Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSE Not Working/ Sluggish Performance = Virus? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi,

A few weeks ago I noticed Microsoft Security Essentials was not working. Whenever I try to open it, I get a dialog box saying the version is not compatible (this is not true). Also, I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling, but I get an error when reinstalling. I've attached a pic of the error box.

I've noticed too that the computer is rather sluggish considering it is a high performance PC.

I suspect the machine is infected, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me resolve these issues, please?

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there we will need to have a quick shufti first

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Select both shortcut and additions at the bottom
  • Press Scan button.
    frst.JPG
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.
  • Please attach all 3 logs generated.

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Thanks for the reply. Here are the three logs generated.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

One of the MSES drivers does not appear to be signed so I will need to go deeper

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

• Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

NSIS_disclaimer_ENG.png

NSIS_extraction.png

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Here is the log. When I started ComboFix it detected Microsoft Security Essentials still running even though I had no way of disabling it and could not install it either because uninstal says an error occured and that it may have already been uninstalled. Things ran without any problem, though, but MSE still will not open. I suppose the computer is somewhat smoother, but hard to tell.

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you download and run the MSE repair utility from here http://www.thewindow...fix-mse-utility

If this fails we will need to uninstall and then re-install

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

The utility says MSE is not found on system. Really wierd.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK uninstall via control panel and then download and install a fresh copy

Let me know how that goes

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Tried uninstalling in control panel. Said it didn't exist and asked if I wanted to remove from program list. I did that. Also ran the Microsoft Fix It to make sure it was uninstalled. That came up with an error saying couldn't delete the process. Also tried manually stopping the process and got an access denied. I have no idea why these problems were happening because I am a full adiministrator. Ran a couple more methods for uninstalling. Even had to boot into safe mode and delete the MSE folder because it said I didn't have permission. 

After doing all I could to make sure it was gone, I tried reinstalling. Still comes up with an error, attached below. It's sort of like anything pertaining to this program is messed up or locked down somehow.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hmm intriguing I have never come across this before, apart from Security essentials how is the computer behaving

Download Windows All In One Repair from Tweaking.com to your desktop
Install the programme and run
Select Step 5 : Back up your registry and create a system restore point
waiobackup.JPG

Then select the Start repairs tab and click Start
waiorepair.JPG

Select the following repair number items :

Once it has completed then reboot the system

Advertisements

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Still can't install. As far as the current performance, I think it seems smooth. The programs that used to take longer loading now load quicker. It feels more like the machine it should be. The only two problems that jump out at me still are of course MSE, but also every time I've tried download the suggested programs, it always fails in FIrefox (my default browser). I could download fine in safe mode. I did try using IE on this last program in normal mode, though, and it did fine. Not sure if this issue is relevant though or just a quirk with Firefox itself.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

OK it may be a dotnet error so lets try the MS fixit first

Run the MSFixit on this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Fixit ran sucessfully. MSE install fails.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Could you confirm that windows firewall is turned on

1. Click the Start button. In the search box, type Windows Firewall, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Firewall.

2. In the navigation pane, click Turn Windows Firewall on or off.

3. For each group of settings shown, select Turn on Windows Firewall, and then click OK.

Then try once more to install

pianoplayer07

pianoplayer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

All sections were turned on. Still no sucess.