Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Random restarts and trouble turning on

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer has been randomly restarting for about two weeks now. I can be doing anything on it, and it will restart for no apparent reason. After restart it seems to have trouble booting back up. The power button on the front of the case usually starts flickering sporadically, and I have to hit the switch on the power supply to turn it off, and then give the computer a good thump and it seems to start working again, usually for a few more hours before it starts all over again. I'm thinking it might be the psu, but I'm not ruling out the motherboard or cpu. I was just hoping to get input from others on what they think it might be before I go and spend money.

I've checked all connections, and gave everything a thorough cleaning with air. And I'm pretty sure it's not over heating, I've been running motherboard monitor and the CPU never get's over 35 celsius even under load, and the motherboard seems to stay right at 25 celsius at all times

Win XP pro
P4 2.8ghz 800mhz fsb
1 gig PC3200 running dual channel
ATI Radeon 9600xt 256mb
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro-G motherboard
Allied ALB-500w PSU

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
It may help to turn on BSODs in your computer properties. That way you can have some idea as to what's causing Windows to die, if it isn't a hardware issue.

This can be done by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

But yea it could be the psu the one you are using is low quality you should not give it a "good thump" this could "thump" something else loose and cause more problems but you probably already know this.

Post your voltages so we can have a look but alot of times with a flaky psu they look ok at the time of reading them but go low or high for a split second causing the reboot.