Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Increasing Dedicated video Ram on Intel HD Graphics 4000

Increasing Dedicated video Ra

• Please log in to reply

Zedmau5

Zedmau5

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi all! I have an i5 Toshiba Satellite Laptop (C855-1J2) running Intel HD Graphics 4000. At the moment it says I have 64mb of dedicated Ram, but some games I want to play need more! I have way more than enough normal RAM and CPU power but the only thing holding me back is this darn dedicated video Ram. 

Some suggest that there's a setting in the BIOS to increase it but its not there on this laptop...any ideas? <3

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

:welcome:   Zedmau5

The computer may show only 64MB of memory being used at the moment but that is because the computer is not under load, if for example you started playing a game the system would automatically allocate the amount of memory required, how much will be allocated will be determined by the amount of physical Ram available and the OS, for Windows 7 64-bit a maximum of circa 1760MB, see below;

3rd Generation Intel®
Core™ Processors
with Intel® HD
Graphics 4000/2500
(Paired with Intel® 7
Series Chipsets) Windows 2000 = Unsupported XP operating system = Up to 1 GB Vista = Unsupported operating system Windows 7 =  Up to ~1.7GB 

blueminus-toggle.gifCan I control how much graphics memory is used by a single application?

The Intel® Graphics Driver Properties window does not have a user-configurable setting to control or increase the amount of graphics memory used by a single application. The amount of graphics memory in use is dynamically allocated to balance the needs of the operating system and all running applications.

Source here

Have you checked the HW Set Up area in the BIOS to see if there are any other display tweaks that can be made, user manual here

Zedmau5

Zedmau5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks  for the insight Arnie, I understand how it all works now. Turns out I can run Games like Modern Warfare 3 and the likes with 30+ fps. Amazing for the price of this unassuming GPU.

:) 

ps thanks for saving John Connor

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

Thanks  for the insight Arnie, I understand how it all works now. Turns out I can run Games like Modern Warfare 3 and the likes with 30+ fps. Amazing for the price of this unassuming GPU.

:)

ps thanks for saving John Connor

:laughing:

Levity apart, I am glad that I was able to provide a positive answer for you, enjoy your gaming  :thumbsup: