Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring files between two PC's?

• Please log in to reply

Nimation

Nimation

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

I wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if it's posted in inappropriate section. So I wanna transfer files between my laptop ( on Windows 8 ) and my computer ( on Windows XP) like to make a homegroup and share files using Wi-Fi connection so I tried different tutorials on the internet but had no luck with that.  What is the easiest method to do this?

Edited by Nimation, 29 April 2014 - 08:09 AM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Homegroup doesn't exist on Windows XP only on Windows 7 and above.

Do you have idea about the amount of data you want to transfer?

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure.. about 100 Gb. Does that mean there's absolutely no way to connect windows xp to windows 8?

Edited by Nimation, 30 April 2014 - 12:10 PM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Do both machines have a wired network card / connection available?

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Do both machines have a wired network card / connection available?

Yes!

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

For that amount of data, the best way to transfer the data is via a CROSSOVER network cable.  You should be able to pick up one at a computer store or have one made for you.  A X-over cable will allow you to connect the two wired network cards directly (without a router, etc.) and create an 'ad-hoc network' between the two systems.  Search the Help functions on each machine for ad-hoc and follow the directions.  Once the data is transferred, you could leave the cable connected to the desktop and un-plug the laptop's connection.  That way you can just plug the laptop back in and sync, transfer, etc. whenever you want to.

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

For that amount of data, the best way to transfer the data is via a CROSSOVER network cable.  You should be able to pick up one at a computer store or have one made for you.  A X-over cable will allow you to connect the two wired network cards directly (without a router, etc.) and create an 'ad-hoc network' between the two systems.  Search the Help functions on each machine for ad-hoc and follow the directions.  Once the data is transferred, you could leave the cable connected to the desktop and un-plug the laptop's connection.  That way you can just plug the laptop back in and sync, transfer, etc. whenever you want to.

I guess that would solve the problem, thanks!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure.. about 100 Gb. Does that mean there's absolutely no way to connect windows xp to windows 8?

I ask about the amount of data because for smaller size it's simpler to install Dropbox on both machines and have some folders synchronized between the machines, with the bonus of having the files backuped on the Could and accessible anywhere.

If both computers are connected to the same network by wireless or cable you can share folders between them.
Check the following Microsoft article about Sharing files and printers on the top right select the Windows version you are using to share the files and/or printer.

Nimation

Nimation

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

^^ Thanks. I'll give it a go.

EDIT: I followed the guide step by step and still nothing. Maybe it's antivirus firewall that's blocking the ports that should be open. My PC has AVG installed on it and I know how to work with it but I'm not quite familiar with ESET smart security installed on my laptop. Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Nimation, 03 May 2014 - 06:40 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken the AVG 2014 firewall include some options specific for file and print sharing.

For ESET maybe this article helps?