboost25psi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Still trying...seems McAfee is dug in well and I cant disable...still pluggin' away at it....

I cant even seem to find it...not showing up in programs or via window search

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We will remove that later, did combofix run ?

If it is complaining about any of your AV's then accept the warning and run